Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is and isn't allowed in Posts??

Re: What is and isn't allowed in Posts??

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I'm by no means a geek but if ever I do need a page built, I use nothing but notepad... Can't be arsed with all these programs like "dreamweaver" or whatever else it's called.

Real programmers code in binary
    Hex, once they have acquired a vocabulary.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    Hex, once they have acquired a vocabulary.
    Personally I find ASCII easiest.. And this programmer uses Visual Studio 2005, Delphi 2007 and for some of our legacy dos apps (I mean we have clients who still use those?!!? ) C++

We have deadlines..

Although to program our old legacy handheld's we do have to code in Assembly and dump the code as Hex into the flash via RS232. That's "fun" I can tell you

For all out web stuff it's just plain text. Notepad would do but when you have several hundred pages of HTML, PHP , ASP, etc then a little formatting helps!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    I use HTML Kit which is basically a glorified notepad with formatting. I design all my webpages, CSS scripts and PHP code using this in raw HTML, (or CSS , PHP obviously) and then test, tidy, and upload.

I prefer to write webpages myself from scratch rather than use these WYSIWYG editors.. which IMHO make messy code.
    Eclipse for me. A little bit too heavyweight for my liking in many ways, but incredibly extensible for the multitude of languages / markup languages I'm coding in, with a lot of verrry nice features.

Except on the Mac, where I use BBEdit.

Right there with you on the source editing - I can't stand using the likes of Dreamweaver, and prefer full control over the HTML / CSS etc.

[EDIT]Mind you - just downloading HTML-Kit now, to give it a whirl. Looks good...[/EDIT]

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    [EDIT]Mind you - just downloading HTML-Kit now, to give it a whirl. Looks good...[/EDIT]
    Call me lazy.. but the HTML-TIDY function of HTML-KIT is fantastic. Especially when you're trying to track down a missing Table end tag or something

Personally I find ASCII easiest.. And this programmer uses Visual Studio 2005, Delphi 2007 and for some of our legacy dos apps (I mean we have clients who still use those?!!? ) C++

We have deadlines..

Although to program our old legacy handheld's we do have to code in Assembly and dump the code as Hex into the flash via RS232. That's "fun" I can tell you

For all out web stuff it's just plain text. Notepad would do but when you have several hundred pages of HTML, PHP , ASP, etc then a little formatting helps!
    I was most and best trained by an MSc in computing. He used to satirise low level programmers "Matchsticks. You need matchsticks. You can build anything with matchsticks."

He wa all for solving a problem with the most high level language you could use, and that often a problem could be solved with one word thingmy, where thingmy was the program that someone else already wrote to solve the problem. He was looking for his holy grail, the one program that would solve most of his problems. It would be called "PayMe".

I'm by no means a geek but if ever I do need a page built, I use nothing but notepad... Can't be arsed with all these programs like "dreamweaver" or whatever else it's called.

I use Dreamweaver to help me manage web sites – it's good for moving things around and making sure all the links still work, then sync-ing by ftp back to the host server.

Can't do that with Notepad.

For the actual HTML creation, I'll either use Dreamweaver if I have it open, or 'vi'.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Commercial Operator

Call me lazy.. but the HTML-TIDY function of HTML-KIT is fantastic. Especially when you're trying to track down a missing Table end tag or something
    Checking it out now. Any idea if there's any plugins to tie it into the MS source control API?

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Checking it out now. Any idea if there's any plugins to tie it into the MS source control API?
    Off the top of my head... (urgh dandruff!)... I don't know !!

Used to amend object programs in octal and hex. Does that mean I can become real, (maybe if I can find the Blue Fairy?)

Such as <s>THIS</s> <sup>This</sup> or <sub>This</sub> and I have been known to use tables.
    Ok so I see now we don't even have those

Thread Information