50 60.98%
  • Leroc / Independant / Other

32 39.02%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where did you start?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Where did you start?

With all the talk of Ceroc Vs Leroc / Andy McG / Indy's, I was wondering where people first started to dance.

Ceroc might have the highest amount of new people throught it's doors, but is it more than the indy's put together?

Only 2 options as a third is pointless. Please don't add anything stupid mod's like "i like to click" as it throws out the percentages.

Re: Where did you start?

Pedant that I am....my first of many many years of dance lessons was at the age of 2 in a small ballet school in Nottinghamshire...where's the option for that?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    Pedant that I am....my first of many many years of dance lessons was at the age of 2 in a small ballet school in Nottinghamshire...where's the option for that?
    Were talking about Modern Jive lessons.

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

where's the option for that?
    It's there, nestled alongside Esther Clarks school of Tap and Highland Dancing, somewhere in Dundee

However, re what I think he really meant - Ceroc for me
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

I started Modern Jive at Blitz - I didn't even know Ceroc existed until I started to leave my safe boundaries of Doncaster So glad I did tho

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    I was wondering where people first started to dance.
    you weren't very specific with your question....

I've put "Independent" because they are the people who got me into MJ (i.e. blame them ), but the real answer probably goes a bit deeper than that...

The first ever MJ class I went to was a Ceroc class - I hated it, I didn't even make it through the beginners class. I found it big and impersonal and felt I was just another mug/number through the door. I still wanted to learn so I tried an independent, I still struggled but the people were much more friendly, the teacher came and talked to me etc. etc. There were also some discount vouchers for a substantial saving off of the first four or so lessons, I decided to try it until they ran out, they ran out back in January

I've now switched back to Ceroc, I've found a local(ish) franchise with a teacher I like and a venue that suits. I still go to the independents occasionally. So who is going to claim that they are responsible for bringing me as a newcomer into MJ? As a raw beginner I found the Ceroc experience appalling, if it wasn't for the independents I would have given up. But six months down the line I'm back in the Ceroc fold again, I'm finding that Ceroc are better (for me) at that beginner/intermediate level.

So for me there is no "best", different things are better (for me) at different times. What we actually have here is a joint effort, which works very well indeed when the parties concerned take time out from throwing insults at each other and actually getting on with their respective businesses

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Keefy View Post
    So for me there is no "best", different things are better (for me) at different times. What we actually have here is a joint effort, which works very well indeed when the parties concerned take time out from throwing insults at each other and actually getting on with their respective businesses
    Well said that man! I actually started off at LeJive, when Adam Nathanson was teaching for them. I remember a lot of Bolitics happening around that time with his transfer to teach for Ceroc. So nothing's changed in those 10 years. I started going to his Ceroc venue and carried on at LeJive. Then I moved up north and did Ceroc, til Blitz opened their doors and I used to do both there too. Now I go where ever the 'atmosphere' is right for me. I'm afraid as a dancer I have no loyalty, I will go wherever the product suits my needs at the time.

MJ independant teacher for about 6 months, but classes stopped and there were no other venues in NI. Then it was the first and subsequent Southport weekenders that really kept me with MJ - the same goes for a few of the regulars at Ceroc in NI now...

Great to see a growing MJ scene in NI with Ceroc - its fabulous to have a regular venue to go to.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    Now I go where ever the 'atmosphere' is right for me. I'm afraid as a dancer I have no loyalty, I will go wherever the product suits my needs at the time.
    I started MJ at a class at Surrey uni, then went to Mo-jive in Southampton before the venue I went to (Pirelli's) closed. When I moved oop north I went to the classes round here (which are mainly ceroc central) - it was a location thing but luckily that includes MK and the lovely Marc/Rachel

Ceroc for me, before it became Mo'Jive.
    In fact, my very first teacher at Ceroc/Mo'jive was a new friend of yours, Kerrin Osmond

A true pedant would get really annoyed with the spelling of independent in the poll title "Leroc / Independant / Other"

I'll get my coat.....

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Great to see a growing MJ scene in NI with Ceroc - its fabulous to have a regular venue to go to.
    Of course, you realise that Ceroc NI are just a "parasitic business", grabbing customers from a market which was originally created by, ummm, someone or other?

I think you should say that to the Ceroc NI-ers next time you see them...

Measuring up patio to see if neighbour will fit under it

I started modern jive at Chesham, my sister dragged me along to a class and i was amazed at how great people were at dancing and never thought i would be able to do it. After about two years i then went onto ashtons in Cricklewood on a wednesday, i never missed a class and was totally hooked and still am

For newcomers to the MJ and the forum it should be pointed out that many of the independents mentioned on this thread started out as Ceroc Franchisees, split away, and pretty much continued to teach "Ceroc", without the branding. Leroc is the exception, being there from the start. There is a strong claim that Ceroc split from Leroc, a discussion that has been held on other threads. Ceroc added the vital commercial franchise model that has driven the success of MJ.

I started with Blitz in Doncaster. They split from Ceroc and taught and still teach the old moves from about 10 years ago!

Commercial Operator

My own 'umble beginnings into MJ were with a franchisee of Graham LeClerks (Le Roc) right here in Nottingham in April 1997, at a venue where Chris and I were already regularly dancing (all-styles) on a weekly basis. It was Debz and Neil Molwuka who were the franchisee's and teachers, (and who were absolutely brilliant teachers) After some months there, they then moved to a different venue, and then eventally to the now famous 'Ballroom' at the Marcus Garvey centre under the banner of 'Swing Jive'. Unfortunately for us, Debz and Neil decided they no longer wished to carry on in Nottingham but rather to stay in their hometown area (Sheffield) and to concentrate on their growing passion for Lindy/swing. However, as Ceroc were already operating in the Nottingham area in West Bridgford, they offered to 'take over' the Marcus Garvey venue and are still there to this day.

Michael Franklin's class at the Electricity club in Cardiff ... if anyone knows how to contact Michael please pm me!!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Of course, you realise that Ceroc NI are just a "parasitic business", grabbing customers from a market which was originally created by, ummm, someone or other?
    Yeah, they're 'my' dancers. I should claim them back!

Quote Originally Posted by Caz View Post
    I started Modern Jive at Blitz
    Technicaly Blitz IS Ceroc. Blitz was Ceroc North until 98-ish ... in the same way MoJive was Ceroc South.

Thread Information