Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
Think about the national grief that we ALL felt when Diana died.
All? I think not. The only way it affected me was that I was travelling across London when the funeral was going on and the Underground was quieter than usual. Oh, and of course there was nothing decent on TV that day.

A lot of people wondered what the fuss was all about. Particularly those of us who are republicans, Welsh or Scottish nationalists or who just don't care what the royals get up to.

I never new Diana personally and she was irrelevant to my life, so I felt no grief when she died.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
I recommend that anyone with any respect for the dead does likewise
I've never understood the whole tradition of not speaking ill of the dead. True, they're not here to defend themselves -- but I could slag Prince Charles off on this forum and he's also not here to defend himself, even though he's very much alive.

Dead people, while alive, were the same as the rest of us. They had their good points and bad points.

I think it's good advice not to speak ill of the dead when you're with someone who knew and loved them, particularly while grief is still raw, but among others I think we should speak honestly of the dead.