View Poll Results: How do I feel about smoking & dancing?

Voters
181. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love smoky dance floors

4 2.21%
  • I don't mind smoky dance floors

12 6.63%
  • I put up with smoky dance floors

6 3.31%
  • I don't like smoky dance floors

21 11.60%
  • I hate smoky dance floors

104 57.46%
  • I'm making a stand and won't go anywhere near a smoky dance floor

34 18.78%
Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking and Dancing don't mix

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by TheTramp
    Pammy, you don't scare me at all.
    I hope you realise that it is really really dangerous not to be scared of Pammy!

Boomer, I thought you'd taken the pledge to give it up, so what's all this coughing? Or have I got my members mixed up?

Greg

Thought it was about time I added my ten pence worth on this subject...

I run three Ceroc nights in South East London..

Wednesdays and Sundays at Charlton and Tuesdays in Greenwich.

The Charlton venue has always been a smoking venue, The Tramp paid us a visit some months back and commented on the smoke. I don't believe in banning smoking as this is discrimination to smokers ( please note I am a non smoker).
    Around 30% of our clientele are in fact smokers and smoke outside or in the bar area. We no longer put ash trays on the tables to discourage smoking near the dance floor. I do feel this has worked and do not see the need to put a ban in place for the forseeable future

Greenwich however is completely non smoking due to the venue policy not mine( its the old town hall). There is a fire escape landing which the white stick brigade use and do not comment either way.

To me (as A non smoker) I haven't noticed the difference in the smoke levels on the dance floors.

I have been away for a few weeks, but it is my intention to survey our members again as to there preference of smoking or non, but I beleive they will all be fairly indifferent.

On the back of this we will make a business decision based on the needs/wants of our members.

If any of you are regulars or indeed have visited any of my venues, please post as I would be interested in your views.

Andy, if you wish to publish us on the list of smoking venues ofr now then please do, but as a businessmen my obligation is to keep the majority of our dancers happy.... If after my survey this changes I will let you know...

regards,

Originally posted by Sheepman
    I hope you realise that it is really really dangerous not to be scared of Pammy!
    Boomer, I thought you'd taken the pledge to give it up, so what's all this coughing? Or have I got my members mixed up?
    Greg
    Nope, you've got your members straight, I've just had a recent relapse unfortunately. Am gearing-up again, but that's by-the-by.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Dan Hudson
    I don't believe in banning smoking as this is discrimination to smokers ( please note I am a non smoker).
    Would you ban yobs who occasionally punched people in the face whilst dancing? or what that also be discrimination ? Im being serious here, smoking bans appear because it is something that affects other people not because you want to discriminate against a type of person ?! As a venue manager it is of course up to you what you do, but i hardly think a smoking ban would be discrimination by the normal definition

i.e. Treatment or consideration based on class or category rather than individual merit; partiality or prejudice: racial discrimination; discrimination against foreigners.

you choose to be a smoker you dont choose to be foreign, or short, or ugly etc..
    Originally posted by Dan Hudson
    but as a businessmen my obligation is to keep the majority of our dancers happy
    You quoted 30% as smokers, so you must mean you want to keep the minority happy surely ?

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo
    Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    You quoted 30% as smokers, so you must mean you want to keep the minority happy surely ?
    Only if you assume that the other 70% have the same opinion as Andy, and that is not true, otherwise there would only be smokers at that venue.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by azande
    Only if you assume that the other 70% have the same opinion as Andy, and that is not true, otherwise there would only be smokers at that venue.
    they dont have to have the same opinion as Andy - they have to be happy : so when asked would you be happy to breath in smoke? they would have to reply yes to be included in with the smokers surely ? Unless you're suggesting they are happy regardless of smoke, but if pressed would they really answer yes to the above question ?
    Last edited by Dreadful Scathe; 1st-October-2003 at 04:42 PM.

As I posted, a brief survey or our dancers recently showed a great indifference towards a smoking ban.

Due to the current trend in non- smoking venues, I will be carrying out a further survey.

