Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Puffers defy day one of smoking ban

Re: Puffers defy day one of smoking ban

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    On the other hand if the pubs are suffering there should be less drinkers or people drinking less each.

So it's not all bad.
    But no one is banning it... yes, all those adverts, but no bans - strangely enough...
    Do you see reports about after people smoke cigarettes and then start throwing up on the streets near the night clubs? Or picking up the fights with each other? No? Why is that, I wonder? Hmmm, probably because it doesn't happen? That's a thought...
    Why don't we talk about the cost of drinking to the police instead of cost of smoking to NHS?

Kill all smokers, dog owners, dogs, anyone with a K in their name, litter bugs, chewing gum spitters, spitters, swearers, hoodies, chavs and everyone in Big Brother...oh...and El Divo.

That should do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Kill all smokers, dog owners, dogs, anyone with a K in their name, litter bugs, chewing gum spitters, spitters, swearers, hoodies, chavs and everyone in Big Brother...oh...and El Divo.

Especially Big Brother...

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by nebula View Post
    What are the advantages of smoking, from the smokers perpective?
    - snip - And finally - if you smoke long cigs, it looks cool .
    Do you really think so?

Personally, if I see a woman with cigarette in hand, I don't take a second look, she might otherwise look gorgeous, but I won't notice.

Greg

anyone with a K in their name
    You are so for it next time I see you - hmm, given the thread, I think it's burning at the stake for you madam!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman View Post
    Do you really think so?

Personally, if I see a woman with cigarette in hand, I don't take a second look, she might otherwise look gorgeous, but I won't notice.

Greg
    Although, amusingly I have one friend who went to great lengths to conceal the fact she was a social smoker from me, til of course I found out. (We're still friends though )

Do you really think so?

Greg
    In a woman - yes, really. In a man - no, I think it looks effiminine. Matter of opinion. Personally, when I see a man with a pint of beer, I get very similar reaction. However, if he is otherwise gorgeous, he certainly warrants a second look!!!

Commercial Operator

Especially Big Brother...

Just noticed... What's with a "K"?...

yeah, and they instead let their dogs foul your front lawn - thanks, I'd rather have cig stubs - at least those you can pick up...
    Letting your dog foul in public places or in other people's gardens is not allowed. And I don't think people let their dogs do their business in your garden because it's not allowed in the park. These are the kind of idiots who don't give a ***** about rules, and wouldn't pick up after their dogs anywhere. Just like idiots who drop litter (which also isn't allowed). Or cigarette stubs. Or break bottles in on the pavement/in parks etc.

Oh, and btw - you can pick up dog poo. I do it every day!

PS - I'd be really angry if people let their dogs foul in my garden, or anywhere else people might step in it. Just like I get really angry when idiots drop cigarette butts on the stairs outside my flat. (Do agree, though - dog poo is more disgusting.)

Do you really think so?

Greg
    Agree. I think it looks horrible, for both men and women. And I would never go out with a smoker. Just the thought of kissing a smoker..... Yeuck!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    Agree. I think it looks horrible, for both men and women. And I would never go out with a smoker. Just the thought of kissing a smoker..... Yeuck!
    But would you or would you not kiss a drinker? At least, you can have a mint or a chewing gum after a ciggie, and it does mask the smell - nothing masks a beer mouth - to me, that is YEUCK!

But would you or would you not kiss a drinker? At least, you can have a mint or a chewing gum after a ciggie, and it does mask the smell - nothing masks a beer mouth - to me, that is YEUCK!
    Depends on what they're drinking. I'd never kiss someone who's drunk cider - it tastes like vomit! YUCK!! But if I've drunk beer myself (happens once in a blue moon), it won't matter if I snog someone else who's drunk beer. But I do agree, beer breath is not nice either, but in my opinion not as vile as ciggie breath.

I don't think chewing gum masks ciggie breath any better than it masks beer breath or garlic. I'd definitely not want to kiss a smoker, even after he's chewed gum!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    Depends on what they're drinking. I'd never kiss someone who's drunk cider - it tastes like vomit! YUCK!! But if I've drunk beer myself (happens once in a blue moon), it won't matter if I snog someone else who's drunk beer. But I do agree, beer breath is not nice either, but in my opinion not as vile as ciggie breath.

