Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Ceroc now just WCS in disguise ?

Re: Is Ceroc now just WCS in disguise ?

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Again, speaking just for Lindy - I think I do see how the perception can be formed, but it is very misleading. Lindy is generally danced to swing, sure, but the speeds can vary from (at one extreme) 50BPM, or even slower, up to (at the other) 250 or more (if you're good enough).

'Subset' of moves... not really - the moves one can do are (within reason) only limited by ones imagination and dance ability - much like MJ (except that Lindy is much more geared towards improvisation & making moves up on the fly).

Mmmm. I think you can pretty much do Lindy to anything you could MJ to, and certainly the potential speed range is much much greater in Lindy. The question is whether you want to - I find comparatively little satisfaction these days in dancing to music that doesn't have at least some of the richness and complexity of good swing. Spoiled by too much good music - but that's a door which, once opened, can never be closed....
    On reflection I think the route of it for me is the music. In both countries it was generally fast - 140BPM upwards - with an occasional slower track. And - the style of the music just took you back to the 1930's/40's - sometime 50's. It would have been unspeakable to dare to play anything from, say, the 1990's let alone - present day - even modern interpretations of swing (eg. my fav. Michael Bubbles) were off limits.

PS I am always interested to get recommendation for good/rich/complex swing based music. Let me know (PM if u have time) any of your favs.

Re: Is Ceroc now just WCS in disguise ?

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Mmmm. I think you can pretty much do Lindy to anything you could MJ to, and certainly the potential speed range is much much greater in Lindy.
    Very true. Just watch what Nigel or simon Selmon do. They can Blues it with the best of them and then really turn up the heat for tracks like Zoot Suit Riot.

Nostalgia moment - THE point at which I decided I wanted to learn to dnace was around '97 at a Dance Crazy freestyle at Chiswick Town Hall. Andy & Nina and Nigel & Rena dancing like I'd never seen (before or since) .... messing about big time but at the same time showing superb technique and musical interpretation

Thread Information