View Poll Results: What are your 'usual' meal times?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 meal a day

3 5.00%
  • 2 meals a day

5 8.33%
  • 3 meals a day

24 40.00%
  • 4 meals a day

1 1.67%
  • 5 meals a day

4 6.67%
  • 6 meals a day

3 5.00%
  • more than 6

2 3.33%
  • I eat when I'm hungry

21 35.00%
  • I eat when I remember

11 18.33%
  • I eat when I get time

7 11.67%
  • I pick all day long

6 10.00%
  • No two days are ever the same

14 23.33%
  • I'm always on a diet

5 8.33%
  • I'm a yo-yo dieter

6 10.00%
  • I'm a health freak

8 13.33%
  • I'm a binge eater

4 6.67%
  • I don't know the first thing about healthy eating

5 8.33%
  • I try all the latest fads

1 1.67%
  • I'm on a special diet, prescribed by my doctor/dietician

2 3.33%
  • My diet is one to be ashamed of

9 15.00%
  • I'm gonna start my diet tomorrow.....

7 11.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating plans..

Re: Eating plans..

Try doing Pistols...your legs will ache for a month afterwards

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    Have you ever done plank sideways - supported by one arm only with the other reaching to the ceiling?
    Yes, (if its what i'm thinking of) I can hardly get my bum/hip off the floor

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsichorea View Post
    Try doing Pistols...your legs will ache for a month afterwards
    I don't recognise the name, I'll ask at the gym, next time... or am I just asking for trouble?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    These are random things i've been told by my trainer over the past few weeks (and I'm really starting to believe in them)

2. Concentrate on working a different group of muscles each time you train, upper body, one day, lower body the next.

3. The size of weight should be adjusted so you reach the 'burn' at between 10-12 reps, as soon as you can do 12, add some weight and work up to 10-12 again (just when you think its getting easier, they move the goal posts )

4. Aching muscles are apparently good . I must be 'good' nearly everyday at the moment
    2. Has always worked for me - I do either a shoulder, chest, arm, leg or back workout when I do a gym session. If you are looking to build muscles, to my best knowledge, this is what you should be doing rather than working out your whole body.

3. If you're looking to build muscle quickly (mainly a male thing!) then go for as heavy as you can to 5-6 reps rather than 12.

4. No pain no gain! From what I've heard, the pain is rebuilding of muscle tissue that you essentially 'tear' when training (which builds larger muscles). I tend to get the most pain and tenderness 2 days after a heavy workout.

I am also one of those people that has put on weight rather than lost it by going to the gym. Since 2002 I have gone from 8 1/2 stone (on a good day, probably nearer 8 1/4) to 10 stone now (just over 60kg), which is much more healthy for my size. I gave up drinking alcohol at the same time as starting at the gym and must admit I don't regret it one bit - I feel much better!

Yes, (if its what i'm thinking of) I can hardly get my bum/hip off the floor

I don't recognise the name, I'll ask at the gym, next time... or am I just asking for trouble?
    Muhahaha!

It's basically a one-legged squat, very good for developing core stability and leg strength:

The bloke in the video isn't me btw...

Blog Entries

Muhahaha!

It's basically a one-legged squat, very good for developing core stability and leg strength:

The bloke in the video isn't me btw...
    Ooooo, I can do those (no really!).
    There was a cocky civilian gym instructor in the Army on one of my courses who explained that very few people can even manage one. 90% of the class did it with ease .
    He might have been proved right if he'd tried it on the lazy, fat fekkers at the workshops where I was based.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTomato View Post
    I tend to get the most pain and tenderness 2 days after a heavy workout.
    Me too!

Muhahaha!

Yeah right! You've got to be kidding I'm no where near that, I've only just started using a body bar, with my regular squats And I ache like hell for two days after.. (walking 'downstairs' and getting from standing to a seated position is the worst)
    We do a whole combination though, ranging from straight 'up - down' to pulsing whilst low, for 24counts... The Killer!
    Last edited by Lory; 6th-July-2007 at 02:51 PM.
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Ooooo, I can do those (no really!).
    There was a cocky civilian gym instructor in the Army on one of my courses who explained that very few people can even manage one. 90% of the class did it with ease .
    He might have been proved right if he'd tried it on the lazy, fat fekkers at the workshops where I was based.
    It's a good one to do in the gym when the meat-heads at the squat rack are watching. Especially when you see them sneakily giving it a go (and usually failing) when they think you aren't looking

Ditto with the one-arm pushup or even better The One-Arm Pullup. I've only ever seen one guy do the latter, and he was a climber.

