Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is and isn't allowed in Posts??

What is and isn't allowed in Posts??

I saw in a thread above that A moderator had edited a post with the comment "please don't use HTML in your posts!"

Now I didn't see the post in question but I will often use HTML in my posts..

Such as <s>THIS</s> <sup>This</sup> or <sub>This</sub> and I have been known to use tables.

However, the way the forum is set up is confusing. On some threads using Strike through or Super/Subscript is fine and on other threads it doesn't work. It would be nice to have a consistent approach forum wide so we all know what does and doesn't work on a thread. And if Sub, Sup and S HTML commands are to be used then some facility to add these into the BBCode would be appreciated (I know you can add in custom BBcode on the Forum software I've used in the past.. I would assume VBulletin isn't any different)

What's the official line on this? What is/isn't allowed? and Why does HTML work in some threads and not others?

Re: What is and isn't allowed in Posts??

I posted that edit comment because on that occasion the HTML embedded in the message broke the layout of the page. It looked like the HTML had been generated by some broken Microsoft tool.

I've seen this a number of times now, and each time have had to clean up the post in question to fix things.

If this were my forum I wouldn't allow any HTML in people's posts.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Blog Entries

i really should get my little learning book out because i have no clue what a HTML is.!

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    i really should get my little learning book out because i have no clue what a HTML is.!
    Highly Trained Moderator Legend?

....no, wait, that can't be right...

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    If this were my forum I wouldn't allow any HTML in people's posts.
    Traditionally most of the vB hacks/exploits have been HTML hacks. If you really need HTML type functionality then use bbcode.

Quote Originally Posted by Keefy View Post
    Traditionally most of the vB hacks/exploits have been HTML hacks. If you really need HTML type functionality then use bbcode.
    but AFAIK there is not Subscript, Superscript or Strikethrough BBcode as standard on this forum (or ANY forum for that matter.. it needs a simple mod/hack to install)

On my own forum (PHPBB) I do not allow any HTML BUT I have a lot more BBcode templates set up to allow more control over the editing.

Tables , when not properly formatted or unclosed can REALLY mess up the forum layout and I agree with Ducasi on this one.

Still don't understand why some forums/sub forums allow HTML and some don't.

Would be quite happy if they all disabled HTML but would request certain "additions" to the BBCode.. like the items mentioned in my original post. It's not a difficult PHP hack to add.. although I'm not familiar with vBulletin

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

HTML is the code website designers use to make the pages.. we do use it on here, things the 'b' in brackets, to make the font bold etc

If you right click the background of any webpage and select view source, you'll see a whole load of writing in code, that wont make much sense and 'that's the HTML
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    you'll see a whole load of writing in code, that wont make much sense
    Only understandable to computers... and geeks (who, to be fair, are sub human anyway and even dream in Digital! )

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    Only understandable to computers... and geeks (who, to be fair, are sub human anyway and even dream in Digital! )
    I did a evening class a few years back and got my level 2 in HTML (this is when I first started using a computer and just wanted to know the background to stuff) it wasn't until the last two lessons that they even mentioned 'Frontpage' or 'Dreamweaver', which seemed a bit back to front to me As the teacher explained that he only ever used HTML to tweak stuff!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

I use HTML Kit which is basically a glorified notepad with formatting. I design all my webpages, CSS scripts and PHP code using this in raw HTML, (or CSS , PHP obviously) and then test, tidy, and upload.

I prefer to write webpages myself from scratch rather than use these WYSIWYG editors.. which IMHO make messy code.

On my own forum (PHPBB) I do not allow any HTML BUT I have a lot more BBcode templates set up to allow more control over the editing.
    It's not a difficult PHP hack to add.. although I'm not familiar with vBulletin
    vB is basically a grown up version of PHPBB, if you saw the vB CP you would be at home

vB is basically a grown up version of PHPBB, if you saw the vB CP you would be at home
    for "grown up" I read that as "more expensive"

am currently setting up what will be my 5th.. no sorry 6th Forum using PHPBB, know my way round the inner workings of the php code now too.. which is useful for custom hacks

Smile html

I think HTML instructions are those in angle-brackets ( < and > ), as opposed to square brackets ( [ and ] ).

For example, <b> and </b> as opposed to the [b] and [/b] which this forum automatically gives you when you click the "Bold" button.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    If you right click the background of any webpage and select view source, you'll see a whole load of writing in code, that wont make much sense and 'that's the HTML
    On my computer, even if I don't select "view source", I still see a lot of writing on this forum that isn't in code and won't make much sense.

Is there something wrong with my computer?

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970
    I use HTML Kit which is basically a glorified notepad with formatting. I design all my webpages, CSS scripts and PHP code using this in raw HTML, (or CSS , PHP obviously) and then test, tidy, and upload.

Thanks for the Good Morning Vietnam flashbacks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Cronauer
    Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

I use a niftly little program called 1st page - pretty coloured code is much easier to read

I prefer to write webpages myself from scratch rather than use these WYSIWYG editors.. which IMHO make messy code.
    when I did my html course way back when we were taught use the WYSIWYG editors if want to but you will get cleaner and more stable code writing it yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    Thanks for the Good Morning Vietnam flashbacks guys!
    The really sad thing is that we understand each other. I'll ask him out on a date next

I'll ask him out on a date next
    Just make sure you use the Julian Calendar and Sidereal time then...

Question Re: What is and isn't allowed in Posts??

Anyone use "Arachnophilia"?
    Is "HTML Kit" similar?

Quote Originally Posted by JCB View Post
    Anyone use "Arachnophilia"?
    Is "HTML Kit" similar?

I used to use this and it's very similar. but I preferred HTML-Kit in the long run. Arachnophilia is a decent package to use but HTML-KIT has a few extra features I find really useful.

I'm by no means a geek but if ever I do need a page built, I use nothing but notepad... Can't be arsed with all these programs like "dreamweaver" or whatever else it's called.

Real programmers code in binary

Thread Information