Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ipod or MP3?

Re: Ipod or MP3?

Quote Originally Posted by pmjd View Post
    the .ru extention suggests that it's a russian based music site. At the moment these are of dubious legality as to actually being able to sell copyrighted music. Not that I'm saying that the itunes music store is any better but I would suggest a slightly more legit site like emusic. Or ideally just buy the CDs in the first place and you can put them in what ever format you like and always have a backup
    Yes it is Russian and apparently they have increased there prices to cover the royalty costs, which keeps everyone happy.

I am only telling you what i have been told and i hope the people do get the money they are owed. However i cannot resist getting music so cheap.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Woodface has it right - Ipod really is the Nike of the mp3 player world. From a cost point of view there is no doubt the majority of the the non-apple players give you better value for money. Its best to go here and select the options at the top to browse by size/price or whatever (i wouldnt necessarily buy from dabs but their search filter system is excellent).
    Well - looking at this site, there is (price-wise) no competition at all of my own (80gb) iPod - it's far and away the most cost effective option. Maybe I'm using the site wrong?

The place where you really need to spend your money is on headphones - NONE of the players that i know have decent heaphones with them and its well worth getting new ones and simply binning the boxed ones.
    The Apple ones are OK, but I'm looking for something better. Any suggestions?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    IIRC it's a bit of a con.. it doesn't rip directly per se but can be done with a "virtual CD" in memory.
    Mmmm - no - it's not that - one can apparently simply strip the protection off the file, courtesy (I think) of DVD Jon's work on Fairplay.

Here's a Wiki

And here's the download page.

I haven't tried this as yet, but as far as I can tell, it's the best (only?) real bet at the moment.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Well - looking at this site, there is (price-wise) no competition at all of my own (80gb) iPod - it's far and away the most cost effective option. Maybe I'm using the site wrong?
    I stand corrected then - no need for sarcasm however, its only the most cost effective if you were looking for that sort of storage in the first place - for my use 1gb would be plenty and i manage fine on 256mb. I do tend to go home every day and all my music is there. It doesn't need to be in my pocket

The Apple ones are OK, but I'm looking for something better. Any suggestions?
    here is a decent place to start - I have sony extra bass ones that cost me about €35 - not sure of actual brand.

Commercial Operator

so you'll admit it is UTTERLY USELESS WITHOUT PROPRIETRY SOFTWARE then
    Not useless - just less convenient. You can install Linux on just about anything, after all - including your iPod

So no - you can do a lot without proprietary software. It just helps to have the completely free software that's provided for the purpose (and if you don't like it, you can always buy something else) to do the job...

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Interesting debate.

Despite being an iPod user (old 4th gen 40mb) and confirmed iTunes user, I passed by the Nano and now possess a beautiful Sandisk Sansa 6gb. The reason is that although I love iTunes ... I can't DJ (on a PC) from its protected files. So ... got a choice. Either I burn all my 400+ iTunes tracks to CD then rip back to MP3 and store under Media Player .... or someone tells me of some software that will allow me to convert directly .... please.
    Re-ripping between different lossy formats such as those used by iTunes, WMP or MP3 is bad practice. Each format basically compresses by throwing way some of the audio/digital information that isn't necessarilly needed. Thing is, not all formats throw away the same bits of information or parts of the soundscape. So when you re-rip (convert) a lossy into another lossy format, it deteriorates the quality further.

Depends if you can hear the difference.
    Depends if you DJ with them and if your customers can hear the difference.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

but generally - yes you can tell the difference unless its encoded at 320 or above. Sound quality of bought music has plummeted in the last 20 years...its very sad

but generally - yes you can tell the difference unless its encoded at 320 or above. Sound quality of bought music has plummeted in the last 20 years...its very sad
    I was kinda ignoring the whole sampling rate argument. What I meant was that if you convert between lossy formats then your music won't sound the same. (assuming you've sampled at the highest rate you can resolve the difference)

Basically, re-rip from the original CD or lossless format or choose carefully what your compressed audio format will be.
    Which will then influence your choice of MP3 player. (thereby geting back on thread)

Commercial Operator

I stand corrected then - no need for sarcasm however, its only the most cost effective if you were looking for that sort of storage in the first place - for my use 1gb would be plenty and i manage fine on 256mb. I do tend to go home every day and all my music is there. It doesn't need to be in my pocket
    No sarcasm intended. I promise!

I definitely need that kind of storage - my iPod now holds around 35 gig, and it's ever on the rise. Since it has the combined role of music backup device, emergency DJing tool, standard DJing tool for lessons, portable hifi for holidays, and entertainment system for commuting, it's nice for it to fit everything, with ... considerable room for growth.

here is a decent place to start - I have sony extra bass ones that cost me about €35 - not sure of actual brand.
    Ta. Looks promising - I'll pick something out from that.

Commercial Operator

A great pair of phones is the Sennheiser CX300 - got mine from amazon for £15 (now out of stock but you can get them from market place sellers) - really really good if you can stand the ear canal variety

I like my ipod with Video - expensive compared to others but it's just really good at what it does. Got mine at a knockdown price at the refurb store on Apple's UK site Apple Store - U.K. (go to bottom right of page)

Quote Originally Posted by clevedonboy View Post
    A great pair of phones is the Sennheiser CX300 - got mine from amazon for £15 (now out of stock but you can get them from market place sellers) - really really good if you can stand the ear canal variety
    Play have them for £17.99

Thread Information