Blog Entries

It's a good one to do in the gym when the meat-heads at the squat rack are watching. Especially when you see them sneakily giving it a go (and usually failing) when they think you aren't looking
    Especially when you're a not especially big-built, got a bit of a belly bloke like me

Ditto with the one-arm pushup or even better The One-Arm Pullup. I've only ever seen one guy do the latter, and he was a climber.
    1 arm push-ups I can manage, but not the pullups. I knew a guy whose party trick was to do a 1 armed pullup (hand over not under the bar) until his elbow was 90 degrees, then drink a pint with the other hand! He was also a climber, all veins and bones, but incredibly strong.
    Last edited by Gav; 6th-July-2007 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Especially when you're a not especially big, got a bit of a belly bloke like me

1 arm push-ups I can manage, but not the pullups. I knew a guy whose party trick was to do a 1 armed pullup (hand over not under the bar) until his elbow was 90 degrees, then drink a pint with the other hand! He was also a climber, all veins and bones, but incredibly strong.
    I think you definitely have to be a wiry climber type to do the one-arm pullup...it's a hell of achievement to able to sup on a pint at the same time! There's a good site with tips and advice on doing it (and other bodyweight exercises): Beast Skills - Tutorials for Bodyweight Feats
    Last edited by Lory; 6th-July-2007 at 03:14 PM. Reason: sorting quotes

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    Good luck
    Thanks. I lost another pound at my weigh in this week. and had a proper assessment done. I need to lose another 21 pounds to get back to my original goal weight (BMI 25). It'll probably take me til at least Christmas to do it, but I will get there.

I'll let you know what happens next Friday at my humiliation class...I mean...weight watchers meeting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I lost another pound at my weigh in this week.
    Well done!

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

Well Done DT!!!!

have a not a because beer's fattening!!!

You used to sneer at us??
    Oops sorry. What I mean is that keeping weight down is a whole different ball game when you don't smoke, as I've discovered to my chargrin.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post

Another key fact is, if you are over 30 (go on be honest, youre not really 21 Again) Resistence exercise is the best hope to keep your metabolism
    high....
    It's true, after 30 or so measures must be taken.
    Why go through the agony of cutting out all of the nice things that you can eat. With proper regular exercise (NO NOT DANCING!! )
    I have started doing the classes again in desperation.
    and a balanced diet and the problem is solved.

And no, contrary to popular belief I dont spend all day in the gym, I have a proper job where I sit on my ar$e all day and read this forum
    I thought you did a lot of skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post
    Exercise is the key here, if you feel that dancing is exercise then honestly you are not doing enough REAL exercise

Another key fact is, if you are over 30 (go on be honest, youre not really 21 Again) Resistence exercise is the best hope to keep your metabolism
    high.... Why go through the agony of cutting out all of the nice things that you can eat. With proper regular exercise (NO NOT DANCING!! ) and a balanced diet and the problem is solved.
    It you say that dancing isn't real exercise - you ain't doing it right!

So i've discovered recently

These are random things i've been told by my trainer over the past few weeks (and I'm really starting to believe in them)

1. Exercise 'before' breakfast (anything to elevate your heart rate)

2. Concentrate on working a different group of muscles each time you train, upper body, one day, lower body the next.

3. The size of weight should be adjusted so you reach the 'burn' at between 10-12 reps, as soon as you can do 12, add some weight and work up to 10-12 again (just when you think its getting easier, they move the goal posts )

4. Aching muscles are apparently good . I must be 'good' nearly everyday at the moment

5. lean muscle burns calories much faster than fat burns calories, even when resting, so if your 11stone of muscle, you'll be able to eat much more than someone that's 11stone of fat, before you put weight on

6. eating small but regular meals, keeps your blood sugar even , so you don't get 'high' and 'low' energy fluctuations

7. The healthier you are, the quicker you start to sweat and not the other way around (which is a pain in the bum AFAIC )

8. Drink copious amounts of water and always drink a large glass 'before' you eat

9. Now this is the 'good' bit... once a week, have one meal where you eat exactly what you want, including dessert. The theory being, If you keep rigidly to a strict diet, your body gets used to it and adjusts reserving all its energy (energy = calories) because it 'thinks' we're experiencing a famine This way we trick it out of this. I like this theory!

10. And lastly... my own observation ... the 'plank' is evil! Those of you who know what it is, will surely agree?
    Hey Lory,

Good luck with the dietary and exercise regime. You've made steps in the right direction but I'd like to add my two-penneth (As a qualified personal trainer and sports massage therapist)

1. Exercising before breakfast. Agree. Not only will it kick start your metabolism early-doors but it wakes you up for the start of the day (same thing really). Make sure you eat after training though.

2. Training different areas of the body on different days is acceptable depending on your goals. It's actually called a spilt-routine and is often more associated with weight lifters and muscle builders. So, tell your trainer exactly what you want...in detail. Saying "get fit and tone up" pretty much means nothing unless you explicity clarify what you mean, as in "lose 3lb's by the end of the month". Not only is this specific but it has a time frame and more importantly is a realistic target.

