Thread: Thinking about trying Ceroc

Unregistered

Thinking about trying Ceroc

My hubbie and I are thinking about taking a dance class so we can try to dance together without looking like idiots - this might be impossible but we need to give it a try

I don't know much about ceroc other than what I've read on the website. I have a few questions:

Will this teach us suitable dances for functions such as weddings and dinner dances?

Will we need to buy things like dance shoes and outfits?

What will we need to wear to attend one of these classes? Jeans and trainers or will the make me wear a skirt and 1930's shoes?

How much are the classes at Marco's in Edinburgh and do I need to pay for the whole term in one go?

I hope someone will be able to answer some of these questions. Many thanks,

Jenny

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Thinking about trying Ceroc

Originally posted by Unregistered
    My hubbie and I are thinking about taking a dance class so we can try to dance together without looking like idiots - this might be impossible but we need to give it a try
    nothing wrong with looking like an idiot when dancing, what you saying about me?? just on and you're already getting personal

Will this teach us suitable dances for functions such as weddings and dinner dances?
    Dunno about suitable, depends on the type of functions. It will teach you how to partner dance socially, but if no one else does it you'll be limited to you and hubby. Think of Ceroc or other dance classes as being a gateway to a whole new social circle of people you then try and avoid in the street .

certainly not. Im sure you can force yourself to buy new outfits anyway but new shoes specifically for dancing will be a consideration only when you become a regular and an addict like the rest of us.

What will we need to wear to attend one of these classes? Jeans and trainers or will the make me wear a skirt and 1930's shoes?
    Joking aside....something comfortable that you can move freely in. I can't wear jeans as i feel they're too restricting but some do. Shoe's just need to be reasonably slidy i think but you may or may not like dancing in heels - get a female point of view for that one

How much are the classes at Marco's in Edinburgh and do I need to pay for the whole term in one go?
    hmm you been to a jive course? Ceroc doesnt work that way, it'd be a nightmare to get to a decent standard if it did. Its £6 to get in and you are taught different moves every week - you can go as often or as little as you like.

I hope someone will be able to answer some of these questions.
    there you go but by the time if posted this there'll be 3 other responses no doubt. (feel free to tell me later that mine was the best )

edit -- no responses yet...ooh ...well mine is the best so far anyway

Blog Entries

Fisrt of all if you do go to a class, avoid all small blue "men" until you know all the defenses.

I don't know much about ceroc other than what I've read on the website.

don't believe anything you read here until you see it with your own eyes. I have heard that people make things up

to do with each other yes, but it is very difficult unless you are a very very good lead to dance with muggles

You might well find that you DO buy special shoes and outfits but you certainly don't need them to start with, as a girl I can't recomend ordinary trainers, impossible to spin properly, slippy shoes a good idea. I love my heels when I'm in the mood but hate them if I'm not, if you are a heel kind of gal then try them and see how comfy you feel, take someting flat to change into incase the balance isn't quite working too.
    For your first night (s) you will be fine in jeans if you feel comfortable in them in the real world but as time goes by and you dance more in a night than you did, you will probably find them too hot.

How much are the classes at Marco's in Edinburgh and do I need to pay for the whole term in one go? as above, he tells the truth on this one.

I hope someone will be able to answer some of these questions. Many thanks,

Jenny [/B]

Blog Entries

Re: Re: Thinking about trying Ceroc

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    hmm you been to a jive course? Ceroc doesnt work that way, it'd be a nightmare to get to a decent standard if it did. Its £6 to get in and you are taught different moves every week - you can go as often or as little as you like.
    And because there's no commitment to having to attend a whole term or course, it might be worth your while going along to one class, just to see if you like it. Every venue has brand new beginners coming along each week, so you won't be the only ones starting out...

Btw... there's no need to buy new shoes - but it is a perfect excuse!

Commercial Operator

Re: Re: Re: Thinking about trying Ceroc

Originally posted by Lou
    And because there's no commitment to having to attend a whole term or course, it might be worth your while going along to one class, just to see if you like it.
    OK just go along to one to see what happens, but for most of us it takes 5 or 6 sessions before you really start to enjoy it and the confidence builds - so you have to give it a chance.

And prepare to be amazed at the new world that opens up for you in time!

Greg

I don't know much about ceroc other than what I've read on the website. I have a few questions:

Ceroc teaches one particular style of dancing: modern jive. This is a partner dance which is easy to learn, and can be danced to any music at a reasonable tempo in 4/4 time - this includes virtually all rock/pop music. So if you go to a wedding where they play this type of music, you'll be able to dance (with each other, unless by some coincidence there's someone else there who knows how to do it). Most other people at a wedding are likely to be dancing "disco-style" to this music. However, if you've seen people partner-dancing at functions before it's likely they were dancing in another style, and some other styles require music with a different beat (for example waltz, which is in 3/4 time). As the others have mentioned though, you just pay each time you come, so it's well worth just turning up and having a go to see if you like it.

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi Jenny,

Well you got many replies already

To sum up:

- all classes in Scotland welcome complete Beginners every week. No need to book and once started you can mix and match between all the Ceroc classes available, so no need to commit to a particular day of the week.

- Admission is £6.00 (concessions £5.00) and there is a one-off membership fee of £1.00 on your first night.

- No need to buy any special clothing, just wear what you're comfortable in. Bearing in mind that the nights can get hot, so consider layers.

- You will learn to partner dance to most music played at discos / clubs, as well as Swing etc... Weddings and functions should be fine, except for the waltz!

- Each night starts with a Beginners class, and after the class, we have Taxi-dancers available to help you through what you have just learnt and dance. The evening goes on until 10.30pm, so plan to stay the duration if you can, the more you dance, the faster you learn.

- All Ceroc nights are very social, with bars, friendly dancers and a DJ to play a selection of music... The atmosphere is very relaxed and welcoming, especially to new dancers!

Good luck, and make sure you let us know how you got on

Franck.

I have been to quite a few birthdays, weddings and engagement parties and danced "ceroc" with my wife. {...who dosn't actually dance it, but can be persuaded.}
    I have also managed to dance {without embarasing myself too much} with a few other people that have never done "ceroc", but have done Salsa or been to a few Ceilidh's.
    I have known a few couples who specifically started to come to Ceroc to learn how to dance for their wedding.

So yes, you can dance Ceroc at functions, but whether you (or the other guests) would consider it "Suitable" is a matter of personal opinion. {but I say what the hell; it's good fun }

Unregistered
    Thanks for the replies everyone, you've all been very helpful and I'm looking forward to coming along to one of the classes. Although the more I find out about it, the more it sounds like a night out rather than just a class!

Thanks again!

Jenny

The Forum Legend
    Thanks for the replies everyone, you've all been very helpful and I'm looking forward to coming along to one of the classes. Although the more I find out about it, the more it sounds like a night out rather than just a class!

Thanks again!

Jenny
    Oh. Totally. And some people even go out for a drink after dancing too. Which just rounds it off nicely.

Look forward to seeing you at a class soon (well, more likely one of the month end parties, since it's a little far to go down to Edinburgh to dance on a school night).

Steve

And if all the above doesnt pursuade you, Im a very new convert, just two times so far!! Although I wondered about all the things you did, I went along anyway (encouraged even tho i had no one to go with- taa chaps!) and found it's a really friendly night out and a fun way to learn. Idiots?... well only occasionally - and .. what the heck as long as we're smiling!

Thread Information