Thread: Your favorite workshop

Your favorite workshop

What would be your favorite workshop?

I am judging and have been asked to teach an after comp workshop in Aussie in 1 1/2 weeks.

There are 4 teachers from across Australia doing the workshops, on the day after the comp.

I was asked what I would like to teach - I went for...

Lead and follow techniques:
    Varying timing, tensions and partner connection.

Would you go for this one, or would you prefer "moves" "triples" "ariels" or something else...

If you could design your own workshop for someone to teach to you... what would you choose???

Re: Your favorite workshop

My favourite workshop was from Johnny Lloyd. It was a Lindy weekender, but he was teaching dance rather than teaching Lindy. He started by teaching us lead and follow fundamentals. In closed position, side by side, we learnt how to lead a forward step, a backward step, a tap-step, a pause, a kick-step, and so forth. We slowly built up confidence in this until we could do a "walking dance" solely in promenade position, playing with the music and with arbitrary combinations of these movements. Then towards the end he put those lead and followed movements together in a certain order, and suddenly we were dancing side-by-side Charleston. With complete lead and follow and an infinite number of variations available to us.

I'd love to take a Modern Jive workshop taught on the same principle. Somehow it was a very rewarding and satisfying experience, and it was great to have our own little private dance style.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    My favourite workshop was from Johnny Lloyd.
    I've either done this one, or one very similar - it wasn't Sultans of Swing two or three years ago, was it? The one I was at was an amazing workshop (iirc, he included a section on leading one type of step while doing something something else?). I'd love to try that workshop again, in fact, as I'd be far better able to gain from it than I was back then.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    I'd love to take a Modern Jive workshop taught on the same principle. Somehow it was a very rewarding and satisfying experience, and it was great to have our own little private dance style.
    That I'd love to see.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    I've either done this one, or one very similar - it wasn't Sultans of Swing two or three years ago, was it?
    Yeah. I did the Beginner-level version of it, but I understand he taught similar material to his other classes, obviously at a higher level.

Slides and heel slides - 'nuff said
    SpinDr

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Lead and follow techniques:
    Varying timing, tensions and partner connection.
    The problem with workshops is that the descriptions mean very different things to different people. Also, the size of the workshop will make a difference to what is practical - and your description might also affect who will chose to turn up. I usually walk out of classes where there is no lead/follow being taught, so your description is sort of a basic assumption about any workshop I'd go to (unless it's a solo style class).

The most successful lead/follow workshops I have done are those that take a specific piece of music and set some moves to fit, whilst avoiding making it a choreographed routine. This seems to work in a large class, or a smaller workshop. Use some difficult music, and keep most of the moves simple to allow people to work on the timing and connection. I did a very useful workshop with CJ like this, which I felt has shown me how far I can push the level that I dance at.

This is a bit different from formally teaching technique, which is probably useful (and also the sort of workshop I'd be interested in) but is more of a useful foundation to use, and is maybe better suited to being a part of a regular class.

Sean

Mine would be style and musical interpretation.

I don't think I've ever been taught either of these (and it shows)

Daisy

(A Style-less Little Flower)

I'd teach what you are good at teaching. Then become the participant's favourite workshop!

Everyone is going to have differnet needs/wants at different stages of their dancing life. What might be someone's favourite now, might not be relevant in a year or two's time. So simply play to your strengths and give them the best of what you have to teach them.

"How to look like Jordan or Tatiana without necessarily knowing WCS"
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Thread Information