Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Puffers defy day one of smoking ban

Re: Puffers defy day one of smoking ban

It was so good having a meal out last night and coming home without my clothes stinking of smoke. It has worked well in Ireland and will make a difference over here too in helping people give up. I am an ex smoker and I really do know how hard it is to stop. If you are in a social situation where others are smoking and having a drink it is really hard to resist lighting up. But hopefully some will find it less difficult now.

A massive good luck to anyone who is trying to quit, you WILL do it in your own time and your own way. Don't beat yourselves up about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    You might guess that I am an ex smoker - the worse kind.
    me too.

I am sorry to interrupt your good moan about us the worst public enemies, but as a (gasp!) smoker, I find it really inconsiderate. I don't smoke a lot, I don't smoke where there is food served, I don't smoke in my house. In fact, whenever I smoke, it is most likely to be outside anyway - even in winter. The offensive here is - WHY are MY rights cut?! I am old enough to know it isn't the best of habits, and it is still my adult decision not to give up. Why am I treated like an idiot child who doesn't know better, and kind government would show me the way (stars in my eyes, chorus singing Hallelujah, etc, etc!!!)? It makes me want to flaunt the law just to spite it all...
    By the way, if you count the casualties from passive smoking, and drinking - the odds are stictly in favour of smoking...

May I suggest you die hard smokers start your own Smoking Prohibition and start openning underground smoke-easies preferably dancing Salsa (they seem to like smokey venues)

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by nebula View Post
    I am sorry to interrupt your good moan about us the worst public enemies, but as a (gasp!) smoker, I find it really inconsiderate. I don't smoke a lot, I don't smoke where there is food served, I don't smoke in my house. In fact, whenever I smoke, it is most likely to be outside anyway - even in winter. The offensive here is - WHY are MY rights cut?! I am old enough to know it isn't the best of habits, and it is still my adult decision not to give up. Why am I treated like an idiot child who doesn't know better, and kind government would show me the way (stars in my eyes, chorus singing Hallelujah, etc, etc!!!)? It makes me want to flaunt the law just to spite it all...
    By the way, if you count the casualties from passive smoking, and drinking - the odds are stictly in favour of smoking...
    So you think you've got the right to inflict passive smoking on innocent people? I have had several asthma attacks due to smoking, and have had nights out completely ruined because I end up wheezing, with sore eyes and throat, and often coughing for several days afterwards because the smoke has been so bad (or because idiots have actually blown the smoke right in my face on purpose!!!). I also hate the smell of it, and it can really put me off my food if there's people smoking right next to me.

Basically, the new law protects people who DON'T want to inhale your smoke. You're still allowed to smoke, but you now just have to do it in places where you're less likely to inflict your smoke on others, so your right to smoke has not been taken away from you.

You do sound like a considerate person, who don't want to inflict your smoke on other people, which is great. I can't stop people smoking if that's what they want to do. Go on, ruin your own health if you want, but don't ruin mine!

One of the good things in Sweden is the prevalence of 'snus' - which is tobacco either in 'tea-bag' form or fresh from a tin, which they roll up in their fingers - and then wedge between their upper lip and front teeth.

They get the 'high' (or whatever) and there is no smoke. Yes!

I remember many years ago - a hardened(?) smoker from the UK coming to Sweden and trying 'snus' for the first time. Ha! It blew his head off - he was nearly sick. So it is quite strong stuff.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I I don't smoke a lot, I don't smoke where there is food served, I don't smoke in my house. In fact, whenever I smoke, it is most likely to be outside anyway - even in winter.
    If you did this already, then surely the ban won't really have much effect on you?

You sound like a very considerate smoker and probably, the reason you already smoked outside before the ban, is that you appreciate that non-smokers find it offensive and you didn't want to inflict your smoke on other people?

As for not smoking in your own home, why

You must have your reasons .... maybe you have children and want to protect them from passive smoking? Or you don't like the smell of the old smoke lingering? Or you don't like the effects it has on the decor of your house, discolouring the paintwork and soft furnishings?

Probably the same reasons that its been banned from all public places?

