3 1.63%
  • Click, click, click...

1 0.54%
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Facebook

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Facebook

theres the privacy link in the top right for your options - only started playing with it myself

Anyone see the news on BBC1 tonight about Oxford students facing disciplinary actions after University staff has 'spied' on them using facebook:

"It has been brought to the attention of the Student Union that the proctors have been using evidence gathered from Facebook for disciplinary matters,"

Read article here.

Apparently people have also been turned down when applying for jobs etc because of evidence about their behaviour being collected from facebook. A lot of people are shocked, as they thought their information could only be accessed by friends they had invited themselves.

Well I've looked at my facebook account (aparently I had one ages ago) and I had a few friend requests I've just accepted but I'm not overly impressed...

I prefer myspace, it's so much simpler and much more customizable.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    Anyone see the news on BBC1 tonight about Oxford students facing disciplinary actions after University staff has 'spied' on them using facebook:

"It has been brought to the attention of the Student Union that the proctors have been using evidence gathered from Facebook for disciplinary matters,"

Read article here.

Apparently people have also been turned down when applying for jobs etc because of evidence about their behaviour being collected from facebook. A lot of people are shocked, as they thought their information could only be accessed by friends they had invited themselves.
    it can only be accessed by friends, unless you join a network, and i dont know if you can use your limted profile for that...not tried. Safer not to join any networks.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    The rules say something like 'no street parties on the high street' which seems fairly reasonable, given the potential for things to get out of hand with 100s of pissed students in the middle of the day. The proctors are generally out in force, and have presumably caught out a few people who were trying to make out that they were someone else - not really spying, and it's a game that's been going on for 100s of years anyway!

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    The thing I'm wondering about though is the whole issue of friends - to me a friend is someone i know quite well and would be happy to have them over for dinner or have them stay in my house. Fair enough, there are some people I would do this with even if I have not physically met them but this is rare - as a result of this, Ive been ignoring any friend requests from people i have never actually met. No offense to them - some of them I know from the forum but I don't feel its appropriate.
    I understand!The thing I don't like about it is if you click on an application, then don't like it, it seems impossible to get rid of it. For instance, the Hotgifts - I have too many things I like, I wanted to change some as tastes change, and althought there is a delete button it does not work.

It may be the same with the photo too, there is no button for changing it AFAIKC. SO important to get a good one and not use a stop gap?

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I understand!

The thing I don't like about it is if you click on an application, then don't like it, it seems impossible to get rid of it. For instance, the Hotgifts - I have too many things I like, I wanted to change some as tastes change, and althought there is a delete button it does not work.

It may be the same with the photo too, there is no button for changing it AFAIKC. SO important to get a good one and not use a stop gap?
    On the left handside under the search box you will see the word applications and edit - click on edit and from there you can remove applications you no longer want - it would seem that all applications are removable - even the core ones you get as defaults

Quote Originally Posted by Yliander View Post
    On the left handside under the search box you will see the word applications and edit - click on edit and from there you can remove applications you no longer want - it would seem that all applications are removable - even the core ones you get as defaults
    Hey thanks Yliander, it worked.

Saying that there are a couple of people that I don't know that well "killingtime" being the one i know least well (but he seems mostly harmless ) but Ill give them the benefit of the doubt.
    I'm lovely really. I take a similar policy, I don't tend to add people I just "know" unless they add me (in which case I go along with it).

it can only be accessed by friends, unless you join a network, and i dont know if you can use your limted profile for that...not tried. Safer not to join any networks.
    If you click on the privicy link next to the logout one you can change what your defaults are (from everyone seeing everything to only your friends seeing everything). By default it is friends and networks but I'm not really a friend of everyone in Edinburgh so I set almost all my settings to friends only.

Quote Originally Posted by Yliander View Post
    They delete ok, but if you want to add them later, they reappear with all the same junk on.

The same hotgifts have reappeared.
    Also when I added Top Friends again, the requests started churning out again, which is so embarrassing. These requests seem to be on auto and go out every day to 5 people, then the next day another 5 people.

For those of you on Facebook, be aware of the danger of identity theft and don't give too much info out.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

thats common sense - and the reason you have restricted profiles...

the story does point out that Orlando Bloom is breaking the rules of facebook, that of not using your own name, and he should be kicked off if found out

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    be aware of the danger of identity theft and don't give too much info out.
    Sensible advive, and the reason I didn't use my real birthday on there. I also removed myself from the London network. There's no reason why a million strangers should be able to see more than my name and pic.

Greg

Ive joined face book, after having been invited by '4 friends' to join . 1 of them i actually know.

Seems a 'complicated' site but maybe thats me being 38

Wont post a pic as not fair on the ladies as im attached

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman View Post
    Sensible advive, and the reason I didn't use my real birthday on there. I also removed myself from the London network. There's no reason why a million strangers should be able to see more than my name and pic.

Greg
    i quickly removed myself from networks when i realised what that entailed - i would advise others to do the same. As it is, I do have correct details on there but only my friends see them.

Did anybody see this today?

Facebook site faces fraud claim

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

yup, sounds like sour grapes. A networking idea was not a difficult one to come up with - after the success of myspace, friendsreunited etc..etc.. it just needed to be done well. Its jsut another "da vinci code" was based on our book lawsuit

I have recently started to vet Job applicants by looking at their profiles on Bebo / facebook / myspace etc.

Its amazing what a search on an email address can produce.

It may be unfair, but i have recently consigned perfectly good job application CV's to the bin, based on what i found on their "web pages"

Beware what you post. Despite what many people think,
    Employers are not stupid, and if your postings are full of foul language, or your obsession with sex or whatever, then these public sites may damage your career prospects.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bombay Sapphire View Post
    It may be unfair, but i have recently consigned perfectly good job application CV's to the bin, based on what i found on their "web pages"
    It is VERY unfair, and I imagine illegal as well. Its simple discrimination, you are biased against a person based on what is on a page somewhere. The person you hire instead may be much worse - but you'll not know if you couldn't find anything about them on the internet. Also, you have no way of knowing just how serious someone is about what they publish on the internet - you are building your opinion based on a, very likely false, perception based on some words on some web pages...

For an example - see this story
    . About a girl "fired from her job because of a picture she posted on her mySpace page". It was of her wearing a pirate hat and drinking with the title "Drunken Pirate". The school district she was working as a student teacher for heard about it, viewed it, and subsequently fired her for lack of professionalism. Employers can quite rightly expect professionalism in the job, but they cannot demand ANYTHING of someones private life.

They judged her by their own "perfect" moral standards. This is wrong, and a matter of opinion on what those standards should be. This is enough evidence for me to make me think that ANYTHING that goes against what your employers or possible employers hold as their own standards, will at some point be seen as a reason for sacking or not hiring you. That could be skin colour, religion or a picture they don't like...

Who do they think they are? In fact, who do you think YOU are? I wouldn't want to EVER work for your company knowing what you have just told me.

You are building your opinion based on a, very likely false, perception based on some words on some web pages.
    The research I've seen suggests that there is a strong correlation between the impression given by a facebook page, and one's actual personality, even in cases where people are attempting to give a different impression.

Thread Information