I don't think chewing gum masks ciggie breath any better than it masks beer breath or garlic. I'd definitely not want to kiss a smoker, even after he's chewed gum!
    Well, here you go - you drink and you think it's fine - once in a blue moon. I smoke - and I think it's fine, even though I impose all sorts of restrictions on myself - for the sake of surrounding public.
    Both damage your health - smoke affects your lungs, drink affects your liver. What's your pick ???? - seems to depend upon what you find acceptable by what you do yourself...

It's things like this - you go to the beach in the summer with the kids and you can't even make a sand castle without digging up 20 fag butts (not to mention the odd dog poo).
    You think people are smoking the dog poo? Is that against the law?
    Why do so many people insist on continuing with a habit that is so evil.?
    Er - addiction.

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

I agree with Nebula (yes i am also a smoker) in everything she has said in this thread.

I feel that yes the ban is good for those who dont smoke and I (like neb) normally smoke outside. I dont see why my rights to smoke outside also should be taken away from me by those who have already gotten their way by banning us inside.

I hate drinkers, neither jake or i drink regularly, and i have to put up with people , who are so drunk, ruining my clothes by spilling drinks over them (talking white tops and red wine here) being sick over me and getting into fights with me, my friends etc for just standing there minding our own business.

I think that if we are not allowed to smoke then why should drinkers be allowed to drink at least after i have a smoke i dont go around fighting with people (including stabbings etc) or go home and knock ten shades out of my partner cause i am drunk.

AFAIK drinkers (ie alcholics and drink related violence) costy the goverment more money in the form of more police and hospital staff on weekend nights and the NHS for helping the get new livers which they are just going to kill with more alcohol.

Dont even get me started on drugs.

I am a considerate smoker, i will smoke outside, try my hardest to make sure my smoke isnt blowing into anyones faces and at the end of my cigarette, i stub it out and find a receptical to put it in. I dont cause fights when i have a smoke and when i am in the company of non smokers i will, more than likely, not even consider having one.

Let me have my ciggie in a bear garden or outside wherever i am and leave me in peace.

I am sorry to interrupt your good moan about us the worst public enemies, but as a (gasp!) smoker, I find it really inconsiderate. I don't smoke a lot, I don't smoke where there is food served, I don't smoke in my house. In fact, whenever I smoke, it is most likely to be outside anyway - even in winter. The offensive here is - WHY are MY rights cut?! I am old enough to know it isn't the best of habits, and it is still my adult decision not to give up. Why am I treated like an idiot child who doesn't know better, and kind government would show me the way (stars in my eyes, chorus singing Hallelujah, etc, etc!!!)? It makes me want to flaunt the law just to spite it all...
    By the way, if you count the casualties from passive smoking, and drinking - the odds are stictly in favour of smoking...
    The problem with the fallacy that smokers have rights is that they can only exercise those 'rights' at the expense of those who simply want to experience unpolluted air. It's a bit like insisting on the right to pee on people's feet.

I'm not very exercised about passive smoking. But I am exercised about the fact that since I was an adult I have been prevented from enjoying most pubs, since the atmosphere in them causes me to cough, become short of breath, and have tears streaming from my eyes. It would have been the same with cinemas if they had not been forced to ban smoking by the insurance companies.

I am sorry, the air belongs to me as much as it does to you!
    Hmm. going on the offensive, eh?

The problem is, for me to enjoy the air which 'belongs' to me doesn't incommode or inconvenience anyone else. For you to enjoy the air as you want to instantly causes unpleasantness for anyone in the vicinity.

Do you agree the effects of smoking have a finacial impact on the NHS?
    yes, but... Statistically, much less then those of drinkers - You can tell that MY pet hate is drinkers.... BRRRRRRRRR!!!!
    Sadly, there's no escaping the fact that smokers pay far, far more in taxes than the NHS expends on smoking related illnesses.

Of course, as smoking diminishes in popularity, smokers' tax contribution will plummet while the last of the smokers are using up NHS facilities in one last gasp of ... selfishness?

Oh, and another thing. Important distinction: use alcohol as it is intended to be enjoyed, and you will not suffer any ill effects (expectant women have to be more careful). Use tobacco as it is intended to be used and you are damaging your lungs and health from drag #1.

Do you really think so?

Greg

Exactamundo. Blechr! Most usual response, in my head, I think 'F***wit.'

Thread Information