Sadly, not all smokers have the same amount of respect you clearly have for others and that's why its come to this!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Well, thanks for your permission, Monkey!
    I have my right to do whatever I choose with my health. I do other things to keep me healthy - I dance, I eat well, I try not to gain too much weight (unless my boobs start to droop ). I don't particularly like to inhale smoke whilst I am eating, either, so I am all for banning it inside the eateries. But what harm did it ever do to have smoking rooms in office buildings? And by the sound of all you moaners, you want to ban it altogether - I am sorry, the air belongs to me as much as it does to you! You aren't going to stop using your car - which pollutes the air much more - are you? So why am I supposed to stop smoking?

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    One of the good things in Sweden is the prevalence of 'snus' - which is tobacco either in 'tea-bag' form or fresh from a tin, which they roll up in their fingers - and then wedge between their upper lip and front teeth.
    The not so good thing is the way they keep spitting gobs of yellowy-brown goo everywhere because of the snus. YUC! But yes, at least there's no smoke.

Oh, and it's one of the most off-putting things I know, when a guy has a lump of snus under his lip.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    If you did this already, then surely the ban won't really have much effect on you?

You sound like a very considerate smoker and probably, the reason you already smoked outside before the ban, is that you appreciate that non-smokers find it offensive and you didn't want to inflict your smoke on other people?

As for not smoking in your own home, why

You must have your reasons .... maybe you have children and want to protect them from passive smoking? Or you don't like the smell of the old smoke lingering? Or you don't like the effects it has on the decor of your house, discolouring the paintwork and soft furnishings?

Probably the same reasons that its been banned from all public places?

Sadly, not all smokers have the same amount of respect you clearly have for others and that's why its come to this!
    Unfortunately, I have to agree to this one - so many arrogant smokers have no respect for other people. But the fact is, it is still the right of people to make their own decisions whether they want to continue or stop, and it isn't right for you to decide whether it should be banned in parks or in beer gardens. You don't want smoke inside (frankly, neither do I!), then you have to put up with poor souls being forced into open air.

They get the 'high' (or whatever) and there is no smoke. Yes!

I remember many years ago - a hardened(?) smoker from the UK coming to Sweden and trying 'snus' for the first time. Ha! It blew his head off - he was nearly sick. So it is quite strong stuff.
    And, bonus, you get a different type of cancer from it! (mouth cancer instead of lung cancer)

Honestly, it will never make any sense to me why people do these daft things to themselves. For the sake of 'cool'? Or for a tiny high, which goes away once you're addicted and it's just a low when you don't get it instead?

But one thing is for sure about the new rules - finally, those of us who choose not to drug ourselves don't have to have it inflicted on us by others everywhere we go - I finally enjoyed an evening in a pub yesterday for the first time in ages, because I could breathe when I left.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

you have to put up with poor souls being forced into open air.
    Well, maybe... for now!

Anyway, I have a few genuine questions for you and the other smokers out there.

What are the advantages of smoking, from the smokers perpective?

Turning the clocks back in time, knowing what you know now...would you have still started smoking?

Would you advise others to take it up?

Would you be happy if your children smoked? (if you have any)

Are there any disadvantages of stopping?

Do you agree the effects of smoking have a finacial impact on the NHS?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Well, thanks for your permission, Monkey!
    I have my right to do whatever I choose with my health. I do other things to keep me healthy - I dance, I eat well, I try not to gain too much weight (unless my boobs start to droop ). I don't particularly like to inhale smoke whilst I am eating, either, so I am all for banning it inside the eateries. But what harm did it ever do to have smoking rooms in office buildings? And by the sound of all you moaners, you want to ban it altogether - I am sorry, the air belongs to me as much as it does to you! You aren't going to stop using your car - which pollutes the air much more - are you? So why am I supposed to stop smoking?
    Did I say I wanted to ban it altogether? No. I just said I'm happy that I will no longer have other people's smoke inflicted on me, making me ill, whenever I go out to a pub/restaurant etc. I also stated that I think you sound like a considerate person who doesn't want to inflict your smoke on others, which is really good. If you want to smoke, that's absolutely fine, as long as I don't have to inhale it.

Oh, and BTW - I don't have a car, and walk everywhere, or use public transport. But I do think people use their cars too much, and that they cause a lot of nasty pollution, which is a big problem.

