Thread: System alert?

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

System alert?

This morning, I've been getting continuous 'System Alerts' : Malware threats.. popping up from a yellow triangle on my toolbar.
    It instructed me to click on the balloon, then an advert appeared urging me to buy spyware protection etc, listing 500+ possible threats to my computer

I've run McAfee and it says i'm up to date and 'clean'
    I've run AOL's virus detection too and one minor thing showed up but is now sorted.

But i'm still getting these pop ups from my tool bar.. the latest one (as i'm writing this) is saying - Your computer is infected with a back door Trojan that allows the remote attacker to perform various malicious actions, Click this baloon to download malware removal software..

What shall I do? Can someone Please Help!

Btw, I've now got repetative music playing, and I can't see where its coming from
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Re: System alert?

Best guess, it's the thing on the toolbar that's actually a piece of malware.

See if either of these programs will sort it:

Adaware: Ad-Aware @ Lavasoft - The Original Anti-Spyware Company - Lavasoft
    Spybot: The home of Spybot-S&D!

Also, when anything pops up, write down the exact wording of any messages etc. Then search for them in google, and you can probably find out a lot more detailed information about what has infested your machine.

Best of luck!

You have a piece of malware that nags you to buy the spyware program as well as make your PC run badly. It's a pain to get rid of but can be done. As David says make a note of the exact wording you are seeing in the popup and put it into google. That should provide details of how to get rid of it. Last time I dealt with this I went into safe mode and changed the permissions on the dodgy file it was loading, that allowed me to sort things out without it coming back whilst I was carrying out the fix.
    DON'T BUY THE PROGRAM THEY ARE PROMOTING AND IF YOU HAVE CONTACT YOUR CREDIT CARD COMPANY, not sure that they do with your credit card details but....

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    This morning, I've been getting continuous 'System Alerts' : Malware threats.. popping up from a yellow triangle on my toolbar.
    It instructed me to click on the balloon, then an advert appeared urging me to buy spyware protection etc, listing 500+ possible threats to my computer

I've run McAfee and it says i'm up to date and 'clean'
    I've run AOL's virus detection too and one minor thing showed up but is now sorted.

But i'm still getting these pop ups from my tool bar.. the latest one (as i'm writing this) is saying - Your computer is infected with a back door Trojan that allows the remote attacker to perform various malicious actions, Click this baloon to download malware removal software..

What shall I do? Can someone Please Help!

Btw, I've now got repetative music playing, and I can't see where its coming from
    Last edited by Sheppy; 17th-July-2007 at 12:25 PM. Reason: can't read...

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sheppy View Post
    You have a piece of malware that nags you to buy the spyware program as well as make your PC run badly. It's a pain to get rid of but can be done. As David says make a note of the exact wording you are seeing in the popup and put it into google. That should provide details of how to get rid of it. Last time I dealt with this I went into safe mode and changed the permissions on the dodgy file it was loading, that allowed me to sort things out without it coming back whilst I was carrying out the fix.
    DON'T BUY THE PROGRAM THEY ARE PROMOTING AND IF YOU HAVE CONTACT YOUR CREDIT CARD COMPANY, not sure that they do with your credit card details but....
    Yes your right, thats exactly whats happening, it keeps promting me to by the spyware programme... it doesn't matter what button I click to get rid of it, it just opens another window!

I've got two icons on my toolbar.. one (the yellow triangle) is continually flashing and sending the message I wrote earlier

The other one looks like a shield and changes from red, with a white X, to blue with a ? on it..
    I can't recall if i've seen them before ..Are they part of it and can I safely remove them? or are they an integral part of my machine and the malware is just using them?

I've run the FREE download of Lavasoft, as DavidF suggested and it detected a few things.. which i've now blocked but I have to reboot now..

Wish me luck, please please let it work
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Wish me luck, please please let it work
    The last one I fixed one I used this file http://www.croslandmedia.com/content...itfraudFix.zip (I've just scanned it for virus)
    Download it, extract the file to a folder, reboot into safe mode and run smitfraudfix.cmd from the folder

Thread Information