Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Work or stay at home? Whats the answer?

Re: Work or stay at home? Whats the answer?

If I were to work and left my son with my mum or a friend I wouldnt get any money towards it. So unless they would do it for free I would be out of pocket. If you choose a registered childminder/nursery you recieve around 80% of the cost in tax credits.

This means for many who would like to leave their children with extended family, they cant afford to.

Zara xxx

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

Quote Originally Posted by Zara View Post
    If I were to work and left my son with my mum or a friend I wouldnt get any money towards it. So unless they would do it for free I would be out of pocket. If you choose a registered childminder/nursery you recieve around 80% of the cost in tax credits.

This means for many who would like to leave their children with extended family, they cant afford to.

Zara xxx
    That's true - but I don't get 80% or my childcare costs. Because both my husband and I work... I get nothing towards my childcare costs. So I work to pay for my childcare

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I didn't know that.

So, a hypothetical question. What would happen, if your parents looked after them for you, would they have to become registered child minders, in order for you to claim tax credits?
    Yes they would have to be registered. I suppose it makes sense...just because my parents are my parents, it doesn't mean they would be great at looking after children, or that their house was a child friendly environment. They would have to be checked like all other childcare providers.

I think it also insures that the government can keep tabs on who's earning what. If I was paying my mum £300 a week, I'm sure they would take it off her pension, or make sure she was paying tax, etc.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Yes they would have to be registered. I suppose it makes sense...just because my parents are my parents, it doesn't mean they would be great at looking after children, or that their house was a child friendly environment. They would have to be checked like all other childcare providers.
    Hmm, I'm sure 'you'd' know them well enough to know if they if they were good/trustworthy enough to look after 'your' child, better than some random person from the authorities, doing a spot check.

My parents look after my sisters two children for a couple of hours every morning while she goes to the gym, does a bit of housework and the shopping etc. I don't think the government would be interested/concerned about that, as she doesn't pay them anything!

So it would seem that the government's only concerned about the childs walfare, if the person looking after them is getting paid?

I think it also insures that the government can keep tabs on who's earning what. If I was paying my mum £300 a week, I'm sure they would take it off her pension, or make sure she was paying tax, etc.
    I think this is the most likely case!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

I have just read this thread with great interest as I am just applying for jobs to go back into work after four years out caring for my kids. It's a daunting thing and as lots of people have mentioned it is full of difficult decisions both financial and emotional.

Child care is extortionate but then I guess it is better to pay for good care than pay less for inadequate care, we all want our children to be safe and well looked after.

I am fortunate to be married and my husband earns good money but we still struggle at times to keep everything going and have nice things in our lives. Me going back to work will make a huge difference to this but finding childcare and working it all out is causing me more stress than the prospect of interviews - mind you, God only knows when I will find the time to prepare for interviews!

My Mum is a single mum with three dependents still at home. She lived on benefits for a while with zero support from my Dad (who resides in a little world no one else can get to ) Although she could get her rent paid it was near on impossible to find a house big enough to accomodate the four of them within the rental amounts the council would pay in a less than **** area. In addition they regularly cocked up her payments which left her in a complete pickle as she could rarely get hold of money she needed with such short notice. She couldn't afford to run her car and had very little money left over. She decided that going back to work for a pittance would be easier as at least it was consistent and guarenteed.

Annoyingly, my father who is mentally ill gets an astronimcal amount in benefits each month and a brand new flat in the centre of town for which he doesn't pay a penny. All of his bills are paid too and he gets a car! He is under no obligation to give my Mum anything so he spends his money on new gadgets and crap for mad people whilst my Mum works three jobs and barely sees my brothers.

It's a mad world!

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss View Post
    my father who is mentally ill

~snip~

gets a car!

It's a mad world!
    It sure is!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Thread Information