View Poll Results: How do I feel about smoking & dancing?

Voters
181. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love smoky dance floors

4 2.21%
  • I don't mind smoky dance floors

12 6.63%
  • I put up with smoky dance floors

6 3.31%
  • I don't like smoky dance floors

21 11.60%
  • I hate smoky dance floors

104 57.46%
  • I'm making a stand and won't go anywhere near a smoky dance floor

34 18.78%
Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking and Dancing don't mix

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Chris
    Errrmmmm . . . but I thought Virginia Woolf was a smoker anyway? (I can be really slow on the uptake - hours - so do explain if I've missed the joke)

Or are we just talking Old Virginia?

Sincerely

Mrs Dalloway
    Chris, I admire your bravery in mentioning Virginia and making a reference to age in the same sentence. Virginia looks quite scary to me - but then I am scared of all women

Yes, Virginia is a smoker. But she is also in business. If we can show her that it would mean more £6s through the door if she made her venues non-smoking she might go for it.

I would prefer it if we didn't turn this thread into a Ceroc Kent bashing thread. Please name other venues where the dance floors are smoky. If you'd prefer to do it anonymously send me a pm and I'll do it.

To start the ball rolling, Ceroc Horsham is really smoky and Steve Nash is also a smoker

He's also a really nice guy who teaches a good, fun lesson

Originally posted by Andy McGregor
    but then I am scared of all women
    And so all men should be, right girls?

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Pammy
    Ah, and so he's back, with his usual flurry of cheap lines. Oh how I missed him

Px
    No I'm not really back, just waiting for my MS updates (~3 hours) and my on line insurance quote (~1/2 hour and counting), and I had to say something about Saturday night.
    But I know you don't believe me!
    In my wonderfully smoke free environment, and yippee! It's raining at last, first time in months, garden's wetter, car's cleaner, . . . oh no it was just a shower.
    And that quote is till running zzzzzz . . .

G x

Chris, I admire your bravery in mentioning Virginia and making a reference to age in the same sentence. Virginia looks quite scary to me . . . But she is also in business.
    seems I'm way off lol - the only Virginia Woolf I know of is the novelist - and she topped herself some while ago so I guess she would be pretty scary if she's still running a business - thought there was an obscure literary reference there that I'd missed

Definitely wasn't Virginia bashing old or new - especially old (literary) VG's concept of 'moments of being' is one that is wonderful for dancers too

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Chris
    seems I'm way off lol - the only Virginia Woolf I know of is the novelist - and she topped herself some while ago so I guess she would be pretty scary if she's still running a business - thought there was an obscure literary reference there that I'd missed
    I was only making a literary reference in passing.

I have never spoken to the currently living Virginia Woolf who owns Ceroc Kent. I've been at a few classes where she's been teaching. She seem's like a formidable woman and not to be messed with. Hence the 'scary' reference.

But, as I said, we're all dancers and we love dancing. And that means we naturally feel warmly towards the people who put on dance nights. This puts us in a difficult situation. Do we stop going to Ceroc Kent venues? If the alternative is to stop dancing then the answer must be to keep going and try to dance where we can't smell the smoke. To not dance is inconceivable Personally, I'll go to venues where I know it isn't smoky.

I don't know what positive action to suggest next. Has anyone else got any suggestions that don't involve voting with our feet? And that's not just Ceroc Kent that's all smoking venues.

To not dance is inconceivable Personally, I'll go to venues where I know it isn't smoky.

I don't know what positive action to suggest next. Has anyone else got any suggestions that don't involve voting with our feet?
    Miss Scary doesn’t sound like a close pal – are you sure she’ll listen to your ideas?

Options:
    • Make supportive suggestions – eg notices requesting smokers use the outside area (Does she smoke? Different approaches required according to answer!)
    • Put up with it
    • Foot vote

I’ve tried all three successfully at different times and still do. Some things are beyond our control. Not dancing is conceivable, just hard, and easier once the decision’s made. Sometimes a manager won’t listen to good advice so it cuts down your options. But a lot of people say the best way to learn salsa or lindy is to take a sabbatical on ceroc. After all, it’s her club. It’s your life. {end blue peter fix it mode}

The Forum Legend
    Have to say, (and just bumping this thread back into the public view again), that I've known Virginia for quite some time. She was the first franchisee to put me forward to be a teacher. And she's not at all scary.

