Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Puffers defy day one of smoking ban

Blog Entries

Re: Puffers defy day one of smoking ban

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    How much would you save if you gave up booze , oh i forget you enjoy that so its different

Ive never read so tosh from everyone over this subject

who wants to go to A&E midnight any town centre , what we going to see the effects of drink or smoking

ps im for the smoking ban and not anti drinking but please some measure of reality
    i think Stewart, you might want to get a measure of reality. Read up on all papers involving the after effects of smoking, the effects of passive smoking and then show us the ability to get a measure of reality. Its an offensive, digusting, killing habit that should be stamped out completely. I for one understand this more than non smokers because i myself struggle even now to stop. I BLAME THE INDUSTRY FOR MY ADDICTION. I ALSO BLAME THE GOVERNMENT FOR NOT DOING SOMETHING ABOUT THIS EARLIER. And i stil think they do not do enough to stamp this pointless digusting habit out of our lives for good. so dont tell me to get a measure of reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    i think Stewart, you might want to get a measure of reality. Read up on all papers involving the after effects of smoking, the effects of passive smoking and then show us the ability to get a measure of reality. Its an offensive, digusting, killing habit that should be stamped out completely. I for one understand this more than non smokers because i myself struggle even now to stop. I BLAME THE INDUSTRY FOR MY ADDICTION. I ALSO BLAME THE GOVERNMENT FOR NOT DOING SOMETHING ABOUT THIS EARLIER. And i stil think they do not do enough to stamp this pointless digusting habit out of our lives for good. so dont tell me to get a measure of reality.
    so is driving a car, so is drinking , so is eating chocolate, or drinking coffee

I saw no 'reason debate' within the thread which was kind of sad

Ive never smoked (for more then 2 weeks on 18-30 type holidays) and am for the band in enclosed places but the rest of it pleaseeeeeeeeeee

Id have a smoker on a park bench before a wino shout abuse anyday

give the smoker a break

Blog Entries

so is driving a car, so is drinking , so is eating chocolate, or drinking coffee

I saw no 'reason debate' within the thread which was kind of sad

Ive never smoked (for more then 2 weeks on 18-30 type holidays) and am for the band in enclosed places but the rest of it pleaseeeeeeeeeee

Id have a smoker on a park bench before a wino shout abuse anyday

give the smoker a break
    your talking about one extreme against a normal person.

To have an abusive alocaholic next to you in one thing but to have a smoker next to you is quite another. smokers are found in normal every day society, living and breathing with us and eating with us and mixing with us. I would say, normal people.

Alcoholic wino's you can avoid. you can not sit on that park bench. smokers you can not. They are there, smoking, in our normal every day society.... thats it, thats the difference. As for giving them a break. Society has given them a break, they have chosen not to ban it completely. YET.

who wants to go to A&E midnight any town centre , what we going to see the effects of drink or smoking
    Who wants to go to the cancer wards, the cardiac wards and pneumo-thoracic wards in the hospital - guess what we see there?

The fact remains that cigarettes hurt you and others around you if you merely use them as they are supposed to be used. Alcohol only causes problems for the drinker and others around them if it is abused. That's why it's called "alcohol abuse"; you never hear or see the phrase 'tobacco abuse'.

An Eclectic Toaster

Only looking at the A&E department is being a bit selective. The vast majority of bodies which end up on a cardiovascular operating table are those of smokers. And let's not even begin on the lungs.

Even in areas not apparently related, I bet the frequency of smokers being hospitalised is higher. During my one sizeable stay on a hospital ward, 3 of the 4 other patients in the room were smokers. And that was opthalmology. I always remember one of them was in to get his eyelids "tightened": he'd been such a heavy smoker over the years, his lower eyelids had lost the ability to close properly

To have an abusive alocaholic next to you in one thing but to have a smoker next to you is quite another. smokers are found in normal every day society, living and breathing with us and eating with us and mixing with us. I would say, normal people.
    Treat them as normal people then

I've made my point

Blog Entries

Treat them as normal people then

I've made my point
    "so not the point"......im afraid is the only point you have made baby.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

How much would you save if you gave up booze , oh i forget you enjoy that so its different
    As Trouble says, cigarettes are addictive and have no redeeming features whatsoever. In moderation - alcohol is as dangerous as coca-cola, milk and "l'eau de la blaireau". The comparison of smoking and drinking is only valid in the fevered minds of badger spankers.

