• Leroc / Independant / Other

32 39.02%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where did you start?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Where did you start?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Technicaly Blitz IS Ceroc. Blitz was Ceroc North until 98-ish ... in the same way MoJive was Ceroc South.
    hmm if a LeRoc class turned into Ceroc would you say "technically Ceroc IS LeRoc" ? as bigdjiver says - there was modern jive before there was Ceroc

i suppose thats like saying - technically Burger King IS Wimpy (if anyone even remembers them )

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Theres not much in it poll wise.

Anyone got any stats as to how many Ceroc and how many 'other' classes are going?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    hmm if a LeRoc class turned into Ceroc would you say "technically Ceroc IS LeRoc" ? as bigdjiver says - there was modern jive before there was Ceroc
    Hmmmmm ... but even the founder of LeRoc stated in his book that James C independently founded Ceroc ... so no lineage?

Blitz is the best example of a straight Ceroc conversion to the darkside (or is that the light-side). All training materials, formats and methods were carried over. Mo'Jive is another matter entirly. They have gone to great lengths to reinvent themsleves .... (must start another thread .... "Ceroc HAS evolved ... its now callled MO'JIVE!!!"

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Hmmmmm ... but even the founder of LeRoc stated in his book that James C independently founded Ceroc ... so no lineage?
    independently ? so he never went to any classes prior to starting Ceroc ?

independently ? so he never went to any classes prior to starting Ceroc ?
    Ahhhh ... but did he not just incoporate it into his existing style brought over from la France? You are surely not trying to carry out a 'Da Vinci Code' attempt on the Word according to Ceroc are you?

....... anyway ... geting well off thread now ....

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Ahhhh ... but did he not just incoporate it into his existing style brought over from la France?

but to accept the fact that someone was doing similar here already it follows that THEY were the people who created MJ in this country - unless you are claiming NONE of what they did was incorporated by James Cronin into what became Ceroc

i suppose thats like saying - technically Burger King IS Wimpy (if anyone even remembers them )
    Hey - there is a wimpy sill in Peterhead...and one in Glasgow last time I was down... still prefer their burgers to McD or BK (although nothing can beat a Sizzlers )

but to accept the fact that someone was doing similar here already it follows that THEY were the people who created MJ in this country - unless you are claiming NONE of what they did was incorporated by James Cronin into what became Ceroc
    I'm sure Rocky will tell you waht actualy happened.

I'm sure Rocky will tell you waht actualy happened.
    Can the mods please split this off into a 'Ceroc Origins' thread, this one is about where people started dancing. This "you owe everything to Ceroc" mantra is getting very tiring.

Technicaly Blitz IS Ceroc. Blitz was Ceroc North until 98-ish ... in the same way MoJive was Ceroc South.
    Didn't know that... never mind Chill people....

Quote Originally Posted by Keefy View Post
    Can the mods please split this off into a 'Ceroc Origins' thread, this one is about where people started dancing. This "you owe everything to Ceroc" mantra is getting very tiring.

I found this a very interesting article on the history of modern jive.
    Modern Jive - Ceroc, Le Roc, etc. - Videos, DVDs, Classes, Events, Workshops, Holidays, Weekends

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    My own 'umble beginnings into MJ were with a franchisee of Graham LeClerks (Le Roc) right here in Nottingham in April 1997, at a venue where Chris and I were already regularly dancing (all-styles) on a weekly basis. It was Debz and Neil Molwuka who were the franchisee's and teachers, (and who were absolutely brilliant teachers) After some months there, they then moved to a different venue, and then eventally to the now famous 'Ballroom' at the Marcus Garvey centre under the banner of 'Swing Jive'. Unfortunately for us, Debz and Neil decided they no longer wished to carry on in Nottingham but rather to stay in their hometown area (Sheffield) and to concentrate on their growing passion for Lindy/swing. However, as Ceroc were already operating in the Nottingham area in West Bridgford, they offered to 'take over' the Marcus Garvey venue and are still there to this day.
    well blow me down with a feather I remember when Graham started in Nottingham, a big crowd going up there to busk etc and help with the new class (I couldn't make it unfortunately) - not sure if Martin was there at the time

and Debz & Neil, remember them too, she had bright red hair at the time. I also remember them doing an aerial (helicopter) at Hove Town Hall, and hit one of my friends (knocked her out actually)

AND ............ did D & N doing a House Swap on TV ????

