View Poll Results: How do I feel about smoking & dancing?

Voters
181. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love smoky dance floors

4 2.21%
  • I don't mind smoky dance floors

12 6.63%
  • I put up with smoky dance floors

6 3.31%
  • I don't like smoky dance floors

21 11.60%
  • I hate smoky dance floors

104 57.46%
  • I'm making a stand and won't go anywhere near a smoky dance floor

34 18.78%
Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking and Dancing don't mix

Versailles (yeah, in the chateau itself !)
    Just want to say a big "thank you" to Ceroc (Scotland) and Route 66 for banning smoking near the dance floor.... and what a pleasure to be at Beach Boogie where smoking was banned indoors.

Went to Leroc a couple of weeks ago (only cos it was a Bank holiday honest !!!) and found it very smoky and will not go back unless their policy changes.

It only takes one smoker to make the entire place disgusting for the non smokers...... oh yeh and they ARE killing us too... nice....

Wxxx (holding back !!!)

PS Yes... I used to be a smoker..... and most smokers would have ME stoned cos I am "even worse than the smokers" !!!!... we might be very sensitive, opinionated and have a superiority complex but we are not knowingly killing anybody .... (still holding back !!!!!!)...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Grant
    that's not extreme
    an earlier story on bbc contained this quote
    'Almost five million people died from smoking-related diseases across the world in 2000, researchers estimate.'
    what about Car accidents - mobile phones are banned as a distraction but are holding lit objects in one hand and driving with the other...NO

WENDY: stop holding back

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Wendy
    Just want to say a big "thank you" to Ceroc (Scotland) and Route 66 for banning smoking near the dance floor.... and what a pleasure to be at Beach Boogie where smoking was banned indoors.

It only takes one smoker to make the entire place disgusting for the non smokers...... oh yeh and they ARE killing us too... nice....

Wxxx (holding back !!!)

.... (still holding back !!!!!!)...
    Beach Boogie was great wasn't it? And I know some of the dancers were also smokers. But they are also nice people, they didn't smoke indoors and make us breathe their smoke if we wanted to carry on dancing. Unlike the 'Smoking Smurfs' of Rochester

What do these people who smoke next to the dance floor think they're doing? Haven't they thought about it or don't they care? If they say they didn't think it was a problem for us they haven't read the rest of this thread.

And, Wendy, please don't hold back. I know I am holding back because I'm a small, weak man who could get punched on the nose You are a Scottish woman - there is nothing more scary. Who'd take you on and expect to survive

Beach Boogie was great !! Even although I missed almost all of the workshops cos I think I was the one who started the dreaded lergy !!!!!! Apologies to everyone else who got it !!!! Almost as bad as blowing smoke in someone's face !!!!

Smokers are drug addicts and I don't hate them as people.... even Azande is a friend of mine !!!! I do hate the smelly hands, the smelly breath and the first hint of smoke in a pub or anywhere else.... and the rest...

I treat dancing as a sport (OK a fun one where flirting is legal!!) and I just can't imagine doing aerobics in a smoky atmosphere.. or going to a gym where there is a table in the corner with half a dozen smokers looking on....

Don't hold back you say ???..... OK IMH(ha ha)O, smoking is a form of Russian roulette.... Can you imagine employing someone or having a relationship with someone who said "I'm just going outside for 5 minutes - have you seen my gun ??" ........ I mean why can't they just be addicted to something constructive... like .... dancing or ... something....

Wxxx

PS I'm particularly crabby right now cos I am addicted to dancing.. I admit it !!! .... I have injured my knee and I am even more miserable than when I gave up cigarettes.... oh and I used to be addicted to the forum.... oops have I fallen off the wagon I wonder ?????
    Last edited by Wendy; 17th-September-2003 at 09:27 PM.

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo
    Yes... I used to be a smoker..... and most smokers would have ME stoned cos I am "even worse than the smokers" !!!!...
    It's true that I consider reformed smokers WORSE than non smokers; what I never understood was whether they are pontificating from the height of their moral standards and superiority complex or from the height of their guilt for having inflicted the same thing to other people with no qualms at all when they were smokers.

Can you imagine employing someone or having a relationship with someone who said "I'm just going outside for 5 minutes - have you seen my gun ??"
    Graham, any comments on this?

Commercial Operator
    and I used to be addicted to the forum....
    Giving up is tough isn't it?

Saying Beach Boogie was great is a bit like saying Phil Collins listens to bland stuff when he wants background music! It was fab, brilliant, amazing, (but in some ways last year was better.) Such a shame you were struck down with the bug, but I know someone who arrived with a bug, so you shouldn't claim responsibility yet.