Ive never read so tosh from everyone over this subject
    Me no thinkee tosh, me thinkum it right good.

Ummm - isn't moderate quantities of high cocoa solids chocolate supposed to be good for you - something about some antioxidant qualities. What antioxidant qualities does tobacco smoke have?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    As Trouble says, cigarettes are addictive and have no redeeming features whatsoever. In moderation - alcohol is as dangerous as coca-cola, milk and "l'eau de la blaireau". The comparison of smoking and drinking is only valid in the fevered minds of badger spankers.
    although should I be asking what a badger spanker is, or is this conversation about to be sent upstairs (I've just looked on urbandictionary.com and it isn't listed yet).

Personally I think cigarettes, roll-ups, pipes and cigars should all be taken and burnt.. unfortunately that's that the smokers all think too.. just in a series of small self contained and controlled fires

I'm not happy seeing a woman or man with a young child smoking. My Dad smoked when I was young and when I was diagnosed with asthma he considered stopping. When my Little sister was diagnosed with Asthma 5 years later he came in in tears and threw the cigarettes on the back of the fire and never smoked again.

one question beckons though.. "Oi Dad.. didn't you like me or something "

(to be fair my Sister was hospitalised for a LONG time and she was very seriously ill when she was born. I was just "sickly" not "hospitalised" and I grew out of mine (although last night I may have reconsidered that) whereas she didn't)

If people want to smoke they will, if they have sufficient motivation they can stop nearly instantly. But only if they want to. we can't enforce no smoking homes, and we can only hope that education etc makes more people aware of the risks. Ie they may still smoke but with awareness of others and their children.
    Last edited by Beowulf; 10th-July-2007 at 08:45 AM.

Blog Entries

I BLAME THE INDUSTRY FOR MY ADDICTION. I ALSO BLAME THE GOVERNMENT FOR NOT DOING SOMETHING ABOUT THIS EARLIER.
    Not your fault for smoking them then?

Blog Entries

me agreeum with youum.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Not your fault for smoking them then?
    not at all.

People smoke because of peer pressure. They dont think to themselves, oooh, im going to put this cigerette in my mouth, cough my guts up for the next few hours while i force my body to get used to this poison. You have to learn how to smoke (well i did anyway) and it was awful doing it but quite quick. I went home in my lunch hour with one of my "cool" friends who was a smoker and she taught me how to smoke and be cool. Thats it. Job done. I was addicted to smoking form 14 years old and still to this day struggle to stop.

I BLAME THE INDUSTRY AND I BLAME THE GOVERNMENT.

Blog Entries

not at all.

People smoke because of peer pressure. They dont think to themselves, oooh, im going to put this cigerette in my mouth, cough my guts up for the next few hours while i force my body to get used to this poison. You have to learn how to smoke (well i did anyway) and it was awful doing it but quite quick. I went home in my lunch hour with one of my "cool" friends who was a smoker and she taught me how to smoke and be cool. Thats it. Job done. I was addicted to smoking form 14 years old and still to this day struggle to stop.

I BLAME THE INDUSTRY AND I BLAME THE GOVERNMENT.
    Now what's that old line we give to our kids? ...
    "If they told you to stick your head in the oven, would you?"

I'm an ex-smoker and I hold only 1 person responsible. No-one forced me to smoke. I could have said no, but I chose to try it.

It's my fault I smoked, it's my fault that I may have caused damage to other people's health and it was my responsibility to stop killing myself and those around me, so I did.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Now what's that old line we give to our kids? ...
    "If they told you to stick your head in the oven, would you?"

I'm an ex-smoker and I hold only 1 person responsible. No-one forced me to smoke. I could have said no, but I chose to try it.

It's my fault I smoked, it's my fault that I may have caused damage to other people's health and it was my responsibility to stop killing myself and those around me, so I did.
    yes its your fault. its my fault i stuck it in my mouth too. BUT ITS NOT YOUR FAULT OR MY FAULT THAT IT BECOMES ADDICITIVE, THATS WHO MAKES IT AND ALLOWS LEGAL MARKETING OF IT.

there is the difference. Its made that way. They make them to get you hooked so you find it difficult to quit. Thats not my fault anymore than its anybody elses fault.

your not a full time smoker Gav and never have been so its not something you would understand as all non smokers dont. Its so hard to give up, its something that never leaves you and always niggles at the back of your mind at some point or another.

