Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Puffers defy day one of smoking ban

Blog Entries

Puffers defy day one of smoking ban

Well, defiant smokers everywhere continued smoking in public yesterday saying this breached the rights of smokers. West End clubs are saying they are going to take this to the European court of human rights and are going to have smoke ins ... lol... bit like lock ins in pubs.

Am i missing something. Does anybody think the smoking ban is wrong.

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

Re: Puffers defy day one of smoking ban

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Well, defiant smokers everywhere continued smoking in public yesterday saying this breached the rights of smokers. West End clubs are saying they are going to take this to the European court of human rights and are going to have smoke ins ... lol... bit like lock ins in pubs.

Am i missing something. Does anybody think the smoking ban is wrong.
    It's great here in Scotland now.... can go to the pub without having an asthmatic attack!! Nobody destroys your meal with the smell of a Silk Cut! Can't understand what the fuss is about!!

I would not hesitate to stitch someone up if they flounced the ban. Smokers have had it their own way for far too long. I say ban it altogether.

You might guess that I am an ex smoker - the worse kind.

no it is the best thing ever invented i hate smoke it smells foul its fine if people want to smoke but dont do it by me i dont want to die of passive smoking

Quote Originally Posted by sway View Post
    no it is the best thing ever invented i hate smoke it smells foul its fine if people want to smoke but dont do it by me i dont want to die of passive smoking
    As I arrive or leave our building (9 floors high) there are only 5 or 6 smokers (that I can identify) that regularly go out for ciggie breaks. I am sure there are others that I don't see, but for a building this big I think we must be getting more non smokers than smokers applying for jobs - IMHO this makes it a more comfortable/ pleasant / productive atmosphere (in/ for at least 2 senses! ) for everyone....

I didn't really much care either way for the Labour domination of the Scottish Parliament, but this they did well

Long live the ban

Whitetiger

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

There were no problems with Ireland, Scotland, Northern Ireland or Wales "protesting" in this way. Must be a lower IQ in England or something

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    There were no problems with Ireland, Scotland, Northern Ireland or Wales "protesting" in this way. Must be a lower IQ in England or something
    In a totally non-racially biased way, of course!!

Blog Entries

I have given up smoking a total of 5 times in my life. Each time more determined than the last and i always slip when i have had a drink in the pub, surrounded by smokers and one too many, offered a ciggie, thats it, back on them again.

i have prayed for this day to come along so that this time, nothing gets in the way of me living a smoke free life and not being so angry that i have stopped smoking when other people stick there smelly smoke in my face when i go out.

It even bothers me outside. If I am sitting in a garden or a cafe enjoying a nice drink or coffee and smokers light, up, its even worse outside than inside. The wind blows it in your direction along with ash in your beer.

I have given up now for the 6th time and hope to be forever ash free.

Brilliant brilliant day smoking ban came into force.

When I was in Inverness a taxi driver told me that although he was a non-smoker he wished that the ban had never happened because people had stopped going to the pubs so he wasn't getting as much business! And also that several pubs had shut blaming the ban.

This is the only bad comment about the ban that I've heard up here in Scotland. I don't think it's made much of a difference in Aberdeen on the night life. The only problem I have is beer gardens...When it is sunny is so crowded with smokers then it gets a bit horrible.

What I want to know is that why things like bus stops are deemed public areas and therfore smoke free (or are supposed to be) but why Beer gardens aren't?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    When I was in Inverness a taxi driver told me that although he was a non-smoker he wished that the ban had never happened because people had stopped going to the pubs so he wasn't getting as much business! And also that several pubs had shut blaming the ban.

This is the only bad comment about the ban that I've heard up here in Scotland. I don't think it's made much of a difference in Aberdeen on the night life. The only problem I have is beer gardens...When it is sunny is so crowded with smokers then it gets a bit horrible.

What I want to know is that why things like bus stops are deemed public areas and therfore smoke free (or are supposed to be) but why Beer gardens aren't?
    Thats a good point and one that will be recitified in winter.....

That's a good question. I understand some councils are now planning to ban smoking in parks. The law is quite compex for some work places I think - so you can't just necessrily smoke outside an entrance to a building. A bus stop should be deemed a confined public space - and maybe the same rules should apply - especially in a crowded bus shelter.

It even bothers me outside. If I am sitting in a garden or a cafe enjoying a nice drink or coffee and smokers light, up, its even worse outside than inside. The wind blows it in your direction along with ash in your beer.
    Unfortunately that's something that gets worse. With the smokers pushed outside then those areas have more smokers in. Likewise on sunny days that you'd want to eat outside the tables are normally full of smokers. Likewise I get annoyed at people who stand outside of pubs that have a tiny pavement smoking and waving their cigarette around . Anyway small prices to pay.

Because the beer garden is owned by an establishment that wants to guarantee that it can still draw in a crowd of people that want to smoke?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    If I remember correctly, there were plenty of reports of problems in Ireland (I was there at the time the ban came in, and the perishing weather didn't encourage people to go outside.)

So are you suggesting that smokers in some countries have intelligence?

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman View Post
    So are you suggesting that smokers in some countries have intelligence?

Greg
    That can't be right!!!

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
    Because the beer garden is owned by an establishment that wants to guarantee that it can still draw in a crowd of people that want to smoke?
    I understand this! but as a "Public Area" you can't smoke inside the pub which has been forced by the Law! What is the difference with a beer garden! It's still a public area! I don't understand this part!

I understand this! but as a "Public Area" you can't smoke inside the pub which has been forced by the Law! What is the difference with a beer garden! It's still a public area! I don't understand this part!
    Well I assume that there has been a full analysis by government scientists who have assessed the number of 'smoke molecules' and other particulates which would be absorbed by a person in a pub garden - taking into account proximity to the smoking fraternity average wind speeds and so on.

Whatever: we must remain vigilant at all times and resolute and robust in our response - we will not be intimidated by smokers in pub gardens.

(Did I get confused with something there?).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Well I assume that there has been a full analysis by government scientists who have assessed the number of 'smoke molecules' and other particulates which would be absorbed by a person in a pub garden - taking into account proximity to the smoking fraternity average wind speeds and so on.

Whatever: we must remain vigilant at all times and resolute and robust in our response - we will not be intimidated by smokers in pub gardens.

(Did I get confused with something there?).
    So next time somebody blows smoke in my face, i'll get on the mobile, give you a call and let you give them a good telling off.

Because a bus stop is often more than 50% surrounded by walls and has a roof. Beer gardens don't normally have roofs...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Because a bus stop is often more than 50% surrounded by walls and has a roof. Beer gardens don't normally have roofs...

Doesn't an umbrella count as a confined space. !!

So next time somebody blows smoke in my face, i'll get on the mobile, give you a call and let you give them a good telling off.
    Imagine all those smokers, already fuming that they have been banished to the beer garden, whether they like it or not, then having us non-smokers moaning at them for smoking outside. I suspect there will be a few pub garden fights imminently.

I do think pub gardens should be non-smoking, in fact, any public area, inside or out.

I hate smoking, hate it, hate it, hate it. It's things like this - you go to the beach in the summer with the kids and you can't even make a sand castle without digging up 20 fag butts (not to mention the odd dog poo). I've had many an outfit ruined by selfish smokers brushing their nasty fags past my clothes and burning holes in them. You dance with someone who has been smoking and their breath makes you want to vomit all over their face.

Why do so many people insist on continuing with a habit that is so evil.?

Thread Information