Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad Backs

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Re: Bad Backs

I think it is a core strength problem. I have had a bit of an issue with fitness and health recently. I lost 1 and half stone over southport that I have been unable to put back on. Then again I have been dancing almost every night since and those that know me will back up that I hardly ever sit a song out and dance with alot of energy.

Back seems to be getting a little better as the days go by. just need to keep moving with it.

Wondering if taking up martial arts again would help. Don't have time at mo though.

Quote Originally Posted by Missy D View Post
    Be very careful with Chiropractors!!

I had a really bad injury last Sept and hurt my neck. I couldnt turn my head at all. The following day I went to the local Chiroprator - he snapped my neck leaving my head lolling over the one side. By the end of the night I was in so much pain. Landed up in A & E who took an xray and gave me some anti inflammatory. The injury is still with me today and I am often experiencing tingling down my right side. Next week 12th July I am having an MRI to find out what is wrong. The hospital reckoned the chiropractor did more damage and I paid £45 for that too.
    Really, really, really, really, really you should issue a claim against him. If you have had pain and discomfort lasting several months - not far off a year - that will translate into a serious claim (though not much money involved). Injurties caused by 'professional' negligence are more frowned upon than those caused by carelessness of the ordinary citizen.

Did you look at the link above to the newspaper report of the medical journal article which concludes that at least 50% of people who have spinal manipulation are worse off afterwards?

If the pain is going down your leg, I recommend seeing a physio before the trapped nerve becomes too inflamed.

Otherwise, it will take a lot longer to solve.

I too suffered your symptoms and highly recommend seeing the physio (for ultrasound treatment and to make sure you have the right diagnosis).

Also do the exercises that your physio gives you religiously. They really do help

Join a gym and continue exercising properly for life.

It's worked for me. I have very few relapses now

Daisy

(A Fit Little FLower)

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    Has anyone else have this?
    Not exactly the same, but I've had big trouble with my back recently. I was having "normal" back pain off and on for a while but I just ignored it or took pain killers.

BIG mistake.

I ended up with a protruding L5 disc, pain down my left leg, couldn't stand up for more than a couple of minutes, could barely walk and was unable to go dancing for weeks. Chiropractic treatment helped me enormously. 2 months on from the original injury it's still not perfect, but it's constantly improving. My chiropractor gave me exercises to do at home to increase the strength of my back muscles to help prevent recurrences.

My advice would be to get it sorted as soon as possible before it develops into something worse. Back injuries should never be trivialised or ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    I think it's Neurophen that do back pain tablets. My mum swears by them. Anyone else tried them? think i will try to find some this eve.
    Be extremely careful of Ibuprofen or any other NSAID's (Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs) They can play MERRY HELL with your stomach lining.. I've been there , done that, had the tummy ache.. narrowly averted getting the Stomach Ulcer !

Ibuprofen gel is marginally better but don't over use it. (I use it on my bad back and boy does it work well!)

if you must take tablets don't take them on an empty belly.

But as said above they only treat symptoms not the cause so look into that and use painkillers as a back up.

I hear playing tennis can be bad for the back,

better just stick to dancing

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    Be extremely careful of Ibuprofen or any other NSAID's (Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs) They can play MERRY HELL with your stomach lining.. I've been there , done that, had the tummy ache.. narrowly averted getting the Stomach Ulcer !
    Ibuprofen is also linked to cancer.
    This is off the record, the NHS thinks it's OK

After prolapsing my disc and having sciatica also on-of for 4yrs I decided to stop smoking, lose weight and...go dancing!
    Well for me it works, I've lost nearly 2 stone and it's going down at a nice steady rate.

Going to the Gym never ever worked for the simple reason however I tired to explain to the staff about my back they would force me to try the rowing / step machines even though I told to lay off by my chiropractor.

The last time my back went, I never used tablets...just used a lots of heat from a gel-pack I put in the microwave and ralgex. I never panicked or got upset, just dealt with it..trying to stay positive. it lasted a lot lot less than normal and that was 6 months ago. But I guess everyone deals with it in their own way!

Over a fairly long lifetime I've found that these things (back pains, sciatica, even cervical spondelosa) just come and go willynilly; obeying no logical order in causing distress but yielding little at the time to the mild painkillers our doctor's are allowed to prescribe ad lib.

My experience of NSAID's is that they are pretty well useless in the face of serious pain and, since I'm on low dose daily aspirin for blood pressure, they're out of bounds for me anyway. Paracetamol is in a different class but is, yet again I find, just as useless for dumbning pain.

