Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suspected Terrorist Attack at Glasgow Airport

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

Suspected Terrorist Attack at Glasgow Airport

Hi Folks,

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Glasgow Airport has been hit by a suspected terrorist attack. Two guys drove a burning vehicle into the terminal building....haven't heard if anyone is hurt yet

Re: Suspected Terrorist Attack at Glasgow Airport

Looks like its a failed attempt. Will cause plenty of disruption though.

Commercial Operator

Pah...

There's worse than that at an Old Firm game!!

Wegies are hard, you know!!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    Pah...

Glaswegians are dead hard. They probably pi$$ed on the burning car from the upstairs windows

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    Pah...

Glaswegians are dead hard. They probably pi$$ed on the burning car from the upstairs windows
    If it wasn't an enclosed area, they would've been lighting their fags from it .

purplehyacinth

Looks like police are treating it pretty seriously. According to BBC they are now treating it as "terrorism" rather than suspected, and they are starting to look at potential links with the two recent incidents in London. All links are to relevant articles on BBC news website

"Airport incident "was terrorism"." BBC NEWS | Scotland | Airport incident 'was terrorism'

"Police confident in bombers hunt" BBC NEWS | UK | Police confident in bombers hunt

"UK terror alert now "critical"."BBC NEWS | UK | UK terror threat now 'critical'

"Appeal over jeep used in attack" BBC NEWS | Scotland | Appeal over Jeep used in attack

Quote Originally Posted by purpleheather View Post
    Looks like police are treating it pretty seriously. According to BBC they are now treating it as "terrorism" rather than suspected, and they are starting to look at potential links with the two recent incidents in London. All links are to relevant articles on BBC news website

"Airport incident "was terrorism"." BBC NEWS | Scotland | Airport incident 'was terrorism'

"Police confident in bombers hunt" BBC NEWS | UK | Police confident in bombers hunt

"UK terror alert now "critical"."BBC NEWS | UK | UK terror threat now 'critical'

"Appeal over jeep used in attack" BBC NEWS | Scotland | Appeal over Jeep used in attack
    Yet more fear biscuit! The 'security services' must be rubbing their hands together in glee. Terrorism is to cause a feeling of terror (and therefore only works if it is given a platform to terrorise). Currently the police and the BBC are doing a better job than any illegal organisation could wish for.

And isn't it strange that with millions of our squids in their pockets the 'security services' were unable to protect London or Glasgow from a couple of half-baked idiots. Makes you wonder if that cash would be better off spent on hospitals or schools
    Last edited by StokeBloke; 1st-July-2007 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    ........ Makes you wonder if that cash would be better off spent on hospitals or schools
    Perhaps not......
    It's a bit ironic that 2 of the people arrested are hospital doctors. One of the Glasgow Jeep chaps was a doctor - according to the report I read.

Hmmm.........puts a new spin on it...........spend more on NHS and take on Iraq refugee 'doctors' - who decide to bomb the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Perhaps not......
    It's a bit ironic that 2 of the people arrested are hospital doctors. One of the Glasgow Jeep chaps was a doctor - according to the report I read.

Hmmm.........puts a new spin on it...........spend more on NHS and take on Iraq refugee 'doctors' - who decide to bomb the UK.
    Please, this isn't America, innocent until proven guilty... Iraqie <> Terrorist

Thank you

Please, this isn't America, innocent until proven guilty... Iraqie <> Terrorist

Thank you
    Not sure what you're saying here.

I don't think I said that Iraqis = Terrorist.

The report I read stated that one of the guys in the jeep was an Iraqi refugee working as a hospital doctor.

I agree, that the guys in the Jeep who rammed the airport terminal in Glasgow and set the car alight and then fought with police are.......innocent - until proved guilty, and that the due process of law should take effect.

The wider point is the risks highlighted by accepting refugees from a country who we have been at war with.

Let's imagine there were 1,000 Iraqi refugees and 999 were fine upstanding citizens. One of them (let's say) - perhaps an educated and professional personnel - actually holds a massive grudge against the UK and is plotting to cause carnage.

Let's say that person succeeds - and kills 50 people in the process. Is our policy on refugees managing the risk and security of the UK people in an acceptable way?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And isn't it strange that with millions of our squids in their pockets the 'security services' were unable to protect London or Glasgow from a couple of half-baked idiots.
    Realistically, I'm not sure exactly what measures can be done, once they're in the cars - stop people driving cars? Shoot someone driving suspiciously?

The only possible measures are preventative and intelligence-led - and if there's no intelligence, we're stuffed.

On the other hand, let's put this in perspective - no-one died, not even the nutter who set himself on fire. We had some travel inconvenience - less than we'd see here with a Tube strike.

Makes you wonder if that cash would be better off spent on hospitals or schools
    You could say that about any non-school-or-hospital expenditure. Should the government spend 100% of its revenue on schools and hospitals?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    I heard on the train this morning someone telling how the queue for the Alicante flight veered off and started laying into one of the suspects. Probably exaggerated of course, but theres a lesson there for terrorists attacking Glasgow

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    I heard on the train this morning someone telling how the queue for the Alicante flight veered off and started laying into one of the suspects. Probably exaggerated of course, but theres a lesson there for terrorists attacking Glasgow
    I totally mis-read that and had visions of a plane veering in to a terrorist.

Yup - those two terrorists probably didn't see Braveheart.... 'cos if they had they'd never have bothered!!

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

My younger son is flying out from Glasgow airport this morning, texts so far say they've had no delays, and the flight is still announced for the original departure time.
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    I agree, that the guys in the Jeep who rammed the airport terminal in Glasgow and set the car alight and then fought with police are.......innocent - until proved guilty, and that the due process of law should take effect.
    I think that's taking the presumption of innocence a bit far. "the guys in the Jeep who rammed the airport terminal" must, by definition, be guilty, and we (in this forum) can treat them as such.

Proving that a particular individual who comes before a court was one of the individuals in the vehicle, and proving precisely what crimes he committed - these are matters yet to be completed, and the presumption of innocence has its place in that process.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Good article on TheRegister about the latest attempted "terrorism" incidents. Beings things into perspective a bit, especially about the media and police maintaining a certain level of fear in the general public.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Is there a difference between Glasgow and anywhere else ? Quite possibly have a look here

.... to quote the soon to be famous weegie, John Smeaton, on the airport incident.

on the National ITV newS.
    The interviewer asked "What message do you have for the bombers" he replied. "This is Glasgow we'll just set about you"

on cnn they asked how he restrained the suspect and he said "me and other folk were just trying to get the boot in and some other guy banjoed him" !

..cue, no doubt, utter confusion on the faces of the studio news team

Is there a difference between Glasgow and anywhere else ? Quite possibly have a look here

.... to quote the soon to be famous weegie, John Smeaton, on the airport incident.

on the National ITV newS.
    The interviewer asked "What message do you have for the bombers" he replied. "This is Glasgow we'll just set about you"

on cnn they asked how he restrained the suspect and he said "me and other folk were just trying to get the boot in and some other guy banjoed him" !

..cue, no doubt, utter confusion on the faces of the studio news team
    "See, it's like this"....

....I'm not from Glasgow, I'm from further North where we speak a slightly less confusing and clearer version of the Scottish language... but those clips made me laugh! That's exactly what I meant about the Braveheart thing.... you'd have to be stone flaming bonkers to go against a Weegie!!! Well done that man!!!

Wonder if they've worked out in America what "banjoed" means?!?!

Beings things into perspective a bit, especially about the media and police maintaining a certain level of fear in the general public.
    Fear and consumption.

Thread Information