Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bad Backs

Re: Bad Backs

Quote Originally Posted by Juju View Post
    Not a lot! A bit of mild activity (from the therapist) and a lot of nothing (mostly from you). So you don't have much to lose by trying it - if nothing else it gives you some chill out time. If it works - have to give it another session or two first - I'll let you know.
    The guy I used to go to was a cranial oestopath, but he used reiki on my back. It was also mild activity, and the heat from his hands made the painful spot sweat. The paper underneath that spot would be wet when I got up.

His name is Carlos Constantinou and I've been trying to find him for a year now, if anyone knows which clinic he's at now.

Also he moved house.

Juju

Not a lot! A bit of mild activity (from the therapist) and a lot of nothing (mostly from you). So you don't have much to lose by trying it - if nothing else it gives you some chill out time. If it works - have to give it another session or two first - I'll let you know.
    Okaaaaaaaaay. Half an hour later and my arm is throbbing fit to fall off. Weird City.

Within my world (the fitness industry), low back pain is often attributed to prolonged exposure to positions of poor posture, i.e. sitting at your desk / work station, driving etc.

The reason for this is that the gluteal muscles (your butt) become stretched and weak and their opposing muscles (the hip flexors) become tight and reduce flexibility. Now, the gluteal muscles are responsible for hip extension, (taking the leg from front to back ...walking). If the gluteal group is stretched and weak, it will lose its ability to contract and produce hip extension..this movement then has to be countered by surrounding muscles...the low back and / or hamstings.

Ways in which this can be countered (very simply) are clenching the butt for a few reps every day to switch the muscle fibres on, stretching the hip flexors and ensuring that, if you are training regularly, or even dancing regularly, that you do a basic mobility warm up and cool down / stretch off. Don't worry about looking daft doing a warm up / cool down...as you'll not be the one with the low back pain!

As a side issue, it might also be worth asking a doc or physio to do a range of movement analysis and to check out a muscle called piriformis which can sometimes promote sciatica.

Hope that helps.

JB.

Bit of an epedemic, isn't there?

Has anyone tried the Bowen technique? If so, what did you think of it?
    Have had a few treatments, and it did absolutely nothing. Have also had things like reiki etc, and again - nothing.

As I've said in numerous other threads, the only think I think really works for a bad back is exercise, exercise, exercise. However, you have to be careful to do the right kind of exercise, and do the exercises correctly, and always listen to your body. Any sharp pain is a sign to stop!

As JB said, proper warm up, cool down and stretching is also very important.

Worst thing you can do if you have a back injury is to sit down and give up. Or as they say: 'Never take back pain lying down'

Quote Originally Posted by Jive Brummie View Post
    The reason for this is that the gluteal muscles (your butt) become stretched and weak and their opposing muscles (the hip flexors) become tight and reduce flexibility. Now, the gluteal muscles are responsible for hip extension, (taking the leg from front to back ...walking). If the gluteal group is stretched and weak, it will lose its ability to contract and produce hip extension..this movement then has to be countered by surrounding muscles...the low back and / or hamstings.
    Yes, they are all linked as I know to my cost. Have problems with hip extension, back and hamstring, but not the gluteal muscles {butt}

do a basic mobility warm up and cool down / stretch off. Don't worry about looking daft doing a warm up / cool down...as you'll not be the one with the low back pain!
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post

As JB said, proper warm up, cool down and stretching is also very important.
    My last episode was caused by a stupid DJ who put a long fast track on last. I had already agreed to the dance and didn't know what it would be. It's that awful one with the word 'jungle' in.

Still it's my own fault for not cooling down properly.

Please could DJ's play a slow track last? Otherwise the whole room should be doing cool down excercises and some venues push you out quick.

So much easier to cool down with a couple of slow tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    My last episode was caused by a stupid DJ who put a long fast track on last.

Still it's my own fault for not cooling down properly.

Please could DJ's play a slow track last? Otherwise the whole room should be doing cool down excercises and some venues push you out quick.

So much easier to cool down with a couple of slow tracks.
    This is why I actually say 'no' to dances sometimes.... I'd rather not injure myself, thank you so much!

This is why I actually say 'no' to dances sometimes.... I'd rather not injure myself, thank you so much!
    I've reached a decidedly delicate stage in life where I sit out most of the early part of the evening and my body language, rooted to a chair, shouts out "I don't want to dance to this clubby, thump thump, girly singer, rubbish (to me) track thank you." Mostly this is recognised and I'm left in peace, but occasionally a less sensitive (or more challenging) soul approaches and I'm forced to choose between yaye or naye. Invariably it's the former and my stamina is challenged. Sometimes I'm pleasurably surprised, more often ......

However, a decade or two ago I would have reckoned all this talk of dance 'injuries' and the need to warm up a bit effete to say the least in the context of normal social jiving. (Though I appreciate that you, LM, have a chronic problem.) I mean, it's not even county level let alone Olympic level exertion is it?

