View Poll Results: What are your 'usual' meal times?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 meal a day

3 5.00%
  • 2 meals a day

5 8.33%
  • 3 meals a day

24 40.00%
  • 4 meals a day

1 1.67%
  • 5 meals a day

4 6.67%
  • 6 meals a day

3 5.00%
  • more than 6

2 3.33%
  • I eat when I'm hungry

21 35.00%
  • I eat when I remember

11 18.33%
  • I eat when I get time

7 11.67%
  • I pick all day long

6 10.00%
  • No two days are ever the same

14 23.33%
  • I'm always on a diet

5 8.33%
  • I'm a yo-yo dieter

6 10.00%
  • I'm a health freak

8 13.33%
  • I'm a binge eater

4 6.67%
  • I don't know the first thing about healthy eating

5 8.33%
  • I try all the latest fads

1 1.67%
  • I'm on a special diet, prescribed by my doctor/dietician

2 3.33%
  • My diet is one to be ashamed of

9 15.00%
  • I'm gonna start my diet tomorrow.....

7 11.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Eating plans..

Re: Eating plans..

Quote Originally Posted by ALexyMiss View Post
    c) It also says that eating fruit is good, BUT that you should always try to eat fruit on a relatively empty stomach. Otherwise, it says, the fruit will sit on top of the other food in your stomach and turn to alcohol.

I'm sorry.....have I read this right - Fruit turns to alcohol if mixed with other food!!

*Goes out to stock up on fruit baskets to get drunk tonight*

I don't think that I would believe everything that you read in that book of yours Alex as fruit itself DOES NOT turn into alcohol if mixed with other foods, fruit will break down into fructose whether on an empty stomach or not.

There has been a lot of research regarding combining different food groups but there has been no conclusive evidence that suggests that seperating carbs / protein / fats in a diet is better for you then just eating a mixture.

Drinking fluids is better between meals as drinking water will make you feel full without food and dilute the meal (It is a good method for slimming though).

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post

Drinking fluids is better between meals as drinking water will make you feel full with food and dilute the meal (It is a good method for slimming though).
    Sorry That is what it is meant to say. Apologies for confusion.

*goes to bury head in sand now*

Blog Entries

Drinking fluids is better between meals as drinking water will make you feel full with food and dilute the meal (It is a good method for slimming though).
    Sorry That is what it is meant to say. Apologies for confusion.

*goes to bury head in sand now*
    I've never heard that one before
    I think I'd stick with the glasses of water if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post

The advise was to eat 6 times a day, the biggest meal being lunch and no carbs after 4pm..
    I think the advice to eat small meals 6 times a day is spot on as it keeps the stomach small.

Large meals stretch the stomach and the bigger it gets the more food needs to be put into the stomach for it to feel full.

Then obviously the surplus of food not needed is stored as fat.

I had a lovely small stomach I worked hard for, but it's amazing how fast you can lose if you are not careful.

This is by having meals a bit larger and then a bit larger, then a bit larger, until you feel the need to have a huge plate full of grub, then seconds before your appetite is assurged.

I'd be interested to know if Woodface, Caz and Jamie have huge dinners in one sitting, or are just grazing on small portions of pizza and sweets.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

9. Now this is the 'good' bit... once a week, have one meal where you eat exactly what you want, including dessert. The theory being, If you keep rigidly to a strict diet, your body gets used to it and adjusts reserving all its energy (energy = calories) because it 'thinks' we're experiencing a famine This way we trick it out of this. I like this theory!
    Well, I've tested this theory to the extreme this weekend

I know I 'shouldn't' feel guilty but for some reason it just doesn't seem right, and I feel like I let myself down

anyway, I've just been for a walk and it started raining, to I RAN home (pant pant) and i'm off to the gym now, to kill myself for the next hour and a half... maybe I won't feel so guilty after that!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I'll let you know what happens next Friday at my humiliation class...I mean...weight watchers meeting.
    How did you get on last Friday?

And everyone who's trying?
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

I also put the 'eat what you want for a day' to the test on Saturday - it felt great, I just hope it doesn't ruin the 3lbs I lost in the week before that...

Blog Entries

I also put the 'eat what you want for a day' to the test on Saturday -
    It was actually eat exactly what you want for 1 meal (meaning one sitting) but hey ho.. who's counting?

