Thread: Round the Dance Floor in 80 Drops – 3 DVD set by Peter Phillips

Round the Dance Floor in 80 Drops – 3 DVD set by Peter Phillips

Dancing in my mother’s day was a way to get pleasantly close to lots of nice young men but with a certain safety factor – you could always walk away. This was obviously a shortcoming to all the young men who believed the whole point of the exercise was to make sure they didn’t get away . . . Hence the Seducer.

Not every guy can seduce the girl of his dreams, but it’s good practice to go through the motions – in other words: gently manoeuvre her into a position where she has no choice but gaze up into his eyes whilst hanging on to him for dear life.

With the advent of Ceroc and other modern jive groups, this art somehow became relegated to the same level as shuffling feet and waving arms, none of which established the male as the dominant master - to whom the female of the species should practice expressions of pure delight as beads of manly sweat dripped onto her from his fevered brow.

Then arose Sir Peter (well, just Peter actually, a lizard like creature with a formidable headscarf). His mission: to bring seducers back to their rightful place on the dancefloor! Although he has never been certified for this strange affliction, his company, Drop in Jive teaches these and nothing else.

Peter might have known that asking me to review his DVDs for my website when I’m a fruit-and-nutcake addict to the Kiwi Method is like being put into a death drop at double speed and no hands. (Peter kindly refers to this particular move as a ‘nosebleeder’, which inclines me to think he has not hit the floor hard enough yet). In reality though, I, like many Ceroccers before and after me, once made the lonely pilgrimage to Peter’s windswept town, amazed that someone could find enough drops to fill a whole day’s workshop.

There were some sound problems on the review copy of the DVDs - they were clear enough but breathing into the microphone was also very audible. Not sure if this is to be fixed on the retail copies (which should also have lists of the moves on the covers). There's also some fabulous freestyle (non-drops) moves in the opening and closing freestyle sequences.

Drop in Jive have been teaching drops, and nothing but drops, in their inimitable style for many years and so have become something of an institution in Britain. Some would say they epitomise the British jive style when it comes to drops. Many find the style of the Australasian videos far too serious (and there are few other videos that teach drops); others just want a straightforward introduction to something more exotic than a first move seducer. This moves-packed set of DVDs/videos doesn't spend much time on theory, technique or style, but it introduces you to a large number of dips, drops and seducers (about 80 in all) in standard Leroc / Ceroc format from basic to complex ones. If you like Peter's classes these DVDs are a must.

My mother would be horrified . . .

Send £35 for 3 DVD's + £2 P&P payable to:
    Peter Phillips
    65 Great Cliffe Road
    Eastbourne
    East Sussex
    BN23 7BA
    0776-735-8079
    dropinnjive@btinternet.com

NB: The lovely Alina has locked Peter in the cellar until he burns sufficient copies, so if you want one of the first batch, send your cheque off now!
    Last edited by Chris; 13th-August-2003 at 04:46 AM.

Blog Entries
    For those of us who have only recently managed to release a grip of steel on our lovely betamaxes and have absolutely no desire for a DVD - are VHS tapes also available?

C

The Forum Legend
    Don't be silly.

We've moved out of the stone-age now.

Steve

PS. I'm sure that Peter will do his best to accomodate you. He's like that!

Originally posted by Chicklet
    For those of us who have only recently managed to release a grip of steel on our lovely betamaxes and have absolutely no desire for a DVD - are VHS tapes also available?

C
    Yes - sorry I forgot to mention that - there's video versions available at the same price I think.

Because the moves are overlaid on the picture, it's also nice and easy to flick through and find the bit you want.

There's some really exciting moves on this set - hope this came over (late night review written and posted before my tired brain identified the difference between 'preview' and 'submit' buttons)

Re: Round the Dance Floor in 80 Drops – 3 DVD set by Peter Phillips

Originally posted by Chris
    Drop in Jive have been teaching drops, and nothing but drops, in their inimitable style for many years <snip>
    Peter's corrected me - apparently he often covers at Hipsters when Nigel is away and will be teaching and DJing on 2nd Sept while they are at beach boogie. Unbeknown to me he also teaches modern jive classes regularly that don't include drops.

<conversation with myself mode off>

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Chicklet

C
    You mean theres something more up to date than Betamax ?
    You'll be telling me next that they've found something to replace vinyl.....

Originally posted by TheTramp
    Don't be silly.

We've moved out of the stone-age now.

Steve

PS. I'm sure that Peter will do his best to accomodate you. He's like that!

That goes without saying

Yes they are available on video (VHS!), but instead of repeating the move loads of times and lengthy descriptions of each move I have made it Zapper friendly and with DVD's slow motion or pause does not blur the screen.

Yes I am burning them myself to keep costs down

Locked in a cellar by Alina...last time I tell anyone my secrets

Originally posted by Chicklet: are VHS tapes also available?

Chicklet unless you recently purchased your video recorder you should go and have a wee look at DVD players. I guarantee that once you have got a Dance DVD to play with (mines are ordered) you will quickly change over. One flick of a button and you have instant change to another clip or whatever. They are now by far the fastest selling format ever and in less than five years have mass produced in numbers to get the price below £100. i saw one in safeway for £50.00. Must admit i wouldnt go that low.

Not sure how these DVDS from Peter Philiphs are going to be like but as someone fairly new to ceroc i shall let others know in the forum how i found them. (waiting patiently Peter)
    Michael

Mr. Lizard, am i right in thinking that you will be teaching the tuesday advanced class at Hipsters this week??

If so will you be bringing copies of your dvd to the venue?

I would like a copy you see but i have held off sending off the cheque incase you bring some with you

Originally posted by Paul F
    Mr. Lizard, am i right in thinking that you will be teaching the tuesday advanced class at Hipsters this week??

If so will you be bringing copies of your dvd to the venue?

I would like a copy you see but i have held off sending off the cheque incase you bring some with you
    Hi
    yes I will be teaching and doing the DJ'ing, will bring DVD
    PP

Gotta say, what a dvd. Just watched all of the moves.....and god there are a lot.

Awesome. you could never want any more drops/leans/seducers. They range from the simpler more seductive seducers and simpler drops that (carefully) you could try out with the ladies consent......to absolutely amazing and increadibly complex ones that you would try ONLY with a (brave) partner

There is definately something for everyone here. Great as an instructional media or to keep as a reference.

and for £35

Thread Information