Juju

Have had a few treatments, and it did absolutely nothing.
    Turns out I've actually had a dramatic reaction to it ... just don't know how it's going to play out. Right now I feel like an elephant is sitting on my left arm (typing this one-handed)

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    However, a decade or two ago I would have reckoned all this talk of dance 'injuries' and the need to warm up a bit effete to say the least in the context of normal social jiving. (Though I appreciate that you, LM, have a chronic problem.) I mean, it's not even county level let alone Olympic level exertion is it?
    Well, my 'warming up' when I'm at a dance basically just consists of being quite gentle in my first couple of dances, and not to dance to anything really fast until I'm warmed up. I also very often say to my partner 'please be gentle, I've not warmed up yet'. I don't tend to do any stretching after just a night of social dancing, although I do when I'm at dance weekenders.

I was talking more about the importance of proper warming up and stretching when you do 'proper' exercise, like going to the gym etc.

Bit of an epedemic, isn't there?

Has anyone tried the Bowen technique? If so, what did you think of it? I'm having a session on Monday morning. I'm SO sick of being in constant pain and being unable to do things that I'll try anything.

And I miss dancing!
    Okaaaaaaaaay. Half an hour later and my arm is throbbing fit to fall off. Weird City.
    Turns out I've actually had a dramatic reaction to it ... just don't know how it's going to play out. Right now I feel like an elephant is sitting on my left arm (typing this one-handed)
    What part of the body was giving you pain Juju?
    Was it your back?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    I've reached a decidedly delicate stage in life where I sit out most of the early part of the evening and my body language, rooted to a chair, shouts out "I don't want to dance to this clubby, thump thump, girly singer, rubbish (to me) track thank you."
    I do think the DJ should start off slow
    But I suppose if you've done the class, you are nicely warmed up.
    But for folks with cronic injuries they may not want to risk a wrenching in the class.

Amir posted a very good post on warming up, cooling down and stretching before every dance session.

Well, my 'warming up' when I'm at a dance basically just consists of being quite gentle in my first couple of dances, and not to dance to anything really fast until I'm warmed up. I also very often say to my partner 'please be gentle, I've not warmed up yet'.
    Me too, but lately I've started warming up, especially if the venue is unheated. And especially in winter if you have become cold on your journey to the venue. But I forgot about the cooling down Amir recommends.

I don't tend to do any stretching after just a night of social dancing, although I do when I'm at dance weekenders.

I was talking more about the importance of proper warming up and stretching when you do 'proper' exercise, like going to the gym etc.
    Well we must start Little Monkey.
    There are only a few who do, but they are always very experienced dancers.

Hey guys,

Try not to fall foul of thinking that warm up's / cool down's / stretch off's are just for those undertaking what we would assume to be vigorous physical activity. Most injuries I see coming into the gym occur through simple movements that people undertake without thinking...reaching for the remote control...putting shoes on...basically movements that often replicate a twisting motion.

HOWEVER...do not think that twisting is the anti-christ...it is not. In fact it should be positively encouraged within the training environment. Think about it...even during walking, running etc, as the left foot comes forward...so does the right shoulder, twisting the body. Think of your gym now, and then think how many machines, both resistance and cardio vascular, encourage this type of movement...(I'll give you a clue..very few if any!). The best way to improve 'the core' (muscles between the base of the chest to the knee - not just the ab's!), is to include some form of resisted twisting based movement. Approach with caution however, if you have never done this type of thing before.

I run my own class within a gym in Dundee, which is set to music and is only 30 minutes long. In it we do loads of lunge patterns, forward, side and twisting, single arm, single leg, balance work, resisted movement work...you name it. It all assists in making the body more efficient in it's ability to move. Doesn't give you huge muscles and pumping veins but it does make your body far less likely to incur injury!

It's based on functional training...not pumping iron or doing endless minutes on the treadmill!

Have a go at some twist-based movement and see how you get on.

Enjoy.

JB.

Juju

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    What part of the body was giving you pain Juju?
    Was it your back?
    Shoulder, then arm, then sacroilliac, then knee, and so on.... Now everywhere. Hence my being awake at 2.15 am.

Quote Originally Posted by Jive Brummie View Post
    Hey guys,

Try not to fall foul of thinking that warm up's / cool down's / stretch off's are just for those undertaking what we would assume to be vigorous physical activity.
    It's just laziness on my part..... I really should stretch after dancing, but very rarely do.....

HOWEVER...do not think that twisting is the anti-christ...it is not. In fact it should be positively encouraged within the training environment.

I run my own class within a gym in Dundee {snip}

Have a go at some twist-based movement and see how you get on.
    Twisting exercises are excellent for bad backs, as long as they're done carefully. I do them as part of my training programme at the gym. I'm also lucky to have an excellent personal trainer who knows a lot about bad backs, and absolutely love my once weekly sesions with him.

Which gym do you run classes at JB? I'm with Fitness First in Hilltown.

It's just laziness on my part..... I really should stretch after dancing, but very rarely do.....

Twisting exercises are excellent for bad backs, as long as they're done carefully. I do them as part of my training programme at the gym. I'm also lucky to have an excellent personal trainer who knows a lot about bad backs, and absolutely love my once weekly sesions with him.
    There's a twisting excercise that's popular with dancers called the pretzel (not the ceroc dance move) It's done laid on the floor, but I don't want to describe it in case I describe it wrong.

Which gym do you run classes at JB? I'm with Fitness First in Hilltown.
    Energie Fitness, next to the Odeon in Douglas

Thread Information