3. Agree with the 'burn' scenario, however, question your rep-range. A 10-12 rep-range is a beginner level Hypertrophy rep-range (as in body building!) If this is your ultimate goal, then great...if it isn't and you are after muscular endurance type training, which most people associate with 'toning' then 12-20 reps is more appropriate.

4. Agree-ish. Aching muscles are good from the perspective that they give the trainee a feeling of having worked hard, but they aren't really something that would suggest you have worked hard in every session. I mean, if you don't ache, it doesn't mean that you've not achieved overload and adaption to your training stimulus. Although DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) does occur quite often, it's been researched as occuring more-often with eccentric loading of the muscles. That basically means slowly-lowering your weights, or sometimes referred to as the negative phase of a repetition.

5. Lean muscle burns more calories...I'll go with this one.

6. Nutrition. The biggy. Diets are rubbish! Any diet, pick whichever one you like...they are all rubbish. The first 3 letters of the word spells DIE..so how good do you think that will be. 'Balanced diet' suggests even quantities of carb's, fat's, proteins, vitamins, minerals and water...not going to happen. Nearly all diets utilise a calorie controlled theory. Controlling calories and reducing daily intake too much results in something called the Starvation Response...which ultimately leads to weight gain! The general trend in the uk is for a high carb diet...places like France have a higher fat diet...who has the highest incedence of coronary heart disease, us or the french? Answer...us! Is a high carb diet any good for you? Well that depends on your make up, however, one thing is for sure, any time you eat carbs your pancreas is having to work hard at sustaining blood sugar levels. Eat carbs and prepare for the mid afternoon slump of energy! Now, I'm not sugesting you cut them out altogether, just maybe reduce them and give your body a chance. Another one for you, why don't people eat more saturated fat...that will have a far better effect of stabilising blood sugar. (waits for the barrage of high cholesterol, heart disease and weight gain abuse ). Oh yeah, the Chinese have the lowest risk of CHD...and an extremely long life expectancy...yet they cook most foods in saturated animal fat? So who's telling the truth?

7. Not convinced on this one. it does seem to work this way quite often but I've yet to be told a good reason as to why. However, the more you exercise, in terms of intensity and frequency...the more the body relies on fat metabolism for energy!

8. Water is good...obviously. About 2ltrs per day is adequate, with another ltr per hour of hard exercise. Sports hydration drinks - rubbish. They turn the body acidic which leaches calcium out of bones to redress the acid-alkali balance. Don't bother with powerade, lucozade or any other ade, water is the daddy. If you want flavour add a pinch of salt and squeeze some fresh lemon or orange juice into it. hey presto an isotonic sports drink.

9. Like this idea. Have a fit & food day off. Great for the overall effect and psychological feeling of being a bit naughty and rewarding yourself with something you may actually want to eat! Healthy lifestyles require this sort of thing.

10. Agree. The plank is trully a disgusting exercise and will give you DOMS for days if done properly (it is probably one of the best though). Try a side plank or a swiss ball plank with rotation. The last one see's me off every time I do it. Your PT should be able to tell you what that exercise is.

And lastly, apologies first for making this such an epic, Gadget-like response, but I am trully passionate about all things health and fitness oriented and that's why it's my job. ANy more questions feel free to give me a shout.

Good luck Lory.

JB x

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Thanks. I lost another pound at my weigh in this week. and had a proper assessment done. I need to lose another 21 pounds to get back to my original goal weight (BMI 25). It'll probably take me til at least Christmas to do it, but I will get there.

I'll let you know what happens next Friday at my humiliation class...I mean...weight watchers meeting.
    Well done on the weight loss DT.

Beware of BMI. Body Mass Index is just a new term for height-weight charts. These are antiquated and false. They suggest that everyone has a 'correct' weight to their height. They don't take into consideration however, an individuals make-up (known as somatotype). i.e. ectomorph -slim build and finds difficult to put on weight, mesomorph - of athletic build, with broad shoulders and narrow waist and mesomorph - rounded shape who carries weight but also a lot of muscle too!

The best measure of weight is how you feel in your clothes. Sometimes a before, during and after photo do far more good than BMI and a set of scales...in fact...bin the scales, they're not good.

JB x

p.s. I'm a shorty and so with BMI I should be light weight (only 5' 6"). I actually weigh 12 stone...that puts me in the special attention category! HAHAHAHAHAHHA. I also happen to know my body fat measurement. It's 13%...that puts me in the athletic range for body fat!

BMI........Poo!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jive Brummie View Post
    Good luck Lory.
    Thankyou!

Beware of BMI. Body Mass Index is just a new term for height-weight charts. These are antiquated and false. They suggest that everyone has a 'correct' weight to their height.
    I did a 'free online BMI test' the other day, where they ask you fill in your height and weight.. when I pressed enter.. I got a massive flashing WARNING sign come up, saying your in the Danger zone, seek attention immediately!

