View Poll Results: How do I feel about smoking & dancing?

Voters
181. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love smoky dance floors

4 2.21%
  • I don't mind smoky dance floors

12 6.63%
  • I put up with smoky dance floors

6 3.31%
  • I don't like smoky dance floors

21 11.60%
  • I hate smoky dance floors

104 57.46%
  • I'm making a stand and won't go anywhere near a smoky dance floor

34 18.78%
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 243031323334

Thread: Smoking and Dancing don't mix

Re: Smoking and Dancing don't mix

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    People often discuss things to gain understanding. I didnt say any of your points were nonsense did I? Feel free to help me understand.

As its important to me lets go back to this

Lets assume A cant drink or smoke . If he drinks he dies if he smokes he dies

If he goes into pub the smell of smoke and drink (drink in the air on peoples breaths etc etc) sets of craving and he drinks and smokes and dies

Lets assume B cant drink but hates smoking and has never smoked

The smell of drink could tempt him , if he drink he dies. The smell of smoke doesnt encourage him to smoke in fact it makes him/her more against it. To HIM/HER the smell of smoke is disgusting ! He cant see how anyone would crave a cigarette after smelling the fumes but he is not addicted so how can he/she ?

Lets assume C He/she can drink but cant smoke . They are not 'aware' of the smell of drink , He/she doesnt have to be careful what they pick up as drink doesnt kill them. They smell smoke and crave it.

B couldnt understand where C is coming from and vice virsa

Maybe I shouldn't have posted on craving, as my main concern is that I've given up smoking for my health and I bitterly resent passive smoking now for the impact it has on my health, not because it gives me cravings. Anyone who craves anything has a choice whether to resist that craving or give in to it. The point really at issue on this whole thread is the impact on health of the non-smoker (whether they are an ex-smoker or have never smoked) - and I shouldn't have diverted it, sorry.

But since I have, then Stewart, if you want to turn this thread into a discussion on whether it's harder for a recovering alcoholic to be around drink or a recovering smoker to be around smoke, then count me out of any further discussion. I'm addressing you because you've quoted me a couple of times.

I never heard of anyone dying from passive drinking. Therefore, being around smokers is worse for non-smokers than being around drinkers is for non-drinkers from the point of view of physical health. But I'm not making a value judgement as to whether addiction to cigarettes is "worse" than addiction to alcohol from the point of view of mental health. My mother couldn't stop drinking so she died of liver failure. Which a) means that I'm hardly in a position to claim that it's easier for an alcoholic to give up drinking than it is for a smoker to give up smoking and b) means that this discussion is far too close to home and as I'm getting good at quitting stuff then I'm quitting this thread too.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38
    As its important to me lets go back to this

Lets assume A cant drink or smoke . If he drinks he dies if he smokes he dies

If he goes into pub the smell of smoke and drink (drink in the air on peoples breaths etc etc) sets of craving and he drinks and smokes and dies
    A is clearly not going to survive long if he/she ever goes into a pub, not just that but if he/she knows they will die from imbibing and they act on a craving - they are clearly suicidal

B couldnt understand where C is coming from and vice virsa
    I can see what you're saying but B and C will be able to see where each other are coming from with a simple explanation. They already have a craving so they know whats its like. Its harder to explain something where there is no point of reference.

Still - I dont think theres much of a comparison between drinking and smoking outwith the pub situation and if you were trying not to set off 'cravings' you would not put yourself in that situation. Its only in the last 10 years or so that smoking has gradually become less socially acceptable yet you still find smokers everywhere and are a victim of passive smoking on a daily basis no matter where you go. The same can not be said for drink, outwith the pub there isnt really anywhere you have the smell of drink overwhelming you.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Over the last few weeks I've been to 4 different classes and a dance where I've danced in a smoky atmosphere
    Was it really 2003 that I started this campaign? Back in those days people put me on their ignore list because I made a very vociferous stand against smoking

Now we are on the brink of making it happen. I think we can claim a great success - I've not heard of a single jive venue where smoking is still permitted. This means that Sunday will make no difference to any of us, except that we can go to the pub after we've been dancing and come out as "sweet" smelling as we were when we went in.

There are still dancers out there who smoke. But I know of many people who are giving at midnight on Saturday - at least that's what they're saying. Please don't give up giving up - we need you to be around for a lot more dances ...

Thread Information