Thread: Passport renewal

Passport renewal

I really need a holiday soon and am hoping to go away in August but, my passport runs out tomorrow

I have spent half an hour on google today finding out the easiest way to renew my British Passport but without calling and £1.50 a minute line all has been very unhelpful. I need to now how long it takes, costs etc.

Can anyone find a link for me

The Dashing Moderator

Re: Passport renewal

Missy D,

Have you tried this link to DirectGov.uk?

It seems to include a link to apply online.

Edit: or this one: IPS

David
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by Missy D View Post
    I really need a holiday soon and am hoping to go away in August but, my passport runs out tomorrow
    Check out the post office: certain branches do a "Check & Send" service: £66 (don't know if the strikes might affect that). Or you can make an appointment , to get it renewed at a passport office counter - guaranteed one-week Fast Track service (that last was quoted from the government site) £91.
    Good luck -

Blog Entries

I'm very cross with the Home Office. I renewed my passport last year, but now I want to change my name to my new married one, I can't simply change my name on my passport - I have to take out a whole new one. This means that 9 years are wasted on the old one & there's no bloomin' refund. And they cost a fortune these days.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

use the old one - its only to get across borders after all - get some perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    use the old one - its only to get across borders after all - get some perspective
    A dash of common sense goes a long way!

Quote Originally Posted by JCB View Post
    Check out the post office: certain branches do a "Check & Send" service: £66 (don't know if the strikes might affect that). Or you can make an appointment , to get it renewed at a passport office counter - guaranteed one-week Fast Track service (that last was quoted from the government site) £91.
    Good luck -
    The Fast Track service does work ok - I used the 1 week service and the passport was delivered by courier about 5 days after the appointment. The site I'd recommend is The Identity and Passport Service - Identity and Passport Service which contains all the information you could possibly need, without recourse to a premium rate telephone line.

You do have to phone for an appointment and visit a passport office if want your passport urgently on the one week/overnight service - but this phone line only costs 8p/minute. My sister did once use the 24 hour service I recall - with this service you have to go back to the passport office to pick your passport up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I'm very cross with the Home Office. I renewed my passport last year, but now I want to change my name to my new married one, I can't simply change my name on my passport - I have to take out a whole new one. This means that 9 years are wasted on the old one & there's no bloomin' refund. And they cost a fortune these days.
    Just make sure that the name on the ticket is the same as the name on the passport otherwise they won't let you cross - it does mean that you have the hassle of having to book your tickets under your old names for the next 8 years (they'll credit you 9 months worth if your old passport hasn't expired but that's it - s ucks I know!)

Right. And don't forget, it's now obligatory to turn up at airports carrying a) metal cutlery, b) medium sized containers of pale fluid that you will put in your carry on luggage, c) matches, lighter and lighter fuel. If you can manage to look swarthy as well, so much the better.

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Right. And don't forget, it's now obligatory to turn up at airports carrying a) metal cutlery, b) medium sized containers of pale fluid that you will put in your carry on luggage, c) matches, lighter and lighter fuel. If you can manage to look swarthy as well, so much the better.
    At least that way you'll get your money's worth out of that chunk of cash soon being added to your air fare - to pay for all the scanners, queues, body searches, delays, and five-mile exclusion zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Fi View Post
    Just make sure that the name on the ticket is the same as the name on the passport
    This is a very valid point for married ladies and for those who may feel tempted to travel under their forum names!

I would have thought that living in the House of Commons would give Miss D some priviledges!

Does the Queen have a passport? If so it would read
    "# government minions # in the name of Her Majesty request to whom it may concern # good stuff for# HRH Lizzie"

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    The Fast Track service does work ok - I used the 1 week service and the passport was delivered by courier about 5 days after the appointment. The site I'd recommend is The Identity and Passport Service - Identity and Passport Service which contains all the information you could possibly need, without recourse to a premium rate telephone line.

You do have to phone for an appointment and visit a passport office if want your passport urgently on the one week/overnight service - but this phone line only costs 8p/minute. My sister did once use the 24 hour service I recall - with this service you have to go back to the passport office to pick your passport up.

Agreed.. i found the IPs phone line very helpful... we have just renewed my wifes, got my baby girls first one and had to replace my lost one...was only on the phone for 5 mins and they answered all my questions...

passports cost me £198 tho inclusive of the check and send

Thread Information