Thread: Busk Promotion idea

Busk Promotion idea

One of our busks was done outside of an "Orange" phone shop, and I did wonder if some of the more casual passers by asscociated the colours and assumed it was a promo for them.

It has also occured to me that a few more clips of busks should appear on You-Tube.

I have also thought we could use busks as an opportunity to collect for charity, or at least notify charity collectors we are holding a crowd drawing (?) event.

It would be good if the dancers at busks got more rewards.

Rolling several of these ideas together it might be possible to get donations of money for charity, or of clothes at reduced prices, or even free, and wear a clothes retailers merchandise outside of their shop-front and post the results on You-tube. It would have to be sufficiently restrained to get by any commercial ban on You-tube, the odd glimpse of the shopfront, carrier bag, banner, T-shirt. It loooks like a Win-Win-Win-Win-Win opportunity to me.

Thumbs down Re: Busk Promotion idea

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    I have also thought we could use busks as an opportunity to collect for charity, …
    Don't you need a licence to collect money for charity? I can't see Councils granting licences for what is essentially a commercial promotion.

… or at least notify charity collectors we are holding a crowd drawing (?) event.
    Good question-mark! I thought busks were deliberately placed where there would be crowds anyway? Plus, wouldn't the charity collectors need a licence for the specific event?

Now, notifying local pick-pocketing gangs – that might be profitable!

I have some fishy contacts …

Re: Busk Promotion idea

Quote Originally Posted by happygoldfish View Post
    Don't you need a licence to collect money for charity? I can't see Councils granting licences for what is essentially a commercial promotion.

.... I thought busks were deliberately placed where there would be crowds anyway? Plus, wouldn't the charity collectors need a licence for the specific event?
    I am working on the assumptions that the busk will have been advertised so that anybody interested that happened to be in the vicinity will be drawn to the site. I assume that there are people who have heard of MJ that have never seen it, and would want to.
    All of the busks that I have seen rely upon happenstance, the natural passing trade. I believe that the busk and the events that they are promoting should be advertised together.

I believe that the time and effort that people invest into a busk should be respected, valued properly, and the results maximised. Crowds attract crowds. Crowds obstruct people and hinder their exit. Crowds obstruct passers by and slow them down. This gives them more time to get out of their shopping mindset and take note of what is happening. Just a few genuinely interested that can be drawn along to the start of the busk helps to build a persistent audience. I believe that any crowd gives an opportunity for authorised charity collectors. It just costs a few phone calls to try and get a charity to coordinate their collection with the event. I would hope that a side effect would be that the collectors cause even more of a slowing and holding obstruction.

Thread Information