Smoking is something that should be banned full stop let alone a small ban on inside smoking. This is not good enough. The reason Government have not done that is one reason only....MONEY, INCOME....

Blog Entries

yes its your fault. its my fault i stuck it in my mouth too. BUT ITS NOT YOUR FAULT OR MY FAULT THAT IT BECOMES ADDICITIVE, THATS WHO MAKES IT AND ALLOWS LEGAL MARKETING OF IT.
    Isn't advertising and sponsorship banned?

there is the difference. Its made that way. They make them to get you hooked so you find it difficult to quit. Thats not my fault anymore than its anybody elses fault.
    yes, you're quite right. It's up to you to start, but then they keep you hooked with addiction, not unlike hard drugs really.

your not a full time smoker Gav and never have been so its not something you would understand as all non smokers dont.
    That's quite an assumption. You know me better than most on here, but not that well. I smoked for about 9 years and as many as 40 a day for the first 5 years I was in the Army. However, when I was smoking, I NEVER smoked in my house or around my children (or anyone else's either) and always asked if non-smokers were OK with me smoking near them.

Its so hard to give up, its something that never leaves you and always niggles at the back of your mind at some point or another.
    I tried half-heartedly to give up a few times, using patches and gum etc, but I didn't really want to.
    When I decided I really did want to give up, I woke up, threw half a pack in the bin and I stopped.
    That was 12 years ago and I haven't touched one since. Through the stress of serious injury, kids being seriously ill and injured, war, redundancy and divorce, not once has it crossed my mind to take it up again.

Smoking is something that should be banned full stop let alone a small ban on inside smoking. This is not good enough. The reason Government have not done that is one reason only....MONEY, INCOME....
    Agree wholeheartedly, but 'civil-liberty' groups would never let a government get away with it, and they can't afford to lose votes.

your not a full time smoker Gav and never have been so its not something you would understand as all non smokers dont. Its so hard to give up, its something that never leaves you and always niggles at the back of your mind at some point or another.

So your anti smoking but a smoker who wants to give up and blame the government for your problem

No you need to take control for your own actions

yawn

No cigarettes have no redeeming feature for you .

Might be the only pleasure a little old lady gets her roll ups.

tell the old ladies at bingo their fags had no re deeming feature

my view is yes ban fags in closed spaces but not on park benches

Blog Entries

So your anti smoking but a smoker who wants to give up and blame the government for your problem

No you need to take control for your own actions
    no im a non smoker that occasionally indulges in a smoke. This is a failure on my part absolutely as my willpower is weak. BUT ITS ALSO A FAILURE OF THE GOVERNMENT WHO DO NOTHING TO GET THIS HABIT STOPPED.

im 41 years old and have been smoking on and off since i was 14. This is an extremely difficult habit to break and one that i continue to fight to break to this day.

Banning it completely is the only answer as far as im concerned. This will stop future smokers and the problem will disappear if they are no longer made.

.your not a full time smoker Gav and never have been so its not something you would understand as all non smokers dont. Its so hard to give up, its something that never leaves you and always niggles at the back of your mind at some point or another.
    I promised myself that I won't get drawn into this again, but this is ridiculous - no, it doesn't!!! If you have such an addictive personality, than you would get addicted to anything - alcohol, nicotine, etc, etc, once you've tried and liked it. For some of us it isn't a matter of addiction - it is a matter of choice. I choose to smoke, just as much as I choose to go dancing 3 nights a week. Just as much as I always chose not to smoke where there was food, or inside my house or around my little girl. Considering that I can go on holiday for 2 weeks, and have no "niggles" without a fag, your point SO doesn't apply!
    Rant over - again.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nebula View Post
    If you have such an addictive personality, than you would get addicted to anything - alcohol, nicotine, etc, etc, once you've tried and liked it.
    Ummm, no. Nicotine Addiction is not imaginary, it's real - and some studies have shown that it's as addictive as heroin or cocaine, or more so.

Similarly, alcohol is addictive.

"Personality type" doesn't really come into it, it's a physical dependency.

Quote Originally Posted by nebula View Post
    For some of us it isn't a matter of addiction - it is a matter of choice. I choose to smoke, just as much as I choose to go dancing 3 nights a week.
    Not really equivalent; dancing is not physically addictive. No, really it's not.

Thread Information