• What's Facebook?

3 1.63%
  • Click, click, click...

1 0.54%
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Facebook

Re: Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Feelingpink View Post
    4mb is 4mb. Yours are less than 1mb which will be just great for a Facebook photo.
    Thanks Feelingpink, I'll give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by shoequeen View Post
    Facebooks really useful when your organising an event it makes it so much easier than txting everyone you want to invite separately!!!!
    And how is it better/more convenient than just sending out a mass e-mail to all your friends?? Obviously, if you stay in touch with them via facebook this means they've got internet access and email addresses, so.....?

Sorry, I still don't get what's so fabulous about this facebook business. Maybe I should try it just so I can see what the fuss is all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    Sorry, I still don't get what's so fabulous about this facebook business. Maybe I should try it just so I can see what the fuss is all about?
    And there is at least one picture of you on there at the moment but I can't tag you in it .

Everyone seems to be going mad over Facebook! I'm a myspace user myself, will have to see what all the fuss is about wont I!

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
    And there is at least one picture of you on there at the moment but I can't tag you in it .
    I've now registered on the damned thing just to see what the fuss is about. I don't like the layout of it, and don't see what the hype is about.... If I want to 'chat' to friends, I can use messenger or just pick up the phone (oh, how terribly old-fashioned I am), and the whole messages on the wall thing..... Everyone can see all your messages, all the time? No privacy? Why would it be useful to put messages 'on the wall'?

And what's 'poking' all about? And why would I want to do it? Or indeed 'tickle, hug, bite, kiss' etc anyone? What happens, do they just get a message with 'Person X just hugged you'? Great....

Oh, and where's the picture of me? And what happens if you 'tag' it?????

And how is it better/more convenient than just sending out a mass e-mail to all your friends?? Obviously, if you stay in touch with them via facebook this means they've got internet access and email addresses, so.....?

Because you have a "wall" to write on so everyone can suggest ideas and discuss the event just like a forum! When were doing fancy dress (You can tell I"m a student! ) we use it to 'shotgun' outfits and characters so not everyone wears the same outfit!
    If the plan is changed it updates everyone! Plus it allows every1 to see whos invited/ attending/ declined so whether your organising or going you know roughly whos going to be there!
    I'm not saying its useful for everyone but it was originally started as a way for students to talk (although I think it's much better now its open to everyone!) and i find it useful as most of my friends use it!

LM - you put up your own photo on your profile ... and you can tag yourself or your friends in photographs -which means that when someone clicks on your profile, they can see photos that you've been tagged in (useful for parties, get-togethers etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    Are you on it?
    If not why not?

I haven't decided whether it's a great thing or just another way to while-away the hours yet (although it has meant I've messaged some people I haven't spoken to in years).
    I'm on it now... it takes a bit of getting used to how to do stuff, and yes it's one other website that I need to keep an eye on! But!! I get to see what everyone is up to and it just gives me that little bit more interaction I with people I can't see every day. And any contact with you guys is good contact!

Unless you're being mean to me, then go away

Quote Originally Posted by HelenB View Post
    My boyfriend took weeks to confirm that we were in a relationship

(even though we've got a joint mortgage and a cat )
    That's just like a woman. You're happily grooving on things, getting on fine, and all of a sudden they start talking about 'our relationship'...

Commercial Operator

Blue coat has just locked me out of facebook as it is now classified as networking so no go for me.

Moderately interesting article about facebook and friends reunited here (picked up via slashdot)

Well, I'm reluctantly admitting that facebook has it's uses (but mostly as yet another way of wasting time) - I'm back in touch with a girl I used to go to school with 12 years ago, who I've not been in touch with for a few years. We're even going to meet up in Oslo in a couple of weeks!

Mostly I'm now sitting wasting my time by poking friends and adding applications to my facebook profile, which are completely useless, and spending slightly less time on the forum.

It's better than writing complete nonsense on the Singletons sofa, though...

It's better than writing complete nonsense on the Singletons sofa, though...
    I'd stick to the singletons sofa, mate. That Face Book is evil.

Blog Entries

i registered today and within two hours i unregistered. dont like it at all. People can see you, add you and people i have not spoken too for years all of a sudden can get in touch with ya. Dont like that at all.

Unregistered now thank goodness.

Horrible site.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    i registered today and within two hours i unregistered. dont like it at all. People can see you, add you
    They can request your friendship, but cannot add you against your wishes AFAIK.
    and people i have not spoken too for years all of a sudden can get in touch with ya. Dont like that at all.
    Yeah, no blasts from the past for me yet, touch wood. What relics eh?
    So you won't be causing Trouble on Facebook?

Ok I accidently clicked that some people can only see my limited profile. Sorry peeps! How do I change this anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    i registered today and within two hours i unregistered. dont like it at all. People can see you, add you and people i have not spoken too for years all of a sudden can get in touch with ya. Dont like that at all.

Unregistered now thank goodness.

Horrible site.
    From what I can tell other users can only see your profile if you agree to add them to your friends lists, or if you join a network (which is your choice)

The only thing everyone can see is who is on your "friends" list.

I haven't joined any networks so that only the people I add to my friends can see my profile (and you can decide to limit what your friends can see).

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    Ok I accidently clicked that some people can only see my limited profile. Sorry peeps! How do I change this anyone know?
    Go to privacy options, there should be an option there to add/remove people to your limited and blocked lists.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

how does everyone use facebook? read on...

I like the idea and now I realise what its all about - i have requested they change my name to my real name - but thats been a week and they've not sorted that yet (they do it by hand apparently).

The networking aspect is great and it will certainly be a good way to keep in touch with friends you inevitably lose track off. The thing I'm wondering about though is the whole issue of friends - to me a friend is someone i know quite well and would be happy to have them over for dinner or have them stay in my house. Fair enough, there are some people I would do this with even if I have not physically met them but this is rare - as a result of this, Ive been ignoring any friend requests from people i have never actually met. No offense to them - some of them I know from the forum but I don't feel its appropriate. My profile includes my home and mobile numbers - what would happen if a "friend" I'd added used it, someone i had only ever seen on the forum and never physically spoken to - the conversation would be the first one i had ever had with them in my life...that can't be right surely ?

Saying that there are a couple of people that I don't know that well "killingtime" being the one i know least well (but he seems mostly harmless ) but Ill give them the benefit of the doubt.

I think my opinion on this may change over time - for example where there is a business related network i want to be part of - but even then, i think i would have a limited profile in that case. Comments ?

Heres a link to a recent article on this subject

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I think my opinion on this may change over time - for example where there is a business related network i want to be part of - but even then, i think i would have a limited profile in that case. Comments ?
    Is it possible to set up multiple profiles, or different profile "levels"? Just started mucking about with this thing.

Thread Information