Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wouldn't this forum be less tedious if .....

Wouldn't this forum be less tedious if .....

.... certain individuals didn't take every opportunity to discredit things that other organisations do and in the process make themselves look better ?

Would you criticise your friends for being the way they want to do things? Would you criticise your partner for being the way they are?

One wonders what else could be the purpose of this constant nickpicking. The world is as it is, so be it. By the same reasoning, I doubt that this trend will stop - anyway, where else would they beat their little drum?

YAWN YAWN

Re: Wouldn't this forum be less tedious if .....

Quote Originally Posted by Raul View Post
    .... certain individuals didn't take every opportunity to discredit things that other organisations do and in the process make themselves look better ?
    Of course it would Raul, but then there wouldn't be a forum... Some of the people on here don't really have a life (there are of course notable exceptions ), so they fill it by 'partcipating' in discussions about things they really know very little about. It makes those particular individuals feel important and that's addictive to them because no-one really pays any attention to them in real life. They probably have bad jobs or bad relationships or low self esteem - lets face it if you have an active and fulfilling life where would you find the time to post thousands and thousands of inane comments?

It's a 'false' community, but they feel they belong... when they log on at the beginning of the day they trawl the threads and see if they can make a comment...anything...just to be noticed. Some use it to reaffirm to themselves that they are 'funny' or 'clever' and you only have to have a brief look at a thread to see who they are. The same names crop up time and time again...

On the flip side, there are some forumites who post sensible and reasoned remarks and actually the forum is a wonderful source of information on events, music and dance culture.

In the end it only represents less than around 1% of the MJ dance scene so there's little wonder that some organizations don't take it too seriously.

As for me, I like banter and I like to wind people up, it's part of my rebellious nature, which is why I guess I've been welcomed with open arms..

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Some of the people on here don't really have a life (there are of course notable exceptions ), so they fill it by 'partcipating' in discussions about things they really know very little about. It makes those particular individuals feel important and that's addictive to them because no-one really pays any attention to them in real life. They probably have bad jobs or bad relationships or low self esteem
    Wow, thats an amazing admission I never thought I'd hear from you Can I just say, you ARE appreciated and you DO have friends on here. Please, don't ever stop posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Wow, thats an amazing admission I never thought I'd hear from you Can I just say, you ARE appreciated and you DO have friends on here. Please, don't ever stop posting.
    It's a 'false' community, but they feel they belong... when they log on at the beginning of the day they trawl the threads and see if they can make a comment...anything...just to be noticed. Some use it to reaffirm to themselves that they are 'funny' or 'clever' and you only have to have a brief look at a thread to see who they are. The same names crop up time and time again...
    .... 'nuff said? DS 7,283 posts.... keeeerrrrching

The same names crop up time and time again...

Guilty as charged m'lud !

However, Like Raul I have noticed people do like to "stick the knife in" rival operations nit-pick over bouncy hands or non bouncy hands, and there is a tendency for some people to basically imply "Your organisation is Sh*t and so are your dancers"

Fortunately some of us are middle of the road sort of chaps (and ladies) and Don't fuel the bickering. Its like that kids program (the name escapes me) where feral kids all formed various tribes and set off to carve their name on the world. You have your WCswingers. Your Lindyhoppers etc etc all saying that their way is the right way and anyone who disagree's with them is a heretic. Then you have other parties who try and provoke a response from the moderators with every utterance.. continually pushing at the boundarys to see how much they can get away with. Then there's the egotistical, the ones who proclaim to be sages with immense knowledge and spew forth reams of their instructions and how they think Blues/the first move/etc should be banned.. because they know better obviously.

Then you have the mindless drivel merchants (this is the category that I fall into.. I'm not picking on anyone.. I'm Mr middle of the road remember) The people that add nothing to the forum and take up screen space. and lastly you have the opinionated.. those who cannot get their heads round other peoples belief systems. Be they atheist/Mormon/jedi/lawyers/aromatherapists/or feng shui practitioners.

I find the continual bickering a pain too.. I try not to contribute to the arguments, I tend not to make sarcastic comments like others might (although I do occasionally make little digs at people.. but all done with no malice or spite) I do however just add to the background white noise and hope .. occasionally.. to say something of worth. It's the blunderbuss effect.. a wide enough spread with enough pellets and something has to hit eventually

I try not to let the bickering annoy me.. I can chose not to get worked up by threads. I can chose not to read threads, and if the worst comes to the worst I can chose to ignore people. Although I don't have many people on my ignore list.. if any actually. (I'm probably on half the people who read this forums ignore list actually.. so if your reading this then I'm thankful you've not blacked me out... yet )

hehe

Pete
    Last edited by Beowulf; 23rd-June-2007 at 11:45 PM.

there are some forumites who post sensible and reasoned remarks and actually the forum is a wonderful source of information on events, music and dance culture.
    True but many are put off by the pettiness and cheap bashing in some of the dance discussion threads. The forum is becoming more a source of information on events and music and is getting less focussed on 'dance culture'.