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spiky Steve View Post
    I found this a very interesting article on the history of modern jive.
    Modern Jive - Ceroc, Le Roc, etc. - Videos, DVDs, Classes, Events, Workshops, Holidays, Weekends
    I enjoyed reading that
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator

well blow me down with a feather I remember when Graham started in Nottingham, a big crowd going up there to busk etc and help with the new class (I couldn't make it unfortunately) - not sure if Martin was there at the time

and Debz & Neil, remember them too, she had bright red hair at the time. I also remember them doing an aerial (helicopter) at Hove Town Hall, and hit one of my friends (knocked her out actually)

AND ............ did D & N doing a House Swap on TV ????
    Would that be Martin Elliot? (who also had a brother, John, who danced in this area at that time and pipped me to first place in the first ever local (Ceroc) dancing competition here in Nottingham, I still have to take tablets to sleep
    But yes Debz did have a 'SHOCK' of orange/red hair, and the most colourful of all outfits I had ever seen, Debz and Neil were absolutely fabulous and the best teachers that Nottingham has ever had, shame (for me and Nottingham Crew) that she went over to Lindy, but at that time it was where the more experienced MJ'ers would progress to, these days other options seem to be more popular i.e. AT, WCS, Salsa.
    Yes, some years after they left us, they did do House swap, I never saw it and have forgotten all about it since, anyone have a copy of that?
    Also Debz and Neil taught for us 'Lindy for Jivers' at our first ever Southport Weekender, Really nice people and a real coooool couple.

Would that be Martin Elliot? ...........

This Martin

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post

This Martin
    Yep, thats the one!

My own 'umble beginnings into MJ were with a franchisee of Graham LeClerks (Le Roc) right here in Nottingham in April 1997, at a venue where Chris and I were already regularly dancing (all-styles) on a weekly basis. It was Debz and Neil Molwuka who were the franchisee's and teachers, (and who were absolutely brilliant teachers) After some months there, they then moved to a different venue, and then eventally to the now famous 'Ballroom' at the Marcus Garvey centre under the banner of 'Swing Jive'. Unfortunately for us, Debz and Neil decided they no longer wished to carry on in Nottingham but rather to stay in their hometown area (Sheffield) and to concentrate on their growing passion for Lindy/swing. However, as Ceroc were already operating in the Nottingham area in West Bridgford, they offered to 'take over' the Marcus Garvey venue and are still there to this day.
    Hey mate... I remember that.... I must have met you all those years ago....

Quote from Minnie M " well blow me down with a feather I remember when Graham started in Nottingham, a big crowd going up there to busk etc and help with the new class (I couldn't make it unfortunately) - not sure if Martin was there at the time "

Yes I went up for the demo/busk with Kylie...(in the square) we also did a showcase in a nightclub up there and later a demo at one of thier Sat dances and a workshop for them.

The nightclub demo was memorable as we did it on an elevated stage to a packed audience - the memorable bit was the fact that the stage had a glass backdrop with a few people the other side of the glass - kylie had a small "Morgan" black dress on, we did a back bend over the thigh, trouble was the dress got caught, and the tits poped out, so I had to do a quick flick up and over cover them up move.. We did get a round of applause from the guys behind the glass though...

Would that be Martin Elliott? (who also had a brother, John, who danced in this area at that time and pipped me to first place in the first ever local (Ceroc) dancing competition here in Nottingham, I still have to take tablets to sleep
    Sorry Wes, yeah John was always a troublesome brother...
    Now please tell your lovely wife to stop telling me..."you dance like your brother, you are just as cheeky"

Commercial Operator

[QUOTE][Yes I went up for the demo/busk with Kylie...(in the square) we also did a showcase in a nightclub up there and later a demo at one of thier Sat dances and a workshop for them.

The nightclub demo was memorable as we did it on an elevated stage to a packed audience - the memorable bit was the fact that the stage had a glass backdrop with a few people the other side of the glass - kylie had a small "Morgan" black dress on, we did a back bend over the thigh, trouble was the dress got caught, and the tits poped out, so I had to do a quick flick up and over cover them up move.. We did get a round of applause from the guys behind the glass though.../QUOTE]

Yes, I remember a Demo that you and Kylie did, not at the night club but at at The Marcus Garvey Centre, now known as 'The Ballroom'.

I've found that If you keep your shirt buttoned up, the tits will generally not pop out However I'm sure the event was memorable!

My first encounter with MJ was Ceroc in Dundee back in 2000. Was hooked form day one! I've had a few breaks from it since then, and now hardly go to any classes any more, just to freestyles.

Before that I did do some swing dancing in Norway for about 3 years before I moved to Dundee in 1996. Oh, and did a few ballroom classes when I was 10-12 years old (and also when I was about 6 or 7 I think), and a few months of ballet when I was even ickler....

Thread Information