Thread: The price war

The price war

weekenders have varying prices, over in Aussie, the same venue, the same weekender but on different dates.... has 2 prices.... $220 or $297 dependant on dance company...

Is price not an issue, or would you change and go to "the other side" on price?

There is clearly a $77 per person profit margin going to someone.

What would you do?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Re: The price war

Depends the more pricy weekender might be providing better teachers, better experiances and at a time of year more expensive to hire the venue.

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    Depends the more pricy weekender might be providing better teachers, better experiances and at a time of year more expensive to hire the venue.

Good try... same price to hire venue, one or two weeks apart. Quality of teachers I would say comparable. Same same.

All bar one of the Ceroc weekenders I've been on (the exception being Blaze), I've gone because I've got £29 tickets. So yes, price makes a difference. Worth trying something if its that good value.

However time and other constraints means I'll be doing less weekenders next year, so I'll be deciding what to go on based on what I want from a weekender, not the price its selling at.

The only directly comparable one for me would have been Storm and Jivetime Camber weekenders, as at the same venue. And there price wouldn't be the deciding difference for me, the gender balance issue would.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Say therorecticaly was week apart, same teachers same quality etc etc,

I would say first thing I would think about is the price. About £25 with current $ to £ rate?

Only other things that might sway it is who is going when and time off work etc.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by martin
    Good try... same price to hire venue, one or two weeks apart. Quality of teachers I would say comparable. Same same.

then its down to location and "extras" such as good food and possibility of neighbours who make waffles and the like

its worth remembering of course that teacher quality is extremely subjective

nothing is ever truly "equal" ........apart from two things that are the same

Is it the price, or the fact that you want to support your dance company, even if they want to charge you $77 more?

Is support for your own dance co. worth the extra?

So many factors, like Woodface says* when suits to get off work, who else is going etc, others such as travel cost are a variable for me personally, that could balance out the difference in overall cost.

Other things - who the teachers are, who the DJs are. Different weekenders can have a different 'feel' based on the range of music played. Eg I prefer the Ceroc Camber COZ to the Jivetime Camber Swing and blues room as the latter plays a lot of fast swing very late at night. Even though they are in the same room, with a lot of the same people and a lot of the same tracks, there is a different vibe.

*I'm agreeing with Woodface!

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wonder if one of the weekenders is piling the punters in, at cheap prices and the other has opted for less punters but at higher price?

An explaination of the target objectives would probably sway me one way or another i.e. would you 'in real terms' be getting more for your money.. eg. better teachers, better air-con - faster check-in, a dance floor thats not too crowded and gender balancing to name but a few?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I wouldn't think in those terms. Ceroc is a business like any other - they only get my loyalty if they're giving me what I want. I might feel differently if I'd been with a small independent for years, but I haven't been.

Why don't you ask the more expensive company why they are charging more for what appears to be a very similar product? It'd be interesting to know why.

At the more expensive venue you could meet richer and stupider partners, both desirable qualities for some.

About £80 and and £100. I'd go on both. I love weekenders.

weekenders have varying prices, over in Aussie, the same venue, the same weekender but on different dates.... has 2 prices.... $220 or $297 dependant on dance company...

Is price not an issue, or would you change and go to "the other side" on price?

There is clearly a $77 per person profit margin going to someone.

What would you do?
    It would really depend on the teachers for me. Considering the Jordan and Tatiana workshops in Melbourne were only $150 (not including accommodation, meals etc)... but in my opinion, I would pay double that to see them and learn from them, personally I think we got the biggest bargain ever.
    Now when I'm planning workshops I think, I tend to measure how much we charge by what other schools charge and the teachers they offer.

Is it the price, or the fact that you want to support your dance company, even if they want to charge you $77 more?

Hi Martin, to further add fuel, you quoted an early bird rate of $297 for CMJ dance camp. CA's dance camp is so much cheaper, and actually has some extra quality teachers doing workshops. I think one dance company is more hungry for the profits than the other and it is evident in other areas as well. Such as class passes costing more than CA's. So I would on principle go to the CA dance camp before CMJ's and also because CA's dance camp seems to have better teachers doing workshops.

Thread Information