3 1.63%
  • Click, click, click...

1 0.54%
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: Facebook

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Re: Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I never allow myself to have more than 100, so if someone requests frendship with me and I want to accept, then someone less important/more boring gets the chop.
    Aw, I'm in someones top 100. (Bugger that won't last long)

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I never know exactly, but I have my own rule about Facebook Friends. I never allow myself to have more than 100, so if someone requests frendship with me and I want to accept, then someone less important/more boring gets the chop.
    I feel loved right now I have no such limit (i think I'm over 100), but I won't add anyone based on the very tenuous links that others add on - i have had "oh thats who you are" from "facebook friends" realising who i am after commenting on something - i think, what? don't you vet people I'd find it strange if I couldn't say where I know each person from...

It's very interesting facebook, a real social-phenominnywhatnot. Innit? I find I can catagorise everyone in one of 7 groups :

Family
    Real Life Friends
    Online Friends
    Dance Friends
    Work Friends
    Old Friends (discovered them on facebook but we have lost touch physically)
    Genetically Altered Freaks

Obviously there can be a great deal of overlap.

I admit there are a few who I don't know very well at all, but I would like to, so surely that counts.

It's clear that some people use facebook as a way to collect as many "friends" as possible, but thats not wrong - it IS surely a great way to meet random people that may well become the subject of a lawsuit given enough time.

So, people of the forum how do YOU use facebook ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I feel loved right now
    and so you should! One of my other Facebook rules is that I don't befriend or accept friend requests from people I've never met. For you I've made an exception. It actually feels quite weird to think that we've never met...I feel like I've known you for years. We really must get together for a curry and a few beers at some point. Then you might have a better idea if I fall into other categories than the ones I'm already in (I'm guessing 3 and 7 at the moment)

I've quite a few friends... yes a few that I haven't met IRL, or have only met briefly at weekenders etc - but I reckon if I interact with people in an online community, I can interact with them online in FB. So I have people from this, and another (non dance) forum.

But most are people that I would know to some extent IRL.

Every so often I have a cull and delete people that I never see, who I never interact with on FB, who I am unlikely to meet again etc. I have 9 FR at the mo that I haven't accepted as I either don't know the people are, have only met them once, or wonder am I being added just so they can collect friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I have 9 FR at the mo that I haven't accepted as I either don't know the people are, have only met them once, or wonder am I being added just so they can collect friends.
    I never have as many as this on the go, but most of my friend requests nowadays are people adding everyone as a networking tool to sell their events/dance venues. I usually block all of these as I don't want to be their friends and see their status/walls/profiles etc. I wouldn't mind if they set up a group - then I can opt in and join their group as and when I find out about it, but they're not anyone I'm likely to meet.

In terms of using FB, I tend to have different groups: dancing, old school/uni friends, work friends, and home friends. Apart from dancing friends, many of them I don't see that frequently, but it's a really handy way of immediately being able to catch up, chat, and keep in touch.

There are some I do need to cull though - usually those I've put on a limited profile that I never really want to chat to or meet up with.

The Dashing Moderator

Love dance, will travel

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

can i just point that most of the "No, I'm nots" are lying through their teeth

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Thanks DS, I have now changed my vote this thread did start in 2007 you know
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

thanks to facebook, I have "reconnected" with friends I have not seen for over 30 years, they seem to have scattered to the 4 corners of the earth

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    thanks to facebook, I have "reconnected" with friends I have not seen for over 30 years, they seem to have scattered to the 4 corners of the earth
    that should tell you something

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    They say face book and similar social web sites are now the biggest ‘named’ reason for divorce

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    They say face book and similar social web sites are now the biggest ‘named’ reason for divorce
    I am not surprised!!!

Ok I may seem very naive and stupid now but what is the poke thing on FB all about, not sure if it's a oy type thing or a 'well hello' or both, when you've stopped laughing at me please explain

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    Ok I may seem very naive and stupid now but what is the poke thing on FB all about, not sure if it's a oy type thing or a 'well hello' or both, when you've stopped laughing at me please explain
    It started off as a demo application on facebook. The code was open so developers could use it.

Facebook made it live on the site for inittially a few weeks and it became popular so they left it.

It's nothing exciting. Just a kind of "hello" thing. It doesn't do much apart from saying you have been poked.

Most people ignore it.

Thread Information