(Human beings are very good at using substances that damage their own health, and very good at destroying our planet by pollution etc. It's not going to stop, but I'm definitely in favour of trying to limit the damage as much as possible.)

Replying within the text...
    Well, maybe... for now!

Anyway, I have a few genuine questions for you and the other smokers out there.

What are the advantages of smoking, from the smokers perpective?
    It relaxes me if I am stressed. It gives me something to do whilst my brain is occupied otherwise. It feels nice. It is good with a glass of wine or a cup of coffee - universal accompaniment. And finally - if you smoke long cigs, it looks cool .

Turning the clocks back in time, knowing what you know now...would you have still started smoking?
    Yes

Would you advise others to take it up?
    It is entirely up to them

Would you be happy if your children smoked? (if you have any)
    I would show her HOW to smoke, exactly as my Mum has done - and will advise of the bad things that can happen - including cancer, asthmas, etc, etc. She will then be fully entitled to make up her OWN mind. I will put the same restrictions - no smoking where there is food, inside the house, or in other people's faces, and will enforce them.

Are there any disadvantages of stopping?
    If you don't feel the urge, you are not reaching for one after other, it doesn't ruin you financially, you are fairly happy with your helth, and you enjoy it - why give it up to make somebody else happy?

yes, but... Statistically, much less then those of drinkers - You can tell that MY pet hate is drinkers.... BRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    I have had several asthma attacks due to smoking, and have had nights out completely ruined because I end up wheezing, with sore eyes and throat, and often coughing for several days afterwards
    I have to agree from a personal point of view and an ex smoker, which are the worst kind . I may become a pubbie now and go to quiz's and listen to bands and come home without wheezing or smelling of smoke. I believe that the ban is right, and is more for people who don't want to be in a position where their health is at risk. There are many considerate smokers out there and whenever any one comes to my house if they want to smoke they know I wont object to them smoking, it is none of my business what other people do, but they will respect my space and smoke outside. The saddest thing for me is that my children smoke and I really would like them not to, and if this makes life harder for them then I am happy. That's me speaking as a mum, and I don't apologise for that one.
    Last edited by Lory; 2nd-July-2007 at 07:07 PM. Reason: fixing quotes

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    The not so good thing is the way they keep spitting gobs of yellowy-brown goo everywhere because of the snus. YUC! But yes, at least there's no smoke.

Oh, and it's one of the most off-putting things I know, when a guy has a lump of snus under his lip.
    Yes - when I first saw a guy with that I wasn't sure what it was. I thought he had some sort of problem.......and I didn't like to say.

...and yes it is DISGUSTING when they remove it.........

.....however - it's still better than smoking.

As for the cancer rates from it - not sure how it stacks up against smoking as I haven't seen any figures.

The saddest thing for me is that my children smoke and I really would like them not to, and if this makes life harder for them then I am happy. That's me speaking as a mum, and I don't apologise for that one.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
    I don't think you should apologise - we all want the best for our children. The fact that you tell them, makes you the person who care about their wellbeing. The fact that they decide for themselves, I think, makes them responsible adults.

yes, but... Statistically, much less then those of drinkers - You can tell that MY pet hate is drinkers.... BRRRRRRRRR!!!!
    On the other hand if the pubs are suffering there should be less drinkers or people drinking less each.

So it's not all bad.

.... , and it isn't right for you to decide whether it should be banned in parks or in beer gardens. You don't want smoke inside (frankly, neither do I!), then you have to put up with poor souls being forced into open air.
    I don't agree with that. If it is agreed in a democratic fashion to ban smoking in parks - then that is that. Freedom means the acceptance of civilised norms in society. We have for example, banned people from allowing their dogs to foul the local park, we have laws against litter, smoking is another I would just ban completely (not least becuase most smokers just throw their stubs onto the pavement in an indiscriminate fashion).

I don't agree with that. If it is agreed in a democratic fashion to ban smoking in parks - then that is that. Freedom means the acceptance of civilised norms in society. We have for example, banned people from allowing their dogs to foul the local park, we have laws against litter, smoking is another I would just ban completely (not least becuase most smokers just throw their stubs onto the pavement in an indiscriminate fashion).
    yeah, and they instead let their dogs foul your front lawn - thanks, I'd rather have cig stubs - at least those you can pick up...

Thread Information