Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anonymity and the Forum (again)

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Has the bubble burst?

Moved from the "Has the bubble burst" thread

Quote Originally Posted by scotttwin View Post
    I don't agree I think people on this forum should be judged based on their opinions and views as detailed in their posts.
    But if we don't know some backstory, we're less likely to give those arguments any credibility. Online credibility is clearly tied in with identity - for example, look at the "real name" badges on Amazon reviewers.

Obviously we won't make you divulge any details you don't want to, but you should be aware that the lack of such details (for example, how many years have you been dancing, where have you danced, are you a taxi / teacher, and so on) means that people take your opinions less seriously. That's just the way the culture of this forum (and the Web in general) works.
    Last edited by David Bailey; 4th-July-2007 at 12:54 PM.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    But if we don't know some backstory, we're less likely to give those arguments any credibility. Online credibility is clearly tied in with identity - for example, look at the "real name" badges on Amazon reviewers.

Obviously we won't make you divulge any details you don't want to, but you should be aware that the lack of such details (for example, how many years have you been dancing, where have you danced, are you a taxi / teacher, and so on) means that people take your opinions less seriously. That's just the way the culture of this forum (and the Web in general) works.
    This post is far too reasonable and balanced. It's only saving grace is that it's totally off-topic ...

On the subject of scotttwin, I believe that the only reason for anonymity on a dance forum is to creat mischief and conflict. We're much more friendly in person that we are on here. But scotttwin doesn't want to meet us in person citing that fact that it will get personal if he/she identifies her/himself. I'm finding the ignore list perfect for these situations. Somebody please let me know when scotttwin starts to behave like a "normal" member of the forum. For now, as I know nothing about him/her, scotttwin has nothing to say that I want to hear

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    We're much more friendly in person that we are on here.
    I suspect only because you have to be to avoid emergency dental repairs.

It seems to me Andy that if I had just agreed with you, there wouldn't have been a problem, well I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it!

Is it any wonder of the 527 visitors to this Forum in the last 24 hours only a fraction of the these people have actually made a post. In my opinion this forum should be trying to gather the opinions from the maximum number of Forum members, however with the form of verbal bullying by the likes of Andy this forum will unfortunately reflect the opinions of a minority.

This is a great shame, but perhaps this is how certain individuals like it to be.

The advantage of not real names is that one is more able to express real feelings.

Commercial Operator

It seems to me Andy that if I had just agreed with you, there wouldn't have been a problem, well I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it!
    But you are afraid to have people associate it with the 'real' you? Interesting...

I don't perceive Andy's posts to contain any form of verbal bullying. It's simply that, like you, he's certainly not afraid to give his opinion. On the other hand, he doesn't mind that opinion being associated with his real-life self. Which, to me, speaks volumes.

£10 per venue per week doesn't sound like much. Would that pay for organising a couple of busks a year, leaflets, website and mailing list?

Is it any wonder of the 527 visitors to this Forum in the last 24 hours only a fraction of the these people have actually made a post.
    That is absolutely standard on online forums. There are always more observers than participants.

Blog Entries

Is it any wonder of the 527 visitors to this Forum in the last 24 hours only a fraction of the these people have actually made a post.
    As MartinHarper has said, all online forums have this aspect.

There's a good article from Jacob Nielsen (usability guru) on this area:
    Participation Inequality: Lurkers vs. Contributors in Internet Communities (Jakob Nielsen's Alertbox)

Summary:
    In most online communities, 90% of users are lurkers who never contribute, 9% of users contribute a little, and 1% of users account for almost all the action.
    So it's a generic characteristic.

The best you can do is try to improve the "active" levels, but you'll still get most people lurking, some people contributing, and a few loudmouths ( ) making the most noise.

In my opinion this forum should be trying to gather the opinions from the maximum number of Forum members, however with the form of verbal bullying by the likes of Andy this forum will unfortunately reflect the opinions of a minority.
    Andy's not bullying in my opinion - however, as always, feel free to report any posts which you think are breaking the Forum rules.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    The advantage of not real names is that one is more able to express real feelings.
    And the disadvantage is, that people don't take your opinions (as) seriously.

Credibility is closely associated with identity, or at least with background. I'm not making this up - I can dig up studies on this area if you want, it's actually something I have some experience in.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    Not sure about that one. Real feelings or the ability to troll it up big time with no come back?

Anonymous posters and not taken seriously on this forum. I've seen it time and time again over the last year and as a result, they get bored and go elsewhere because they are fed up of shouting and not being heard.

Storm in a teacup.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

There is a big difference between using your real name and being anonymous though There are have been very few anonymous posters in the life of this forum.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    There are have been very few anonymous posters in the life of this forum.
    That's because whenever someone comes on anonymously, it becomes a mission to the rest of us to reveal their identity!

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Anonymous posters and not taken seriously on this forum.
    Just spent 20 quid upgrading to Silver membership therefore I want to be taken seriously and remain anonymous. Miguel

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Just spent 20 quid upgrading to Silver membership therefore I want to be taken seriously and remain anonymous. Miguel
    I'm sorry, do I know you?

Nice balls by the way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    you could never be anonymous with balls like that. It gives your dance style a certain edge thats for sure.!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I'm sorry, do I know you?
    Don't think I've had the pleasure.

Nice balls by the way.
    Muchas gracias.

Re: Anonymity and the Forum (again)

I would have thought that mirrored balls would be the ideal accessory for the man with a vain lady in his life.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

There are only a few people who post using their real name. Out of the 'Hardcore' posters I think everyone knows them personally.

I cert have no probs in being identified.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robd
    I would have thought that mirrored balls would be the ideal accessory for the man with a vain lady in his life.
    but if she was checking out her hair she'd need to be upside down.....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    signature...... .
    so if you dont want any trouble........does that mean you dont wanna dance with me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    That's because whenever someone comes on anonymously, it becomes a mission to the rest of us to reveal their identity!
    Rubbish

It's only when someone says something "authoritative" (eg. "All Ceroc Teachers are rubbish" or whatever) - then people, not unreasonably, ask for something to back this opinion up.

Thread Information