They don't take into consideration however, an individuals make-up (known as somatotype). i.e. ectomorph -slim build and finds difficult to put on weight, mesomorph - of athletic build, with broad shoulders and narrow waist and mesomorph - rounded shape who carries weight but also a lot of muscle too!
    Thanks, I just looked this up and found some interest stuff HERE

The best measure of weight is how you feel in your clothes. Sometimes a before, during and after photo do far more good than BMI and a set of scales...in fact...bin the scales, they're not good.
    I totally agree! I get so disheartened with the scales When I started on this fitness regime, I swore I wasn't going to weight myself at all but few people have noticed the difference and asked how much i've lost, so I eventually succumbed last week.... and annoyingly, I've not really lost much weight at all But then again, all my clothes are looser and I 'feel' slimmer.. I think its just more compact now

BMI........Poo!
    It gives me an idea of what I should be, but I don't live by my BMI. In fact, I know what I look like at my BMI 25 and I think if I went below that It wouldn't suit me. I've always been curvy, even when I was an 18 year old, fitness fanatic, 8 stone goddess (though I say so myself)

I've never really been bothered about my weight from a physical aspect, but as I get older I have become more aware of the benefits of losing weight for my health. My Dr has advised me to lose a bit of weight as my blood pressure is high at the moment, so I'm really doing it for that reason.

I think it is so sad when women (sometimes men) want to lose weight for the wrong reasons, such as, for their partner, or because they have low self esteem.

By the way Jive Brummie. Feel free to give me a virtual bitch slap if I fall off the wagon. I'll be clocking in on Friday with my weekly weight loss.

Spooky! I chucked my scales out an hour ago. They kept giving strange weights - old type design.

I totally agree! I get so disheartened with the scales When I started on this fitness regime, I swore I wasn't going to weight myself at all but few people have noticed the difference and asked how much i've lost, so I eventually succumbed last week.... and annoyingly, I've not really lost much weight at all But then again, all my clothes are looser and I 'feel' slimmer.. I think its just more compact now
    the Tale of the Tape is the real McCoy.

(just when you think it's getting easier, they move the goalposts. )
    That's just how I feel at dancing!

Hey Lory,

Good luck with the dietary and exercise regime. You've made steps in the right direction but I'd like to add my two-penneth (As a qualified personal trainer and sports massage therapist)

6. Nutrition. The biggy. Diets are rubbish! Any diet, pick whichever one you like...they are all rubbish. The first 3 letters of the word spells DIE..so how good do you think that will be. 'Balanced diet' suggests even quantities of carb's, fat's, proteins, vitamins, minerals and water...not going to happen. Nearly all diets utilise a calorie controlled theory. Controlling calories and reducing daily intake too much results in something called the Starvation Response...which ultimately leads to weight gain! The general trend in the uk is for a high carb diet...places like France have a higher fat diet...who has the highest incedence of coronary heart disease, us or the french? Answer...us! Is a high carb diet any good for you? Well that depends on your make up, however, one thing is for sure, any time you eat carbs your pancreas is having to work hard at sustaining blood sugar levels. Eat carbs and prepare for the mid afternoon slump of energy! Now, I'm not sugesting you cut them out altogether, just maybe reduce them and give your body a chance. Another one for you, why don't people eat more saturated fat...that will have a far better effect of stabilising blood sugar. (waits for the barrage of high cholesterol, heart disease and weight gain abuse ). Oh yeah, the Chinese have the lowest risk of CHD...and an extremely long life expectancy...yet they cook most foods in saturated animal fat? So who's telling the truth?
    I'd touch this advice with a metaphorical large dose of salt. Please be aware that the above text is opposite to current World Health Guidelines (WHO) who recommend a diet low in saturated fat. Can I suggest talking to your General Practioner or Practice Nurse about what they might suggest a well balanced diet might be for you?
    WHO | WHO/FAO release independent Expert Report on diet and chronic disease

8. Water is good...obviously. About 2ltrs per day is adequate, with another ltr per hour of hard exercise. Sports hydration drinks - rubbish. They turn the body acidic which leaches calcium out of bones to redress the acid-alkali balance. Don't bother with powerade, lucozade or any other ade, water is the daddy. If you want flavour add a pinch of salt and squeeze some fresh lemon or orange juice into it. hey presto an isotonic sports drink.
    Sorry; I don't understand this. Please could you explain how sports hydration drinks "turn the body acidic". I'm interested in the reasoning behind this; I can understand that drinking lots of water (tapwater is fine) is good, but don't understand what is so bad about sports hydration drinks, apart from the damage that sweet drinks do to your teeth.

Why do all the Tour de France cyclists drinks sports drinks rather than water?

Good luck Lory.

JB x

Thread Information