Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ipod or MP3?

Re: Ipod or MP3?

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
    Yes, loss of data isn't included in most insurance policies. Of course I think the iTunes system is pants in that regard anyway (I wittered about this on my not even slightly entertaining blog). Basically if you could just re-download your content then you could save all that money in insurance since there would be nothing to insure in the first place.
    I am under the impression that you can back up your iTunes purchased tunes onto a CD or DVD using the iTunes software. It is still in protected format and can be reloaded to a new computer (or your old computer in the event of hard disk failure) provided your have your iTunes account open on the target computer.

see

How to use your iPod to move your music to a new computer

and/or

Use a Smart Playlist to make regular backups of your music in iTunes

I'm a bit confused about all the iTunes comments. I have only bought a couple of tracks in iTunes but being more used to Media Player, I use it to make playlists and my own compilation CDs. And the tracks I bought in iTunes are in My Music so I can do what I want with them. Should I not be able to?

Btw, the tracks I bought from iTunes downloaded as wma files (I think). Is that why?

Ive got a sony mp3 player and i love it its the oldish 20gb version so ive not managed to fill it yet the battery lasts a good week or more with me using it for a couple of hours a day and even with all the battering its taken it still works fine. I also love the sony headphones that came with it they have a good length me cable fit my ears really well and the sound quality is good enough for my listening pleasure. The only thing i can pick fault with is the sonicstage software while i find it nice and easy to use and pretty straight forward it does occasionally throw a paddy and cease to work at all!!

M :-)
    Last edited by jiveaddicted; 11th-July-2007 at 09:04 AM. Reason: my terrible spelling

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Personally I have a simple 256mb mp3 player that just plugs into a usb slot, takes one aaa battery that lasts about 10 hours, records with its own mic or line in - i can transfer to/from it with any operating system and play tracks on the computer itself with my own choice of software. Why do people want to use proprietry software in the first place ? it only limits what you can do with your own music (fine if those limits suit you perfectly of course )

I have a great 30GB Video iPod. I have set it to import to mp3 so that I am not tied to the iPod. I don't download from iTunes again so that I am not tied to the iPod.

I would watch out for the Xume to be released by Microsoft. Another company that some people hate but the Xume will allow transfer from player to player using bluetooth technology or the like. You will also have the opportunity to preview tracks for a few days when downloading before committing to purchase them. This is all only as I understand it but it sounds great.

Spiky

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Why do people want to use proprietry software in the first place ? it only limits what you can do with your own music (fine if those limits suit you perfectly of course )
    Because with iTunes and other proprietary software, I can transfer all the music I want and playlists in one click of a mouse. In fact, make that no clicks of a mouse – I just plug it in, and it syncs up the music and playlists.

I don't have to corral the new files I want to put on my iPod together to copy them, I don't have to figure out what music is in what file and what files I want to add or remove.

Basically, managing my music player has become a no-brainer. Plug it in, it syncs and charges. Remove it and I'm ready to go.

Now, where are the limits???
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

cant see the wood for the trees ? Plug it into a linux machine that doesnt have itunes installed and copy an mp3 to your ipod. Does it work right away ?

cant see the wood for the trees ? Plug it into a linux machine that doesnt have itunes installed and copy an mp3 to your ipod. Does it work right away ?
    Bet it doesn't work on your Amiga either.

Sure you need a program to build the right file-structures and index files (though you could probably do it by hand, being a linux-using geek ).

There is a difference in mind-set here. I, and countless other, iPod owners don't want to concern ourselves with managing and copying files, we just want the thing to play our music. iTunes makes this happen.

With your digital camera do you copy files manually from it, or do you use a program to manage it for you?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Bet it doesn't work on your Amiga either.
    got rid of both my old amigas as i wasnt using them (its sad that the Amiga OS of 15 years ago is better than XP but you just cant get much modern software). May get this though and if I do - yes it will work

With your digital camera do you copy files manually from it, or do you use a program to manage it for you?
    you say that as if you expect a "program" response manual all the way for me

you say that as if you expect a "program" response manual all the way for me
    So, I think we have an answer here. MP3 players that don't have programs to help organise them are best for masochistic hackers who like to use Linux, and dream of the glory days of Commodore Amigas.

