Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Puffers defy day one of smoking ban

Blog Entries

Re: Puffers defy day one of smoking ban

Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    I didnt see you?
    I was one of the non smokers sitting comfy at the table enjoying a smoke free lunch with a look of delight and wonderment....

Haven;t had time to read the whole thread, but i am a smoker AND EVEN I AGREE WITH THE BAN!

Well done to all of the ex-smokers that have given up i will try again soon, thinking of going for Hypnotherapy as patches and will power only got me through 8 months last time. In fact i only started again when i was out drinking in a smoky environment so it should be easier this time.

I would heartily recommend that you read the course I was talking about earlier - no need to fork out for patches or therapy. If you need to talk it through - I'll happily relay my experiences.

Cool Re: Puffers defy day one of smoking ban

I've done the course 'Wobbly' is going on about and I stopped straight away and had no side-effects. Am happy to say I'm now a non-smoker

Anyway...I think most of us are in agreement that the new laws on smoking are a positive thing, but I do think the government have forgotten the most important people in our society...children.

I now have a sticker in my company car that says 'No Smoking'. It is illegal for anyone to smoke in my car to protect anyone that might drive it or be a passenger in it. That's great...It saves me from all those awkward conversations I have to have when smokers get in my car.

"Do you mind if I smoke?"

"Yes I fekkin do fekkin mind, you can fekkin wait til we fekkin get there or take the fekkin tube"

The ridiculous thing is it's still perfectly legal for some ignorant stupid parent to smoke in their car with children inside and it's still perfectly legal for parents to smoke at home in an enclosed area, such as a living room, with children present.

I think that is absolutely appalling. It's terrible that children have no choice in these situations and will have their health affected, because the law doesn't protect them. I hope the government will gradually phase smoking out altogether in this country and make it so uncomfortable and socially unacceptable that smokers will eventually get the message and give up the weed altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    The ridiculous thing is it's still perfectly legal for some ignorant stupid parent to smoke in their car with children inside and it's still perfectly legal for parents to smoke at home in an enclosed area, such as a living room, with children present.

I think that is absolutely appalling. It's terrible that children have no choice in these situations and will have their health affected, because the law doesn't protect them. I hope the government will gradually phase smoking out altogether in this country and make it so uncomfortable and socially unacceptable that smokers will eventually get the message and give up the weed altogether.
    One really good thing that I found out when I arrived here in Australia from the UK was that smoking is not permitted in children's playgrounds!! Hopefully this will be the next step in the UK as well. Or does anyone think this is going too far, and is too restrictive?

(HLS-PR-001: Creating Smoke-Free Environments)

I'm not sure of the details of the new UK laws.

In Sydney, it has now become illegal to smoke indoors. Many clubs have spent a fortune creating comfortable outdoors areas, and many commentators have mentioned how many businesses will go broke because of these restrictions.
    I don't know the truth.
    I do know that one of the major reasons I never went out to clubs and pubs was the smoke. Since the first level of restrictions came in (only one room designated for smoking) I have been out to pubs and clubs more often -- and not gone back to the ones that thought a "room" could be defined by a sign say "no smoking beyond this point".

Complaints in Sydney have mainly been about the smokers being forced outside in the middle of winter. They seem to have missed what a favour has been thrown their way. In about 4 months, when the weather warms up, everyone will want to sit outside. Smokers have got essentially exclusive use of outside facilities for 3 months for them to establish their presence, so when the nonsmokers do start thinking it would be good to eat outside they will be invading an established (uncontested for 3 months) smoking area.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

It's terrible that children have no choice in these situations and will have their health affected, because the law doesn't protect them.
    How could it ? The government would have a hard time interfering with a familys private life. If it could get away with banning smoking in the home near children it would have to consider legally enforcing: no junk food, regular exercise, no shouting at children, no teaching them religion until they can decide for themselves etc...basically everything that can physically or mentally harm children

thats hardly going to be popular

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    How could it ? The government would have a hard time interfering with a familys private life. If it could get away with banning smoking in the home near children it would have to consider legally enforcing: no junk food, regular exercise, no shouting at children, no teaching them religion until they can decide for themselves etc...basically everything that can physically or mentally harm children
    No sorry...I don't buy that argument. When children are old enough to make their own decisions about food, religion and exercise, they can change that themselves, but the damage done to their lungs as a child could cause life long problems.

It's a fact that the majority of cot deaths happen in houses where people smoke, not to mention all the other illnesses that are made worse by smokers in the house such as asthma.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

No sorry...I don't buy that argument. When children are old enough to make their own decisions about food, religion and exercise, they can change that themselves, but the damage done to their lungs as a child could cause life long problems.
    Making a decision on food in later life is fine, but they'll already be obese and wont know what good food is -not an easy task. As for parents shouting\swearing, introducing fundamentalist religion, superstition etc..they are just one of many forms of mental torture that stays with someone the rest of their life. (Imagine parents that threaten 'hell' for bad behaviour throught a childs life....its extremes like this sort of thing i'm talking about here)

Making a decision on food in later life is fine, but they'll already be obese
    They wont be obese because their parents made the wrong food choices for them...They MIGHT be obese.

