Thread: Painful knee

Painful knee

I did have a look for a thread about this, I'm sure its been discussed before - if anyone else finds one, feel free to Harperlink/Moderator merge with this one.

I'm also sure other dancers have had painful knees. I used to get sore knees, specifically the right one, for the short time that I attempted to learn lindy. Or maybe after a lot of spinning on an unsuitable floor/in unsuitable shoes (when I haven't been able to wear dance shoes due to state of the floor.)

My right knee started to get sore last week, not after any dancing. A walk on Thurs managed to extend the pain up my right thigh. I'm taking painkillers, resting as much as I can and wearing a support bandage if out anywhere, driving, walking etc.

Its an ache, rather than a sharp pain, and it seems to be from the muscles on either side above the knee, rather than the knee itself. Any exercise seems to extend the pain up my leg. I haven't tried any dancing at all.

Any advice or suggestions? I know I should probably go to the doctor, not sure what he can recommend other than painkillers and rest though.

Re: Painful knee

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I did have a look for a thread about this, I'm sure its been discussed before - if anyone else finds one, feel free to Harperlink/Moderator merge with this one.

I'm also sure other dancers have had painful knees. I used to get sore knees, specifically the right one, for the short time that I attempted to learn lindy. Or maybe after a lot of spinning on an unsuitable floor/in unsuitable shoes (when I haven't been able to wear dance shoes due to state of the floor.)

My right knee started to get sore last week, not after any dancing. A walk on Thurs managed to extend the pain up my right thigh. I'm taking painkillers, resting as much as I can and wearing a support bandage if out anywhere, driving, walking etc.

Its an ache, rather than a sharp pain, and it seems to be from the muscles on either side above the knee, rather than the knee itself. Any exercise seems to extend the pain up my leg. I haven't tried any dancing at all.

Any advice or suggestions? I know I should probably go to the doctor, not sure what he can recommend other than painkillers and rest though.
    Get the doctor to refer you to a physio or just go see a physio direct

Quote Originally Posted by Yliander View Post
    Get the doctor to refer you to a physio or just go see a physio direct
    Thanks, will try that.

Meantime, can anyone recommend good painkillers?

A controversial reply here....Meadowsweet tincture.

Hard to beat ice, IMHO...

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    Hard to beat ice, IMHO...
    Back to the cold vs hot thing. I can't think of anything I did that injured it, so I was thinking heat would help as it was an ache. Haven't tried cold.

But should I be using cold instead? (Though not much chance of using either at work!).

I was going to try dancing a little tomorrow night, to see how it is. Is this wise or should I rest it completely? I have found that walking and steps/stairs seem to be causing the most problems so far and am trying to minimise those activities. I was thinking I could try a few dances, if its causing a problem then stop. (Bit hard to do that when you are out for a walk with friends so I've given apologies for a planned walk tomorrow night.)

Also is the support bandage a good idea, as giving support to the sore muscles, or bad, as it might make me think I can do more than I should?

Thanks, will try that.

I would use Ibuprofen - as it sounds like it is mostly likely a muscle issue

Back to the cold vs hot thing. I can't think of anything I did that injured it, so I was thinking heat would help as it was an ache. Haven't tried cold.
    Heat "feels" comforting, and if the problem is that the muscles are tight, then it may help relax them. But if you have real actual damage then (going from physio advice in the past that may be outdated) cold treatment is better at actually getting the thing to heal.

In general, physios seem to advice alternating hot and cold, always finishing with cold, as once you've stopped the body will try to warm up the cold area by sending it lots of blood, which aids recovery.

In terms of pain relief: for an mild 'ache', hot may well be the best - as I say, it's soothing. If it's really bad (e.g. back in spasm, dislocated joint, etc.), then ice works a lot better in my experience. I always say you know it's a bad injury when the idea of putting a bag of ice on it seems like a good idea as opposed to just cold and unpleasant.

<std::disclaimer>I am not a doctor. But I've had one or two injuries over the years...</disclaimer>

I was going to try dancing a little tomorrow night, to see how it is. Is this wise or should I rest it completely? I have found that walking and steps/stairs seem to be causing the most problems so far and am trying to minimise those activities. I was thinking I could try a few dances, if its causing a problem then stop. (Bit hard to do that when you are out for a walk with friends so I've given apologies for a planned walk tomorrow night.)
    Safest is going to be not to dance until you see a physio/osteopath. But I'd be surprised if dancing carefully will make things significantly worse (although it might set you back a bit).

Also is the support bandage a good idea, as giving support to the sore muscles, or bad, as it might make me think I can do more than I should?
    Again, opinions vary. I always felt it helped with my bad knee - as much as anything because the bandage just made me more "aware" of the knee and what it was doing. But I think it depends on what the problem actually is, so you really need to get proper advice from someone who's actually examined you.

Hey Lynn,

If the tissues around the knee are inflamed then heat will potentially make them worse as it will increase circulation to that area...this will increase the tissue pressure and possibly cause more pain. That is when ice would be more appropriate. If there is little sign of swelling then heat will be ok.

Sometimes with an aching throb in a joint it can indicate problems elsewhere, in as much as the body needing to over compensate for another joint or muscular failure. So hopefully your physio or even a sports massage therapist, will be able to locate the problem and also give some corrective exercises.

JB

Thanks DF and JB, I'll look into going to a physio, a colleague can give me the name of one.

The pain isn't in the joint, it seems to be just above it. I've had a sore knee before due to twisting (almost always when carrying suitcases up/down stairs so I try to be really careful when doing that now) - perhaps there is a bit of weakness now?

I've had the support on all day and its really helped. Will try some gentle dancing later in the week and try to spin on my left foot!

Thread Information