I demo'd for her at my last dance down south before moving away, and had a really nice evening.....

Steve

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by TheTramp
    Have to say, (and just bumping this thread back into the public view again), that I've known Virginia for quite some time. She was the first franchisee to put me forward to be a teacher. And she's not at all scary.

I demo'd for her at my last dance down south before moving away, and had a really nice evening....
    Hi Tramp, where have you been, I thought you were the 'Forum Legend'?

Of course you aren't scared of Virginia - you're not scared of anyone

Maybe you could talk Virginia into doing something about the smoking

The Forum Legend
    Hi Tramp, where have you been, I thought you were the 'Forum Legend'?

Of course you aren't scared of Virginia - you're not scared of anyone
    Oh. I've been here. Watching you!

And there's loads of people that I'm scared of. My mother tops the list of course.

Steve

And there's loads of people that I'm scared of. My mother tops the list of course.
    Where do I come?

The Original Scooby Dave Hancock's Avatar
    Where do I come?
    Ohhhh, so easy to go upstairs on this:sorry :sorry

The Forum Legend
    Originally posted by Dave Hancock
    Ohhhh, so easy to go upstairs on this:sorry :sorry
    Uh huh. But I'll resist the temptation, since we'd like this thread to stay downstairs

Pammy, you don't scare me at all. But is this just a case of lulling me into a true sense of security?

Steve

Pammy, you don't scare me at all. But is this just a case of lulling me into a true sense of security?
    It worked then

And I want to know who was the one person who said they loved a smokey dance floor? Was this a mis-click? Was it you Boo Boo?

Px

Commercial Operator

Steve
    I've seen the size of your head. Your mother has every reason to get her revenge...

The least you could do is smoke so she can see you suffer

The Forum Legend
    Nah. She's heard about you, and reckons that me knowing you is suffering enough for a head twice as big as mine

Steve

Cat fight!!

I've seen the size of your head. Your mother has every reason to get her revenge...
    The least you could do is smoke so she can see you suffer
    oooo you bi**h
    Nah. She's heard about you, and reckons that me knowing you is suffering enough for a head twice as big as mine
    Steve

meow! (touche)
    And I want to know who was the one person who said they loved a smokey dance floor? Was this a mis-click? Was it you Boo Boo?Px
    Who's Boo Boo..do you mean me!?! or am I just feeling tender and paranoid I couldn't see what I voted for due to the billowing clouds of noxiuos-death streaming from my malignant white stick

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Cat fight!!

Originally posted by Boomer

Who's Boo Boo..do you mean me!?! or am I just feeling tender and paranoid I couldn't see what I voted for due to the billowing clouds of noxiuos-death streaming from my malignant white stick
    boo-boo is a bear isnt he ? noxiuos - thats a brilliant word you just made up - can i have it ?

From now on cough you should cough put the word cough cough cough after nearly every cough other word. This will cough serve cough to remind cough you and cough us that you cough are still one cough of the cough white stick burner brigade.

(where's the coughing smiley )

Re: Re: Cat fight!!

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    boo-boo is a bear isnt he ? noxiuos - thats a brilliant word you just made up - can i have it ?
    It's all yours...just please spell it correctly, I couldn't

(where's the coughing smiley ) [/B]
    You ever tried smiling while coughing at the same time!?! Doesn't half make your eyes bulge

Re: Re: Cat fight!!

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    (where's the coughing smiley )
    They used to have a little green one on the London forum, maybe that was it??!!

And yes Boomer, Boo Boo is you; endearing term for a well-loved bear (you know me, anything to steer away from the whole monkey theme!)

Px

Re: Re: Re: Cat fight!!

And yes Boomer, Boo Boo is you; endearing term for a well-loved bear (you know me, anything to steer away from the whole monkey theme!)

Px
    cough gorilla cough is an cough ape cough steer cough is cough bovine cough

I actually think I voted for not liking a smokey dance-floor, can't quite remember.

Thread Information