Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meeting the parents

Re: Meeting the parents

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    C'mon Twirly, how did it go?
    Blimey - give a girl a chance, I'm only just back in the house! Had to go for three days as they live in the back of beyond. Left Dumfries at 5pm today, and back home at 11pm... the things we do for love!

It went fine - very well in fact. Didn't manage to break anything, insult anyone or put my foot in it (that I'm aware) of once! Flowers and chocolates went down well - though it isn't a house that needs anymore sugar brought in... I've never seen so much baking done in one house! It's clear where Beo gets the baking gene from. I've been sent home with one ginger cake, one fruit cake and a huge tub of millionaire's shortbread (the shortbread with caramel and chocolate). His mum defrosted an entire side of smoked salmon whilst I was there too and I was fed that over several meals... delicious I think his mum loved having us both there to fuss over - she was lovely, as was his Dad.

Nearly had a bit of a disaster on the way up - my train was delayed, and I was going to miss the connection at Carlisle for Dumfries - with nearly a two hour wait for the next one. They wouldn't hold the train for me at Carlisle, and I was getting really anxious - compounded by intermittent phone signal to command central (Beo) to arrange the rendezvous. I narrowly averted his parents heading off to Carlisle to collect me (about a 3 hour round trip late at night) when the nice lady Virgin Trains lady came and told me that they were laying on a taxi to take me (and 2 others) to Dumfries

The only down side was the weather - it rained non-stop on Saturday, so I didn't get to see as much of the town as Beo had hoped. It cleared up a bit on Sunday, and after his sister and the four kids (all under 10 ) had gone, we went for another wander. It seems a lovely little place with some wonderful scenery around and about. I look forward to seeing it properly another time when the sun is actually out!

I think his Dad must've been under orders from his mum to behave himself... I was braced for lots of corny jokes (have been told that's where Beo got the bad joke-gene from), but they were noticeable by their absence. And apparently his language was somewhat cleaner than usual too I managed not to swear either - the nearest I got was describing someone on the train as "pissed as a fart" Was on best behaviour after that

Anyway, it must've gone well as I've been invited back. Just have to remember to go on a diet beforehand and take a spare suitcase next time for all the cakes!

Very entertaining read Twirly.
    Have you thought of writing books?

Shame about the weather, [it was wet in London too] but you would have had to stay local anyway according to Beo. Welcome to Wig town, you will never leave!

Plus there was a Full Moon on Saturday afternoon around 2.50 pm. Any Werewolves about?

Hey Sweetie - glad to hear it went well

Really glad it went well

I remember the afternoon that Mr Darcy insisted on meeting my parents ("we're quite close aren't we? why don't we drop in for a cup of tea?" ) and ended up staying for dinner. My Dad and I were fighting over the last roast potato and whilst our forks were engaged Mr Darcy nipped in and swiped it from under our very noses. My Dad looks up rather surprised and says "Good man!"

Later on, my dad draws me aside to tell me that he likes him. I nearly fell over, previously my dad barely tolerated my boyfriends

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Blimey - give a girl a chance, Had to go for three days as they live in the back of beyond.
    No Actually they live beyond the back of beyond.. (Second bale of hay on the right and straight on 'til morning)

It's clear where Beo gets the baking gene from.
    It's also clear where I get my belly from too !!

Nearly had a bit of a disaster on the way up
    Well we would have easily have picked you up from Carlisle but as you said in the end it wasn't needed.

The only down side was the weather - it rained non-stop on Saturday, so I didn't get to see as much of the town as Beo had hoped.
    Erm.. yeah! There's me arm gesturing towards a blank canvas of bleak grey cloud and mist.

"Over there, if you can imagine, is an azure sun kissed bay with the majestic hills sweeping into the sky behind.."

erm.. nope.. I couldn't imagine it either.. it's very hard to imagine anything being sunkissed when you're being pelted with rain.

the four kids (all under 10 )
    5 kids.. 4 under 10 and 1 over 36

that's where Beo got the bad joke-gene from
    Cake gene from my mum and Joke Gene from my Dad. Text book genetics

Anyway, it must've gone well as I've been invited back.
    I got taken aside my by dad later in the day (I had to head up to the local store to get some celery for our dinner and dad gave me a lift) and he said that Mum and him had been talking and how much they liked her, and My Sister had also commented on how much she liked Twirly too.. and I didn't even need to bribe them !

It was a lovely weekend, but a hectic one. I left Aberdeen at 7:07am on the Friday, Arrived in Glasgow at 10ish, drove from there to Home via Dumfries (which was odd since Dad had intended to drive Via Ayr!) Then Back out to Dumfries in the evening to pick up Twirly BACK home again, then on the monday out to Dumfries to drop Twirly off then straight up to Glasgow to drop me off on a train back to Aberdeen (which was running late due to some vehicle colliding with a bridge nr Perth!) I EVENTUALLY got to Aberdeen to find all but one of the station exits shut.. and having to walk the long way home with my rucksack (which seemed to be twice as full going back as it was coming down!) and a shopping bag full of home baking !!.. staggered into the flat late on Monday night.. then up this morning at 6am to go down to Edinburgh for a meeting with work

I need my bed..

The weekend was worth it though. Parents love her, Sister loves her, My Nieces and nephew love her.. and even the town drunk who'd never seen her before said it was nice to see her again!

Glitter Queen

Glad it all went well for you both, even though travelling seemed a bit of a chore and the weather wasn't great. Looks like you got the thumbs up Twirly (not that I ever suspected otherwise ).

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post

The weekend was worth it though. Parents love her, Sister loves her, My Nieces and nephew love her.. and even the town drunk who'd never seen her before said it was nice to see her again!
    Definately a success....

I hate to ask this because you might have cravings for the rest of the day but... was there any cheesecake Beo.. 'cos I reckon with a weekend like that you'd be for a maple fudge cheesecake... maybe a nice fresh lemon St Clements...

THAT would make the weekend complete!!

Thread Information