As for me, I like banter and I like to wind people up
    Really ? We haven't noticed!

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post

I have noticed people do like to "stick the knife in" rival operations #

all saying that their way is the right way and anyone who disagree's with them is a heretic.#

other parties who try and provoke a response from the moderators with every utterance#

there's the egotistical, the ones who proclaim to be sages with immense knowledge #

you have the mindless drivel merchants #

and lastly you have the opinionated..#
    I think that you have covered everybody!
    Last edited by Raul; 24th-June-2007 at 02:27 AM.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

.... 'nuff said? DS 7,283 posts.... keeeerrrrching
    You posted a beautiful sincere post and I think you realise your mistake, but it won't work - the mask has irrevocably slipped. You can try to get back to your usual boorish style, but we all know that your admission was heartfelt - it took real guts to make an admission like that, and I for one, really appreciate it

Theres no need to have low self esteem on here - you ARE appreciated. If its a cry for help, we ARE listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Raul View Post
    Ignoring the tedious sniping between DS and Rocky, I thought I'd address this question.

My answer, is no, the forum wouldn't be less tedious as firstly, the forum isn't especially tedious anyway, and secondly, people trying to discredit "other organisations" doesn't happen that often, and those that do usually end up making themselves look worse.

If you find "certain individuals" tedious, you can always add them to your ignore list.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    My answer, is no, the forum wouldn't be less tedious as firstly, the forum isn't especially tedious anyway,

If you find "certain individuals" tedious, you can always add them to your ignore list.

Freedom of expression is important, if I don't want to participate in a thread then I have the right to choose not to rather than not being given the opportunity. A caveat to this of course is where topics are likely to cause offence and the rights of other people are being ignored, but I understand that the forum have rules for this anyway.
    Last edited by rubyred; 24th-June-2007 at 12:54 PM.

You posted a beautiful sincere post and I think you realise your mistake, but it won't work - the mask has irrevocably slipped. You can try to get back to your usual boorish style, but we all know that your admission was heartfelt - it took real guts to make an admission like that, and I for one, really appreciate it

Theres no need to have low self esteem on here - you ARE appreciated. If its a cry for help, we ARE listening.
    ...lets face it if you have an active and fulfilling life where would you find the time to post thousands and thousands of inane comments?
    DS - 7,284 and counting...

It's lovely that your sooo predictable DS.

edited/deleted post:

(I should know that its bad form to comment about rep points.) Makes sense
    Last edited by Raul; 24th-June-2007 at 01:24 PM.

Blog Entries

... people stopped whining about other people's posts and got a life instead?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    ... people stopped whining about other people's posts and got a life instead?
    ...a very good point indeed

Ducasi: tedious ? moi ? but i have a bad job, a bad relationship and low self esteem - not you say i'm tedious? I hate you

Of course it would Raul, but then there wouldn't be a forum...(snip)
    Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post

... people stopped whining about other people's posts
    ooops. Guilty!

Commercial Operator

Well - dance being the extremely emotive area that it is, I think a lot of debate and argument (some quite heated) is pretty much inevitable, nitpicking and all (and my apologies for the fact that I'm very much guilty on that score) - and it's usually something to be welcomed, I feel.

What I really don't like to see is just how often these debates stoop down to the personal insult level. Judicious use of the ignore facility has helped a great deal with this, but it's impossible to completely escape it.

My belief is that it is a) completely unecessary, and b) in my opinion the single most detrimental factor on the atmosphere of the forum.

Ducasi: tedious ? moi ? but i have a bad job, a bad relationship and low self esteem - not you say i'm tedious? I hate you
    I said tedious sniping – hate the sin, love the sinner.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Wouldn't this forum be less tedious if ..... there weren't threads criticising others for being critical... or people putting forward an argument about others arguing.

Live and let live........ if you don't like someones point of view put your own... if you don't like a thread stop reading it. Stop trying to restrict others enjoying themselves. It might not be your cup of tea but it will be others.

There is enough room for all of us on here.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by under par View Post
    Wouldn't this forum be less tedious if ..... there weren't threads criticising others for being critical...
    Not to mention posts criticising those who criticise others for being critical.

(or people complaining about posts criticising those who criticise others for being critical)

(or .....

I'll get me coat.

....not you say i'm tedious? I hate you
    ?? Of course it would help if you could string a coherent sentence together.. Looking forward to to the 8,000th inane post sometime soon DS.

Thread Information