As for smoking...there's no might about it.

Sorry DS, your comparison is pants

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Both of those would have problems legally (there might well be a "rights" argument - in fact, there'd definitely be such an argument), which would probably take 20 years to wind through the British and then European court system before it could be resolved.

Also, tand possibly more importantly, such a law hey'd be impractical to enforce and monitor - what, are you going to install CCTV inside every home? Not to mention the political row it'd create.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Also, tand possibly more importantly, such a law hey'd be impractical to enforce and monitor - what, are you going to install CCTV inside every home? Not to mention the political row it'd create.
    I know it's not practical and there is no way of enforcing it, but i just hope that over the years smoking becomes a dirty secret among a very small minority. With every generation smoking becomes more and more unacceptable. I hope that trend continues.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Sorry DS, your comparison is pants
    No, that would be when your parents force you to wear too tight underwear when you grow up.

No, that would be when your parents force you to wear too tight underwear when you grow up.
    We were too poor to have new tight underpants. I had to wear my sisters hand me downs, with a piece of string around the middle to hold them up.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I know it's not practical and there is no way of enforcing it, but i just hope that over the years smoking becomes a dirty secret among a very small minority. With every generation smoking becomes more and more unacceptable. I hope that trend continues.

Indeed - people actually pay a lot of money to put a burning stick in their mouths and inhale a cocktail of noxious fumes...if this was invented as a new thing tomorrow - how many people would buy it ?

Commercial Operator

We were too poor to have new tight underpants. I had to wear my sisters hand me downs, with a piece of string around the middle to hold them up.
    No change there then.

Greg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman View Post
    No change there then.

Greg
    how come you always lower the tone Greg.

Anyway, I find the law about smoking in company vehicles great ie: not allowed to smoke in them... but i actually think they should ban smoking in cars FULL STOP. As an x smoker who still occassionally dabbles in it very stupidly, i know how dangerous it is to smoke in a car. Not only do the cigerette butts cause a problem as to where you put them but also lighting the cigerette when your driving means you have to look away from the road to do it.

I really do not understand why this law was only put into place for company vehicles. What is the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Marmite View Post
    Haven;t had time to read the whole thread, but i am a smoker AND EVEN I AGREE WITH THE BAN!

Well done to all of the ex-smokers that have given up i will try again soon, thinking of going for Hypnotherapy as patches and will power only got me through 8 months last time. In fact i only started again when i was out drinking in a smoky environment so it should be easier this time.
    Fletch - is that you? Did you change your forum name?

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    smokers say.....
    1. We smoke because of stress. Having a fag eases the stress.

NO IT DOESN'T THE STRESS IS STILL THERE ALL IT DOES IT FEED THE NICOTINE HABIT WHICH MAKES YOUR BODY FEEL BETTER TEMPORARILY.

smokers also say....
    2. We smoke because we enjoy it.

NO YOU DONT ENJOY IT, YOU SMOKE BECAUSE YOUR NICOTINE WITHDRAWEL NEEDS FEEDING AND GIVES YOU THE FEELING OF CALM/ENJOYMENT AS IT SUBSIDES.

smokers will say.....
    3. We just dont have the willpower.
    THE WITHDRAWEL OF NICOTINE IS THE MILDEST OF ALL WITHDRAWELS. THE NEED FOR NICOTINE PASSES AFTER ABOUT 5 MINS IF YOU TRY AND PUT YOUR MIND OFF IT WHEN IT COMES TO YOU. THIS ONLY LASTS FOR THREE DAYS. THEN THE NICOTINE IS OUT OF YOUR BODY. THE REST IS HABIT.

Thats just the basis of the book there is a lot more in it.

But what i did, was try and right down all the plus sides of smoking and all the plus sides of not smoking.

The three biggest plus sides for me were when i was a full time smoker;

1. I am now not a slave to the cigerette. i can leave my house without panicking have i got enough fags, or i wonder if i can smoke there, or i wonder if im going to be able to get out for a fag break, or where is my lighter, or im going to run out in a minute...

2. I am saving in expenditure £40 a week. £2080 a year which will pay for a holiday.

3. I no longer smell and can breath easily and im saving a fortune in chewing gums, perfumes and hand creams. (i have always been aware of smell and would try everything to hide it having a fag for me was a half hour job).

so please dont anybody try saying they like this habit because its completely and utterly untrue and you are kidding yourselves and nobody else. smokers rights.....HAVE JUST BEEN REMOVED.......
    How much would you save if you gave up booze , oh i forget you enjoy that so its different

Ive never read so tosh from everyone over this subject

who wants to go to A&E midnight any town centre , what we going to see the effects of drink or smoking

ps im for the smoking ban and not anti drinking but please some measure of reality

Thread Information