And to get back on thread, I did have a problem with the smokers there!

OK this wasn't major, but I often needed to get outside to cool off, or escape the hoards of women (maybe that was just in my head!) or even for a chat (shock horror). As soon as I was out of the door I was in the smokers territory, needing to gambol off and look like a loony in the field to get fresh air. This applied to both "back" and "front" entrances, but was maybe worse at the back as this was more accessible. Perhaps I'll ask Nina if one of these can be a smoke free area next year.

Please get that injury sorted fast, and make sure you're fit and healthy for Camber!

Greg x

Originally posted by Sheepman
    This applied to both "back" and "front" entrances, but was maybe worse at the back as this was more accessible.
    He goes quiet for weeks, and then comes back full throttle with a line like that!

Well, I might have let it go, had he not have used a word like "Phil Collins" in his last post. I bet that's done it now; the thread won't be moved upstairs, but where Phil's concerned, it should be moved to the recycle bin.

Sorry, I should've said previously that I have a phobia of monkeys and Phil Collins.

Px

Originally posted by azande
    Graham, any comments on this?
    I certainly wouldn't want to employ or have a relationship with someone who played Russian roulette. But I view smoking as a diluted form of the madness - although the chances of death (assuming you continue to smoke) are higher, it does not kill you instantly, so although it is ill-advised, and clearly a form of self-harm, it does not require you to disregard the consequences to the same (insane) level each time you do it. So as you well know, I have in the past been prepared to have a relationship with a smoker, and currently have friends who smoke. Obviously I would prefer they didn't.

You get the impression some people on this site would shoot dead a smoker if they saw the chance

Give them a break

ps I'm a non smoker but each to their own

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by stewart38
    You get the impression some people on this site would shoot dead a smoker if they saw the chance

Give them a break
    Hi Stewart38, this thread is about smoky dance floors not smokers. Smokers are people too and we love everyone in the world of dance. We're just asking the smokers that make dance floors smoky to give us a break so we can dance in clean air

ps I'm a non smoker but each to their own
    I agree with you. If they kept their smoke 'to their own' none of us would have a problem

I feel a little guilty about attacking the smokers in my previous posts instead of just talking about smoky dancefloors...... and maybe I am also guilty of being harsh cos I know it is possible to quit the habit and so wish they would too....

Wxxx

Commercial Operator
    I feel a little guilty about attacking the smokers in my previous posts instead of just talking about smoky dancefloors...... and maybe I am also guilty of being harsh cos I know it is possible to quit the habit and so wish they would too....

Wxxx
    Don't feel even a little guilty. We wouldn't have smoky dance floors if it wasn't for smokers. You are not attacking them, you're acting in self-defence - they started it. If anyone except smokers did us as much harm we'd call it assault The only reason that smokers get away with it is that smoking is legal. Maybe we need a change in the law to make it illegal for smokers to allow their smoke to 'assault' other people. That would take the responsibility away from venue owners and put it where it belongs, with the smokers.

The statisticians tell us that most smokers want to quit. But they can't. You're an example to them to show it can be done. All you need to do to prove you're right is to live/dance longer than smokers

I was just reading in the free newspaper today how smoking costs the NHS about a million a year and the tax from tobacco is about seven times that (not to mention the thousands of jobs connected with the industry, and the large sums that restaurant and pub owners claim they will lose if a nationwide ban is introduced.)

I have always thought myself very lucky in regards smoking - for many years (though not now) I've had an occasional cigarette without feeling the slightest addiction. Once I even lit up in response to the moral outrage of a few reformed smokers ...

(You can imagine the scene - boardroom meeting some years ago - a smoker lights up, being careful to hold the smoke well away from the group so it goes out of an open window - immediately told how disgusting it was etc etc - I'm afraid I think he was being more considerate on that occasion that his denigrators )

Many people find the addiction very hard to beat and hate themselves for it (and they are not just 'stupid' - my old professor, a leading light in her field, was and probably still is hopelessly addicted). I think such smokers maybe deserve a bit of sympathy (especially if they are considerate of non-smokers who find the habit very offensive).

It's hard to say what to do about it. I think more work on helping people to quit would be good (MSP Health Minister Malcolm Chisholm has just launched a well-heeled campaign in this direction). I also think we could be a bit less biassed - nobody likes being spoken to as if to a child (as some campaigns and anti-smoking lobbies sometimes do) - there are many 'benefits' of smoking (aids short-term digestion, alertness etc) it's just that the disadvantages outweigh them manyfold and people need to be able to choose themselves, and given help.

