Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Bank Notes

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

New Bank Notes

So what do we all think of the new bank notes ?

The £50 has the Falkirk Wheel on it No £1 notes though I noticed, but then i read that its only The Royal Bank of Scotland that still issues them.

(I still use £1 notes in England to annoy shopkeepers* and of course I'll look forward to having these new notes refused in England as usual )

I didn't realise the Bank of Scotland was the first bank to issue notes in Europe !

* it annoys them if you have already eaten/drank/licked your purchase

Re: New Bank Notes

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post

(I still use £1 notes in England to annoy shopkeepers* and of course I'll look forward to having these new notes refused in England as usual )
    I annoy Scottich shopkeepers by saying to them " Do you accept English money?"

They respond by ranting for 5 minutes about "it's you lot who do not accept our money etc etc." - works every time.

So what do we all think of the new bank notes ?
    I think you guys missed the most important change on your notes... i.e. replacing the '£' by a '€'

Quote Originally Posted by Raul View Post
    I annoy Scottich shopkeepers by saying to them " Do you accept English money?"

They respond by ranting for 5 minutes about "it's you lot who do not accept our money etc etc." - works every time.
    It's Scottish, unless they were small shopkeepers

Wonder if you would have been the same type of person I used to keep Northern Ireland notes for then. Worked in a supermarket and during the tourist season would get the usual moaners (as opposed to windup merchants) complaining about our "funny money". If possible gave them NI sterling, which really confused them at which point I had already shut the till and couldn't open it until the next transaction. Then could innocently say "it is sterling" That reaction was usually quite entertaining

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    I think you guys missed the most important change on your notes... i.e. replacing the '£' by a '€'

if only - we should've changed to the Euro years ago

yeah right

I annoy Scottish shopkeepers by saying to them " Do you accept English money?"

yeah right
    Dinna ye mean "Aye Right?"

anyway offer a Scot any money and he'll take it.. there's a nasty rumour floating around that copper wire was invented by two Scotsmen fighting over a penny

Have never met a Scot who didn't accept instantly any English notes.. the other way around however? I've had my money turned down a few times in Englandshire..

Rosyth, just over the bridge from Edinburgh

Bank of England notes are issued by the central bank of the United Kingdom. They are not English notes. Still absurd that it's called the Bank of England, even if it is one more of those historical idiosyncracies that make our country interesting (or part of a cunning plot by the English to do down the other parts of the Union, depending on your viewpoint.)

Quote Originally Posted by AllanMcC View Post
    Bank of England notes are issued by the central bank of the United Kingdom. They are not English notes. Still absurd that it's called the Bank of England, even if it is one more of those historical idiosyncracies that make our country interesting (or part of a cunning plot by the English to do down the other parts of the Union, depending on your viewpoint.)
    Interesting point. The Scottish notes are probably issued from the central bank as well.
    "Bank of England" - "The Royal Bank of Scotland". You have a grander name on your notes!(or part of a cunning plot by the Scots to do down the other parts of the Union, depending on your viewpoint.)

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Interesting point. The Scottish notes are probably issued from the central bank as well.
    "Bank of England" - "The Royal Bank of Scotland". You have a grander name on your notes!(or part of a cunning plot by the Scots to do down the other parts of the Union, depending on your viewpoint.)
    Its "Bank of Scotland", not "Royal Bank", notes we're talking about here so its not grander at all, and as this bank was the first to issue notes in all of europe theres no question of any cunning plots

I’m probably going to get shot down for this but…

I had always been led to believe that Scottish bank notes were legal tender in England. However a couple of years ago I met a man on a train on the way back from Scotland who worked for the Treasury, and who was most adamant that they were not – something to do with English notes being issued by the Bank of England which is a government and regulatory body, and the Scottish ones being issued by the Royal Bank of Scotland (and one other, can’t remember which) which are actually commercial banks.

I thought before I posted this I’d better do a quick spot of research and discovered that:

Scottish Banknotes are legal currency – i.e. they are approved by the UK Parliament. However, Scottish Bank notes are not Legal Tender, not even in Scotland.

And was even more surprised to discover that:

Interestingly, no notes from any bank - including the Bank of England – are legal tender in Scotland. Only the £1 and £2 coins are legal tender there.

So guess you'd better all reinforce your pockets!

Haven't seen a £1 note down here in the south for years - I suspect that any shopkeeper you tried to give one to, even in the bigger shops, would laugh at you.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    However a couple of years ago I met a man on a train on the way back from Scotland who worked for the Treasury, and who was most adamant that they were not – something to do with English notes being issued by the Bank of England which is a government and regulatory body, and the Scottish ones being issued by the Royal Bank of Scotland (and one other, can’t remember which) which are actually commercial banks.
    "I work for the treasury" I've used that line myself There are 3 Banks in Scotland (Royal & Bank of Scotland and the Clydesdale) that issue notes. There are 4 in Northern Ireland and then there are the Channel Island ones and any other "colony" countries that we still have (Gibraltar? er..)

All notes produced are "Pounds Sterling". Even so, there is no reason why anyone has to accept anything as real money unless they can identify it as such ...i.e. they are used to it - so i think the concept of "legal tender" is a bit of a red herring, its purely whether the person who is taking the money wants to take it or not

Haven't seen a £1 note down here in the south for years - I suspect that any shopkeeper you tried to give one to, even in the bigger shops, would laugh at you.
    On the contrary, the Bank of Scotland notes have a bit of blue in them and are generally accepted without question as fivers (Im not a bad person, the 2 times this happened I pointed out they were £1 notes)
    Last edited by Dreadful Scathe; 26th-June-2007 at 10:19 PM.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes, Wikipedia agrees with you (so it must be right ) -
    Legal tender - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Scottish and Northern Ireland banknotes, and Jersey, Guernsey, Manx and Gibraltar coinage and banknotes are not legal tender in England and Wales. However, they are not illegal under English law and creditors and traders may accept them if they so choose.
    Scots law also seems to be different in this area:
    [ legal tender ] is largely irrelevant, however, as creditors are obliged to accept any 'reasonable' settlement of the debt
    Hmmm, there goes another urban myth...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

again, something I said in my previous post - I think everyone has me on ignore....I'll go then <exits>

Blog Entries

Hmmm, did someone post something in between post 12 and this one?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    [ legal tender ] is largely irrelevant, however, as creditors are obliged to accept any 'reasonable' settlement of the debt
    Hmmm, there goes another urban myth...
    I wonder what constitutes "reasonable".

In particular, I wonder if Euros are reasonable...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

The only reasonable thing is to take English bank notes.

Welsh notes, Scotish notes, Ireland notes, Cornish notes, Monopoly notes and those strange Europe thingies... ditch them.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

ooh your knowledge is fantastic Wales does not issue notes, Ireland is in the Euro and a seperate country, Monopoly is a game and the Cornish live in England. Try again Oz-boy.

Blog Entries

Who said that?

Ah, I knew I could find a suitably iconic, witty and serious post to mark 10K

ooh your knowledge is fantastic Wales does not issue notes, Ireland is in the Euro and a seperate country, Monopoly is a game and the Cornish live in England. Try again Oz-boy.
    hmmmm, maybe you missed my sense of humour --- never mind, to catch that one, you first need sense.... and then humour...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    hmmmm, maybe you missed my sense of humour --- never mind, to catch that one, you first need sense.... and then humour...
    i think perhaps you missed mine maybe the problem is that neither of us is funny

Thread Information