The rest of the world will be very comfortable with their iPods.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

So, I think we have an answer here. MP3 players that don't have programs to help organise them are best for masochistic hackers who like to use Linux, and dream of the glory days of Commodore Amigas.

not quite the same thing - there are hundreds of programs to help you organise your music - its just that some of us would rather choose which one we use

glory days? the Amiga is yet to be beaten as a desktop machine. New MACs are close but still nowhere near. For the perfect desktop computer i would rate an amiga as a 9 a new MAC with OSX a 7 and a PC running windows a 2.

Does that mean you have to use iTunes if you have an Ipod?

I had iTunes on my desktop PC (which I rarely turn on) - I downloaded it, but currently still on dial up so didn't buy much music.

However I found it extremely slow even when not going online compared to MP and so went back to using MP. It might run differently on my laptop I guess but I've just stuck to MP.

Interesting debate.

Despite being an iPod user (old 4th gen 40mb) and confirmed iTunes user, I passed by the Nano and now possess a beautiful Sandisk Sansa 6gb. The reason is that although I love iTunes ... I can't DJ (on a PC) from its protected files. So ... got a choice. Either I burn all my 400+ iTunes tracks to CD then rip back to MP3 and store under Media Player .... or someone tells me of some software that will allow me to convert directly .... please.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Does that mean you have to use iTunes if you have an Ipod?
    iTunes is needed to manage an iPod, yes.

Gus are all your 400+ tunes bought from the itunes music store? If so then you are stuck as they are protected and can only be played on five other computers, in itunes only. If they are from EMI then you can play another 20 or 40p to unlock them and get them upgraded to a higher quality.

If they weren't bought from ITMS then you should be able to convert them all from whatever format, probably ".m4a" into mp3, from itunes itself. Haven't got itunes infront of me (on work computer) but will look when I get home, or Ducasi will get there before me anyway As long as they weren't bought from itunes then it shouldn't be a problem.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

iTunes is needed to manage an iPod, yes.
    so you'll admit it is UTTERLY USELESS WITHOUT PROPRIETRY SOFTWARE then

so you'll admit it is UTTERLY USELESS WITHOUT PROPRIETRY SOFTWARE then
    No, you don't need to use proprietary software, it's just that the non-proprietary software which can also manage an iPod doesn't (AFAIK) run on Windows or Mac OS X.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Interesting debate.

Despite being an iPod user (old 4th gen 40mb) and confirmed iTunes user, I passed by the Nano and now possess a beautiful Sandisk Sansa 6gb. The reason is that although I love iTunes ... I can't DJ (on a PC) from its protected files. So ... got a choice. Either I burn all my 400+ iTunes tracks to CD then rip back to MP3 and store under Media Player .... or someone tells me of some software that will allow me to convert directly .... please.
    A friend of mine claims to be able to do this. I'll ask him and get back to you (I've been meaning to find out from how how it's done for a while now)

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

No, you don't need to use proprietary software, it's just that the non-proprietary software which can also manage an iPod doesn't (AFAIK) run on Windows or Mac OS X.
    but thats just nonsense , you just said :

no you don't need to use it as there is other software, but it doesnt work.

Yes, very convincing indeed ducasi

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    A friend of mine claims to be able to do this. I'll ask him and get back to you (I've been meaning to find out from how how it's done for a while now)
    IIRC it's a bit of a con.. it doesn't rip directly per se but can be done with a "virtual CD" in memory. I had a friend who discussed the techniques with me but it seemed pretty (ie overly) complicated. IIRC it used Alcohol 120% (a cd image sort of program.. which I don't have) and some other applications had had to run to trick the system into thinking it was writing an Audio Cd to physical media and not to a location in memory.. then you ran the ripper program which ripped this to MP3.

He did tell me that it was no faster than doing it the real way.. just that you didn't waste CD's

worth the bother? I didn't think so !

Thread Information