Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Taxi-less Venues?

Taxi-less Venues?

Hi everyone,
    Just wondered if anyone out there dances Ceroc at venues without taxi dancers and if so how successful are they? Ceroc Central are dropping their taxi dancers at the end of this month. Personally I think our beginners will be losing out big time. We are going to have a "Buddy" instead starting from September, who,s job is to spend more time with any new male dancers, any thoughts?
    Ex Taxi Dancer

Re: Taxi-less Venues?

So who is going to run the review classes?

What differs in this "buddy" system from the taxi dancer system, apart from the women not being encouraged? And do you still get any benefits for your troubles? I assume that this also means that it's mainly followers who will be "buddy's"?

I was very grateful to the taxi dancers when I started, even as a follow. They were kind, patient and helpful. If you dance with other leads, they don't have to be (although a lot are) as that's not their job. If you get brought on more rapidly by the taxi's as a follow, you get to dance with the better leads more quickly, and give them less of a frustrating time, so they are more likely to ask you to dance.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sporty Jeff View Post
    Just wondered if anyone out there dances Ceroc at venues without taxi dancers and if so how successful are they?
    Never seen one - but I've only been to a couple of dozen venues, you need to ask a proper traveller like Trampy...

Ceroc Central are dropping their taxi dancers at the end of this month.
    Interesting - did they give any reasons?

I assumed that Taxi Dancers were mandatory at Ceroc venues, that they were part of the essential structure of lessons - certainly, that's what the ceroc.com website implies.

Personally I think our beginners will be losing out big time. We are going to have a "Buddy" instead starting from September, who,s job is to spend more time with any new male dancers, any thoughts?
    Yeah, "buddy" is a really naff name.
    Oh, and the CC logo reminds me of the Batsignal.

Apart from that, I've got nothing

Blog Entries

When me and my sister started dancing 4 years ago, we went to a Jive venue and they did not have taxi dancers. They used to go through the first class again a second time which was more helpful than anything.

When we went to Ceroc, we found the taxi dancers quite clickly and annoying to be honest.

So i think loosing taxi dancers is not a bad thing but a positive move and concentrating on men is even better cause its them that need to have more attention at the end of the day. Women just need to learn to follow which if lead well by the man happens pretty naturally.

The Buddy yuk what a sad name! will take the refresher class, the idea is to try and retain more men. I think we will lose a lot of lady beginners tho as without Taxi,s to dance with what are they 2do? Sorry 4 slow reply but still finding my way around this site

Blog Entries

The Buddy yuk what a sad name! will take the refresher class, the idea is to try and retain more men. I think we will lose a lot of lady beginners tho as without Taxi,s to dance with what are they 2do? Sorry 4 slow reply but still finding my way around this site
    buddy is cheesy yes but the men will love it. women generally get looked after by the men in general i find but women do not approach men so much. Welcome to the site by the way Sporty.xx

Really sorry to hear that. I dont think we are clicky in Letchworth. Does Dave still Taxi? have not seen him 4 ages must be love!

thank you

Blog Entries

The Buddy yuk what a sad name! will take the refresher class, the idea is to try and retain more men.
    Retaining more men is certainly not a bad idea - but I'm not sure what the exact differences are, if the Buddy is going to teach?

Is the Buddy supposed to have a 1-2-1 relationship with new men?* Or just to dance and coach new men specifically?

And - possibly a silly question - is the Buddy therefore going to be generally female?

* And does anyone else find that kind of creepy in a stalker-y way?

Just wondered if anyone out there dances Ceroc at venues without taxi dancers?
    Sure. Ceroc Cheltenham is a local venues that doesn't have formal taxi dancers. I've been to others (and several non-Ceroc places too).

If so how successful are they?
    Cheltenham was packed to the rafters a couple years ago, but the last few times I've been there it's been merely full. Very successful night, in one of the largest venues I've been in.

I think we will lose a lot of lady beginners tho as without Taxis to dance with what are they to do?
    Umm....
    Dance with non-taxis?

Ceroc Cenral actually employ their taxi dancers or should I say did employ their dancers!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post

Umm....
    Dance with non-taxis?

I agree with you Martin for a change..... women do get asked by men very easily or women can learn from men easier than men can learn from women in a standard freestyle.

When i was taxiing, i did tend to take on men one on one and give them extra special attention and i found this paid off. I also used to get approached at freestyles from basic dancers as they remember me and ask for more advice. Only downside i think will be for the buddy who will be approached all over even when not working which is often the case for taxi dancers.

yes spot on, while male taxi,s can apply its really the female Buddies required.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    And - possibly a silly question - is the Buddy therefore going to be generally female?
    I shall apply immediately and see if my application is rejected on the basis of my sex

I agree that beginner men need more attention than beginner women, but I don't think they should be abandoned.

There needs to be a revision class – maybe though if this was taken by a teacher, then this plus buddies for the guys would be an overall improvement...

Is this related at all to Ceroc {Somewhere} putting their taxi dancers on contracts and changing their name to something else? DavidY where are you?
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Blog Entries

yes spot on, while male taxi,s can apply its really the female Buddies required.
    Boy, Buddy is such a naff name isn't it.

From what you say, it sounds like CC are focussing their efforts on increasing the numbers of male attendees. Which obviously sucks from your point of view I'm afraid - as not many beginner men want to dance with men - but I can see the sense of that as a policy.

But it's still a naff name - I think, if I were a woman, the name itself would put me off applying

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    I shall apply immediately and see if my application is rejected on the basis of my sex
    What, not getting any you mean? I think that's called a fringe benefit

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Retaining more men is certainly not a bad idea - but I'm not sure what the exact differences are, if the Buddy is going to teach?

Is the Buddy supposed to have a 1-2-1 relationship with new men?* Or just to dance and coach new men specifically?

* And does anyone else find that kind of creepy in a stalker-y way?
    It certainally makes me uncomfortable so no more taxi-ing or Buddy-ing 4me

They have worded things quite cleverly "male Buddies have a role to play" very interesting

Blog Entries

They have worded things quite cleverly "male Buddies have a role to play" very interesting
    wonder what that is.?

Blog Entries

why is your sex that bad Andy, did hear something via the grapevine.

Thread Information