If you wish to vote I suggest you come down

Confirmed Forum Plant Siobhan (Forum Plant)'s Avatar
    I HATE smoking, it's the single most disgusting habit EVER!!!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Siobhan
    I HATE smoking, it's the single most disgusting habit EVER!!!
    Its not as disgusting as something i just thought of

The Forum Legend
    Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    Its not as disgusting as something i just thought of
    You really n eed to stop watching so much Monty Python, DS

Steve

Registered User Tazmanian Devil's Avatar
    The Charlton venue has always been a smoking venue, The Tramp paid us a visit some months back and commented on the smoke. I don't believe in banning smoking as this is discrimination to smokers ( please note I am a non smoker).
    Dan, Well said Darling.
    Last edited by Tazmanian Devil; 2nd-October-2003 at 12:46 AM.

originally posted by Dreadful Scathe Would you ban yobs who occasionally punched people in the face whilst dancing? or what that also be discrimination ?

Your having a laugh. Violence is something that is not tolerated any where you go. Smoking on the other hand is not banned from every where you go only some places it's not like when you are smoking you could put somebody straight into hospital with broken ribs and a bruised up face now is it!! I guess your a non-smoker! :rolleyes

The Forum Legend
    Originally posted by Tazmanian Devil
    Smoking on the other hand is not banned from every where you go

I guess your a non-smoker!
    Ummm. Not yet. In 1998, a complete ban on smoking in public places came into effect in California. Next year, Norway is expected to do the same. I don't think it'll be that long before the UK follows too.

And I guess that you're a smoker

Steve

Originally posted by TheTramp
    Ummm. Not yet. In 1998, a complete ban on smoking in public places came into effect in California. Next year, Norway is expected to do the same. I don't think it'll be that long before the UK follows too.

And I guess that you're a smoker

Steve
    As far as California goes didn't many people stop going to the bars and clubs once the ban was put into place? I remember a few years back there was a programe on the telly about the non-smoking issue saying that the business was actually suffering in califiornia since the ban was put into place and many people were going over the border to pubs and clubs.
    at the end of the day there will always be smokers around and if smoking is banned from peoples regular venues then they will just go dance else where wont they. Carla

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Your having a laugh. Violence is something that is not tolerated any where you go. Smoking on the other hand is not banned from every where you go only some places
    You quoted me out of context - what I said was Would you ban yobs who occasionally punched people in the face whilst dancing? or what that also be discrimination ?

Its the discrimination part that was the point - i dont think banning smokers would be discrimination as, just like violence, it is something inflicted on others who may not welcome it. Totally different from real discrimination such as banning short people, or people with blue skin .

it's not like when you are smoking you could put somebody straight into hospital with broken ribs and a bruised up face now is it!! I guess your a non-smoker!
    No, instead you put them into hospital to die from cancer. Remember Roy Castle ? Does the fact that it takes a while to be affected alter the seriousness of it in anyway?

Good guess though

Hi all,

here's a link to a new article in Nature about passive smoking FYI. Basically they injected tumour cells into two groups of mice. One group was then made to breathe second hand smoke and the other received clean air. While both groups developed tumours (as you'd expect) the ones with smoke exposure had larger tumours. The one criticism of the study, however, was that they used very high levels of passive smoking.

J

Commercial Operator
    many people were going over the border to pubs and clubs.
    Great, let's do the same, get them all going to France, where of course it's illegal to smoke in bars and cafes, but they just don't take any notice. I even complained to a proprietor there earlier this year as I was choking on the smoke. He just shrugged his shoulders and said "this is France".

This could be an issue with the planned dance trip to Paris?

At least when it happens here, I think most venues will start to respect customer's rights to breathe easily. But I can't really see it being a manifesto pledge for anyone but the Greens; hey maybe it's time for a change in political direction.

Greg

it's not like when you are smoking you could put somebody straight into hospital with broken ribs and a bruised up face now is it!! I guess your a non-smoker! :rolleyes
    I'd rather end up in hospital instantly with a broken nose, than with terminal lung cancer 30 years down the line....

Commercial Operator
    Your having a laugh. Violence is something that is not tolerated any where you go. Smoking on the other hand is not banned from every where you go only some places it's not like when you are smoking you could put somebody straight into hospital with broken ribs and a bruised up face now is it!! I guess your a non-smoker! :rolleyes
    He is NOT laughing. And you have got it completely wrong. Smoking near people is worse than voilence. There is now clear evidence that passive smoking puts you in hospital. And with nothing so trivial as broken ribs or bruising. You go into hospital with cancer and you come out dead.

at the end of the day there will always be smokers around and if smoking is banned from peoples regular venues then they will just go dance else where wont they. Carla [/B]
    GOOD!!!!! I certainly hope so!! Can't stand smoking.

Heather,
    Xx

Thread Information