Thread: Electricals on planes

Little Miss Jazz Shoes Jazz_Shoes (Ash)'s Avatar

Electricals on planes

I know I can take my moblie, mp3, camera, camcorder... but can I take straighteners? surely they don't need to go in my case?!

ash

..Did I mention i'm jettin off to NYC on saturday and leaving from Manchester airport?

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Re: Electricals on planes

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_Shoes (Ash) View Post
    but can I take straighteners? surely they don't need to go in my case?!
    Why would you want to take them on the plane with you? I'd advise taking the least amount you possibly can as hand luggage.
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Little Miss Jazz Shoes Jazz_Shoes (Ash)'s Avatar

I want to make sure I have them with me so I know they're safe

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_Shoes (Ash) View Post
    I know I can take my moblie, mp3, camera, camcorder... but can I take straighteners? surely they don't need to go in my case?!
    Only gas
    What you can take in your hand luggage
    BAA: Airport Security, 06/10/06
    Manchester Airport: Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe View Post
    Why would you want to take them on the plane with you? I'd advise taking the least amount you possibly can as hand luggage.
    I'd advise the opposite; can you even manage without taking hold luggage at all?

If it's in your hand luggage, no luggage handler can:
    steal it
    drop it and break it
    lose it
    get put on the next plane to ????? (insert random location)

Whenever I fly, everything valuable or irreplaceable always travels as hand luggage. Don't forget that you can now buy bags/mini suitcases that exactly fit the maximum permitted dimensions, so you are able to take on as much as possible. (Don't forget that if you are worried about lifting things in the overhead lockers, there are usually plenty of people around to help you).

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    [...]

Whenever I fly, everything valuable or irreplaceable always travels as hand luggage. Don't forget that you can now buy bags/mini suitcases that exactly fit the maximum permitted dimensions, so you are able to take on as much as possible. (Don't forget that if you are worried about lifting things in the overhead lockers, there are usually plenty of people around to help you).
    Don't forget also to let the captain know which side of the plane you've stowed your bag, so he can take that into account, and doesn't end flying round in a big circle.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Apparently the film was originally going to be "Electricals on a Plane", but when someone suggested that they may need some cable-tidies suddenly a whole new plot idea was born.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Whenever I fly, everything valuable or irreplaceable always travels as hand luggage.
    Fair enough. The one piece of jewellery (that I definitely don't trust to my suitcase) would be round my neck. My iPod would be in my pocket, but I'd hardly call hair straightners either particularly valuable or irreplaceable (she's going to America for heaven's sake, not the back of beyond )
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Fair enough. The one piece of jewellery (that I definitely don't trust to my suitcase) would be round my neck. My iPod would be in my pocket, but I'd hardly call hair straightners either particularly valuable or irreplaceable (she's going to America for heaven's sake, not the back of beyond )
    I forgot to mention; also remember to pack a change of clothes & some toiletries as well (although the new rules limit you a bit with what toiletries you can take with you). So if your luggage goes astray for the first couple of days of your holiday, things don't go pear shaped....

or am I unnecessarily paranoid??

ex.Brum, now in limbo somewhere in the Midlands

but I'd hardly call hair straightners either particularly valuable or irreplaceable (she's going to America for heaven's sake, not the back of beyond )
    You would if they are ghd's, I never let them out of my sight when I am travelling as they cost £100.

Quote Originally Posted by sidney View Post
    You would if they are ghd's, I never let them out of my sight when I am travelling as they cost £100.
    £100 For straighteners? Blimey, it's enough to make your hair curl!

Quote Originally Posted by Gojive View Post
    £100 For straighteners?
    Mine only cost £16.99 (in a sale, they should have been £55 allegedly) but as I use them only "every now and then" they don't rate too highly on my "things I couldn't do without" list.

When I'm travelling I really like to have as little as possible to carry as my laptop takes priority. A few airlines now restrict the amount of hand luggage to one bag, so I don't have the option of somewhere else to store all the "extras".

My suitcase is always filled to the absolute limit though (and as heavy as I'm allowed) so carrying it is enough of a struggle without another bag too

My suitcase is always filled to the absolute limit though (and as heavy as I'm allowed) so carrying it is enough of a struggle without another bag too
    I tend to travel pretty heavily if I'm going to a dance event. When I went to Barcelona a few years ago, my suitcase weighed 32kgs ..and Minnie will tell you I much I take to a weekender

I look in the warddrobe, and think I'll take this shirt...and this short...oh and this one just in case....before long, I've emptied my entire wardrobe!

When i fly (which is quite a lot these days) I always laugh inwardly when my bag goes through the scanner. I dread to think what it looks like in X-ray. PDA, MP3 Player, Portable HDD, Portable folding fullsize keyboard for PDA, Mobile Phone, Mobile phone charger (mains) , Mobile phone charger (USB), PDA charger (mains) , PDA charger (USB) , Asst USB cables etc..

I USED to pack my folding Solar panels and my hand crank charger and associated cables amd adapters but I very VERY rarely find myself anywhere that has no power supply AT ALL !! so they tend to be consigned to my desk these days.. (where they gather dust)

if I'm taking my camera , then Add to the above, Camera, Spare lens, Camera battery charger, Spare camera battery, USB card reader and spare CF cards

After packing all that it's amazing i have any space left for clothes.

All the above usually goes with me in hand luggage as I don't want it getting misplaced / broken.

I forgot to mention; also remember to pack a change of clothes & some toiletries as well (although the new rules limit you a bit with what toiletries you can take with you). So if your luggage goes astray for the first couple of days of your holiday, things don't go pear shaped....

or am I unnecessarily paranoid??
    No, I do this too. I've had luggage been delayed several times, esp when I've had connecting flights - fortunately always on the way home, but I know people who have arrived on holiday and its taken a day or more for their luggage to catch up with them.

For a dance weekender I always have a pair of dance shoes, top and shrug in my hand luggage, for a holiday I have a bikini, shorts and an extra top. In the past I would have had toiletries etc as well but with the new rules I don't bother and I'm always travelling with, or going to meet, friends so I could either borrow or buy anything like that I needed for a day or two.

Thread Information