Unfortunately, arthritis eventually strikes and causes permanent and irreversible problems. Quack remedies regardless. The only saving grace for me is that the dancefloor does seem to trigger the release of, what, natural endomorphs and andrenoline (?), which allow me to forget and ignore the painful messages from my knees and feet.

I'd love to see whether a spliff was the answer I've been looking for.
    Last edited by Whitebeard; 7th-July-2007 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Over a fairly long lifetime I've found that these things (back pains, sciatica, even cervical spondelosa) just come and go willynilly; obeying no logical order in causing distress
    Alan Titchmarsh, the gardener, wrote in an article that he puts his back out whilst gardening, but it is always caused by something silly like bending down to pick up a leaf.

Unhappy Re: Bad Backs

I'm sitting here crocked with a Bad Back...

It had been a little bit sensitive recently as we'd been doing lots of practising for Blackpool...

However a notoriously bad woman dancer (with let's just say a wee bit more Momentum than most..) asked me to dance at the weekend.. i said "No" but my missus said i was being rude... So i gave in and danced with her.. needless to say here I am sitting at my desk dozed up on Codeine and planning some Physio!!! So much for being polite...

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Billi Wiz View Post
    However a notoriously bad woman dancer (with let's just say a wee bit more Momentum than most..) asked me to dance at the weekend.. i said "No" but my missus said i was being rude... So i gave in and danced with her.. needless to say here I am sitting at my desk dozed up on Codeine and planning some Physio!!!

Very sorry to hear about that. I can recommend a superb chiro if you'd like - just let me know.

Hope you have a quick recovery.

Stray

I've got one too for no apparent reason, just to add to the mix of other stuff.

If I were a horse I'd be sent off to the knackers yard.

One injury seems to throw the whole body out of alignment.

[quote=Billi Wiz;462960]

It had been a little bit sensitive recently as we'd been doing lots of practising for Blackpool...

quote]
    me and my dance partner too-both ahve bad backs......we've only managed to dance twice since then, and we normally dance 4-5 nights a week
    Last edited by DD+; 27th-March-2008 at 11:58 PM.

From what I'm hearing quite a few competitors from Blackpool have Post-Blackbool malaise, injuries, soreness ....or low-level depression (How can real-life compare with such sparkling effervescence??)

We usually dance 3-4 times a week but have not really got back in the Swing (as it were..)

Hopefully time will heal the mental & physical fatigue and we can all get back to happy bopping (Tho I will be trying to avoid the Big-Bird that twisted my spine!! I'm currently shuffling about like Steptoe...)

Juju

Bit of an epedemic, isn't there?

Has anyone tried the Bowen technique? If so, what did you think of it? I'm having a session on Monday morning. I'm SO sick of being in constant pain and being unable to do things that I'll try anything.

And I miss dancing!
    Last edited by Juju; 28th-March-2008 at 07:03 PM.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Juju View Post
    Bit of an epedemic, isn't there?

Has anyone tried the Bowen technique? If so, what did you think of it?
    Yes, and I thought it was amazing, although a very strange experience. It helped a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Juju View Post

Has anyone tried the Bowen technique? If so, what did you think of it? I'm having a session on Monday morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Yes, and I thought it was amazing, although a very strange experience. It helped a great deal.
    What happens?

Nothing to do with Jim Bowen then, Bully's Star prize of a luxury caravan and nothing for two-in-a -bed!!

e.g....

Jim Bowen's Bullseye Catchphrases and common phrases
    • "Are you asking me or telling me?"
    • "Super, smashing, great"
    • "All for the throw of a dart!"
    • "Let's have a look at what you could've won!"
    • "It'll take me two minutes to count this money out, see you in a couple of minutes"
    • "Take your time"
    • "Let's check it with bully"
    • "(Faces, Places, Books, Showbiz, History, Words, Affairs) we'd like"
    • "You can't beat a bit of bully!"
    • "Wouldn't be the same without a bit of bully on Sunday would it"
    • "Sunday wouldn't be Sunday without a bit of bully"
    • "Thanks for joining us down here at central"
    • "What happened to your legs?"
    • "Like a Frogakapump ya cant go back"
    • "you got your £2 here but itll take me the commercial break to count it out."
    • "Remember lads, if you fail to reach a hundred, you go home with sweet BFH, Bus Fare Home"
    Actually I could use a few of those at the next Freestyle.....

Juju

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    What happens?
    Not a lot! A bit of mild activity (from the therapist) and a lot of nothing (mostly from you). So you don't have much to lose by trying it - if nothing else it gives you some chill out time. If it works - have to give it another session or two first - I'll let you know.

Thread Information