How did you get on last Friday?
    Thanks for asking.

I lost half a pound this week so I have lost weight every week, albeit, slowly.

To speed things up a bit I am going for my fool proof plan of the weight watchers no point soup.

If you want to lose weight, eat this every lunch time for a week and watch the weight fall off.

Half pint of vegetable stock
    1 tin tomatoes
    1 courgette - cut in to cubes
    1 carrot - sliced
    2 onions - chopped
    Seasoning

Put it all in a saucepan, boil and simmer for 20 mins. Give it a blits with a hand blender and eat as much as you like until you fill full.

You will be farting like its going out of fashion but I hope, as it always does, I will lose a couple of pounds by Friday.

I'll let you know.

Blog Entries

Thanks for asking.

To speed things up a bit I am going for my fool proof plan of the weight watchers no point soup.

If you want to lose weight, eat this every lunch time for a week and watch the weight fall off.

Half pint of vegetable stock
    1 tin tomatoes
    1 courgette - cut in to cubes
    1 carrot - sliced
    2 onions - chopped
    Seasoning

Put it all in a saucepan, boil and simmer for 20 mins. Give it a blits with a hand blender and eat as much as you like until you fill full.

You will be farting like its going out of fashion but I hope, as it always does, I will lose a couple of pounds by Friday.

I'll let you know.
    and it tastes lovely too.

especially when you dunk your pork pies and double-choc cookies in it.

My kids started their 6 weeks school holidays yesterday so I didn't get weighed this morning. The last time I took the kids to fat club with me, one of the little angels said "Mum, that woman looks like Bubbles Devere".

I weighed on my scales though and they say I have stayed the same this week. I really need to go to the meeting to keep the momentum going so Gav has offered to look after the kids for an hour next Friday, while I get weighed.

I'll keep you posted.

BTW, Lory

Well done DT and to everyone else out there
    Taking the advise from some on this thread that dancing isn't exercise, I've been going to the gym and building up my stamina albeit slow but surely, I went to a class this morning and will be dancing tonight. Did some squats this morning and abs workout , I can feel the muscles crying in my legs but hopefully it will be worth it in the long term

Blog Entries

Dancing isn't exercise?
    Depends what level you're at.
    When I first started, I lost weight, improved fitness and strengthened my back (which has been knackered since 1995) to the best it'd been in 10 years.
    The thing is, that like most exercise, if you want to keep improving you have to keep upping the pace and working harder and for most of us, we just don't have the time to do that. That's when dancing becomes something that helps to maintain your fitness level and weight, but no longer improves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    I'm floating around the 14st 10lb mark.

I really want to get back down to 13st if I can.
    Through not really changing my diet much (Less chocolate for one thing) and my legs easing up a bit so I can walk a little longer/faster/more often I seem to be down to 14st 5 this morning !! It's not a dramatic loss.. but I haven't really noticed a drastic change to my lifestyle .. whereas if I'd been on a fad diet on cabbage soup or something then I'd be more liable to binge again later and pile it all back on.

I've been swimming a little.. but that's not going to affect my weight just yet.. I've been twice in the last week and a bit. Although I am planning on trying to swim between 2 and 3 times a week if I can.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Dancing isn't exercise?
    Depends what level you're at.
    When I first started, I lost weight, improved fitness and strengthened my back (which has been knackered since 1995) to the best it'd been in 10 years.

When I first started Ceroc, I used to get out of breath after just one dance and looked on in disbelief and admiration of those who carried on for track after track but I think its like swimming, once you get good at it, you relax and it becomes nothing, hardly any effort at all.

A really good swimmer could do 30 lengths easily, their technique and breathing make it easy for them to glide through the water, whereas, a bad swimmer will probably get more aerobic exercise doing just two.

My trainer has told me about F.I.T.T *...

In order to improve ones fitness level, every six weeks you have to change one of the following elements..

*F = Frequency
    I = Intensity
    T - Time
    T = Type

After six weeks of doing the same thing each week, your body adjusts to it and from then on, your only on an 'maintenance' plan... which is great if you've already reached the fitness level or body shape you require but until then, you have to keep upping the anti.

