Thread: How much does a busk cost?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How much does a busk cost?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    I assumed that teachers and DJs (and maybe taxis, as they're now employees?) were paid for working a busk, so there would be costs there.
    I always assumed these were "free" - i.e. the relevant individuals volunteered their time, were given Admit Ones, and the only real costs were in leaflet production.

Do buskers now get paid? Or is it still Admit Ones? Anyone know?

(In fact, do Taxi Dancers now get paid?)

Commercial Operator

Re: How much does a busk cost?

We give out admit ones and usually buy them cake and coffee/tea. Some shopping centres charge as well. Our local Tesco/M&S charge £150.

However, one new dancer, coming once a week, is worth 50X£7=£350

Sometimes we've done a busk that has resulted in nobody coming - especially school fetes. Busking in shopping centres is much more effective - but usually costs something.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post

..... Some shopping centres charge as well. Our local Tesco/M&S charge £150.
    Shopping centres I understand as that is within a privately owned property. But Tesco an M&S what sort of protection racket is that ? If their car park, again understandable; but if their frontage, how do they enforce that ? Do they threaten you with their heavies; ooh this dancin' lark is gettin' quite excitin' !!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Shopping centres I understand as that is within a privately owned property. But Tesco an M&S what sort of protection racket is that ? If their car park, again understandable; but if their frontage, how do they enforce that ? Do they threaten you with their heavies; ooh this dancin' lark is gettin' quite excitin' !!
    I have only done a few busk's but I love them

I was hoping to do one with John Baker, but he is having it when we are at Beach Boogie

are you going Whitebeard

if anyone is having a busk and you think I can get to it PM me

At a busk someone who diverts their shopping trip, just turns up for a few moments, watches the action, says "Hi" and walks off has contributed. Crowds attract crowds. If you had to pay somebody to do that probably £3 would be the minimum.
    Probably the amount you would have to pay people to do a few hours work on a Saturday would be over £20. Most of the buskers would want a lot more for "work". Because the buskers contribution is under-priced it does not mean that it should be under-valued. The organiser should estimate the true value of their contribution and ensure that the rewards to them and to the business are proportionate.
    The buskers motivation is likely to be social, and to bring in new members. Arranging a meet before and a meet afterwards will help to add to the social reward. The joy of a job recognised as well done will give them the sense of achievement.

The busk must work.

People must watch, people must come to the venue.

There will be people that have heard of MJ, and been curious to see what it is like. A busk is a low cost, easy way to find out. I would advertise the busk, the organisation, and the local venue beforehand. When a shopper hears music and thinks "What's that?" they should have an answer to hand, and be given the opportunity to divert slightly to have a look. They should have seen posters around town, or T-shirted people handing out flyers advertising the busk, organisation and venue. Prepare people to stop and watch.

It is always about preparation. There will have been people who wanted to help but are too busy on the day. They could be enticed into a bit of social interaction before hand helping to make advertising placards, placing ads in local shops, preparing snack trays, whatever. A little pre-busk tactical talk would not go amiss either. I have seen too many busks where the non-dancing gather behind the dancers, obscuring the banner . Chatting non-dancers should be outside looking in, spectators attract spectators. You are not allowed to obstruct the paths with obstacles, but a strategically placed chatting group or leaflet distributor can slow and divert passers by closer to the busk.
    Last edited by bigdjiver; 8th-July-2007 at 10:36 AM.

Thread Information