Finally (continuing this devil's advocate thread ), not to mention the 'behind the bike sheds' type chat and gossip that smokers alone often share(!) <g,d&r> there is one other time that I have found cigarettes useful and almost indispensable...

When travelling alone in a 3rd world country and you have no common language, the offer of a cigarette is an almost universally understood gesture of friendship. We have gotten to almost the exact opposite in the Western world - there are places in California where you can't even smoke in the open air within so many metres of a parking meter. I think smoking is especially inappropriate in most 'health based' activity areas (which I include Ceroc, but not all modern dancing) but I hope it's possible to hold to our views on that without having a witch hunt on smokers generally.

I think there is a big difference between stopping smoking on or at dance venues and attacking smokers.

If alcohol was dicovered today it would be band as an addictive drug but should we band it ?

Yes keep smoking out of venues but please do not set out to think smokers are a sub species.

Commercial Operator
    I think there is a big difference between stopping smoking on or at dance venues and attacking smokers.

Yes keep smoking out of venues but please do not set out to think smokers are a sub species.
    Stewart38 is right. We should not attack smokers. But I think we should take positive action against smokers when they interfere with our own health. They're a bit like drivers, we're all drivers and we do our utmost to ensure that we don't hurt anyone - but some drivers are irresponsible and drive in a way which could and occasionaly does cause injury or even death. And some smokers are irresponsible too - but most aren't. We should not vilify all smokers for the actions of the few irresponsible ones. But we should not tolerate the irresponsible ones either as their action could cause us harm.

Irresponsible inconsiderate smokers beware, you can't hide - we can smell you

And for the latest update on the Ceroc Kent situation, I have received a reply. Here it is.

Dear Andy

Thank you for your informative comments and feedback regarding smoking.

We will indeed be giving the matter our full consideration.

In the meantime, we would remind you that 3 of our venues are already 'Non Smoking':

1. The Stag Theatre, Sevenoaks - Wednesdays. A well ventilated 'Art Deco' style venue

2. The Park Langley Club, Wickham Way, Beckenham - Fridays. A brand new Sports Centre, complete with air conditioning and balcony.

3. The Dance Studio, Birchwood Golf Club, Wilmington - our Sunday Workshop Venue.

Yours sincerely,

Virginia Woolf

Here is my reply

Dear Virginia

Thank you for your response. It's heartening to find that some of your venues are non-smoking.

However, this is obviously not due to any policy of Ceroc Kent. I have telephoned the 3 venues and they have all told me that they have an existing no smoking policy. This means that you have no choice but to make those venues no smoking.

As you say, you are giving this matter your full consideration. When do you think you will have completed your deliberations? I only ask this so I can decide whether or not I will list your smoking venues when I start producing the list in early October.

Yours sincerely

Andy McGregor

I think my reply needs no further comment.

So, from the list on the Ceroc Kent website, that means that there's smoking at the 9 following venues;

Bromley - Thursdays

Canterbury - Wednesdays

Croydon - Tuesdays

Gravesend - Thursdays

Hayes - Tuesdays

Orpington - Wednesdays

Maidstone - Thursdays

Rochester - Mondays

Welling - Mondays

Does anyone on the Forum have any alternatives to suggest for us non-smokers who care about our health, sense of smell, personal freshness, etc, etc, etc?

Andy what kind of tobacco do you smoke in that pipe ?

Originally posted by Andy McGregor
    Yours sincerely,
    Virginia Woolf
    Errrmmmm . . . but I thought Virginia Woolf was a smoker anyway? (I can be really slow on the uptake - hours - so do explain if I've missed the joke)

Or are we just talking Old Virginia?

Sincerely

Mrs Dalloway

Commercial Operator
    Andy what kind of tobacco do you smoke in that pipe ?
    I did say ages ago that it's just a cork with an orange stick in it. I also said that I believe Popeye would be alive today if he hadn't smoked

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Chris
    Errrmmmm . . . but I thought Virginia Woolf was a smoker anyway?

Sincerely

Mrs Dalloway
    Now I know telling fiction from fact can sometimes be hard on this forum - Virginia Woolf is her real name, one of the most successful Ceroc franchise operators, a serious businesswoman from what I hear, (look at that list of venues for starters), but I've never been to any of her venues. (Does this explain her success? )

So maybe her parents were having a joke, just like those of my former colleague Ms Schip, first name Anka.
    If she was off sick, it was "Anka's away!" (She was always a handy port in a storm though ). And as far as I know, not a dancer, so won't be reading this )

Greg

Originally posted by Sheepman
    She was always a handy port in a storm though )
    Ah, and so he's back, with his usual flurry of cheap lines. Oh how I missed him

Px

Thread Information