I think i've personally reached a bit of a plateau at the moment and I'm finding it difficult to step up another level, as i've developed a problem with one of my knees! I'm genuinely scared to push myself any harder, as i'm at the stage were I think I might do more damage than good.

Yesterday, we had a 'cover' teacher, who took us for the body conditioning class (exercise using smallish weights) but for most of the lesson we were required to use a 'step' and he focussed on our legs. I can honestly say, I had a full blown argument with myself the whole time.. part of me kept saying, STOP THIS your hurting yourself and doing more damage than good and the other half kept saying, get on with it, NO PAIN, NO GAIN! I have to admit, i'm frustrated at the moment, as I'm not one to do things half-heartedly!
    Last edited by Lory; 25th-July-2007 at 02:12 PM.

I have to admit, i'm frustrated at the moment, as I'm not one to do things half-heartedly!
    Keep at it Lory Your willpower is certainly inspirational to me and you can definately see your hard work paying off!

I agree with what you said about getting used to a certain activity makes it become less aerobic. I find even doing diferent types of dance have that effect.

maybe you could try doing something a bit wacky for a change - every tried roller-blading? Or trampolining? (I used to do these a lot when I was younger)

Anyway, keep going girl!

maybe you could try doing something a bit wacky for a change - every tried roller-blading? Or trampolining? (I used to do these a lot when I was younger)

Anyway, keep going girl!

there is quite a few of us Roller blading at Derby Jive Attiction each time we go, think there was about 12 playing tag at the end of the night not me i'm far to sensible for that

I was with BoardridRider last night you should have seen him boarding down the road at the end of the evening

Blog Entries

Keep at it Lory Your willpower is certainly inspirational to me and you can definately see your hard work paying off!
    Thanks for the encouragement

I'm glad to report, i've had a couple of good days yesterday and today I can't actually believe it but I was awake at 6am this morning, saw the sun was shining and decided to have a quick belt round the block (what's happening to me? )

I'd love to, I used to go everywhere on my skates (Jacko's for anyone old enough to remember them? ) but somehow i just can't see me getting away with it at my age, especially round where I live ... as for trampolining, I was in the school team but I was minus a couple of extra 'lumps' back then.. I think i'd give myself two black eyes if I tried now!

Anyway Alex, I might add, you look pretty damn hot already hun!

Hey Lory,

Great effort, keep it up...

However , if you persist with exercise on an injured joint or muscle you are courting major problems. All you will do is make the problem worse. If you work out on an injury your body will compensate somehow. Normally muscularly. Muscular compensation causes muscular imbalance which can then lead onto musculoskeletal problems.

If you have muscle or joint problem I'd suggest going to see a sports massage therapist rather than a physio. The reason for this is because the sports massage therapist will have come from a sporting background and be able to give excellent post care advice in regards to exercise prescription. It'll be a little uncomfortable because they will find muscular problems in areas you once thought were fine...they'll apply some corrective massage techniques and then probably charge you about 30 quid for half hour. It sounds a but much but they are well worth it.

Keep up the good work and let us all know how you get on.

JB.

When I first started Ceroc, I used to get out of breath after just one dance and looked on in disbelief and admiration of those who carried on for track after track but I think its like swimming, once you get good at it, you relax and it becomes nothing, hardly any effort at all.

In order to improve ones fitness level, every six weeks you have to change one of the following elements..

*F = Frequency
    I = Intensity
    T - Time
    T = Type

After six weeks of doing the same thing each week, your body adjusts to it and from then on, your only on an 'maintenance' plan... which is great if you've already reached the fitness level or body shape you require but until then, you have to keep upping the anti.
    That explains why I can't drop that stone and a half I dropped when I took up ceroc, and put back on again when I was injured for 6 weeks and then had to take it easy.

I think i've personally reached a bit of a plateau at the moment and I'm finding it difficult to step up another level, as i've developed a problem with one of my knees! I'm genuinely scared to push myself any harder, as i'm at the stage were I think I might do more damage than good.

i'm frustrated at the moment, as I'm not one to do things half-heartedly!
    I gave up smoking, so now have the stamina BUT my body protests. At the mo. it's my back, which has been problem free for ages.

It really is extremely frustrating, I agree.

Margot Fontyn was still performing as a lead with Rudolf nuryev when she was 45 years old, so I don't think age is a big factor.

Thread Information