Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ceroc Prices for freestyle only

Exclamation Re: Ceroc Prices for freestyle only

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    This is what I said earlier. Obviously the more male leads they have, the better for the new lady dancers. Plus the male leads do benefit from the intermediate classes.

I also pointed out that it is unfair for the females like Twirly Bird and I, who don't benefit from the classes.

Perhaps ladies could pay less, as when we do go in there may be loads of competition . So we could be paying £7 an hour to struggle to fill the hour with dances. We can't see the male/female ratio from home.
    On the other hand is it fair for ladies who do the class and do the work to educate the leads to have to share the results

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Ceroc Prices for freestyle only

If a "fair" system is one where gender-balancing is the goal, then one solution would be to create a differential between male / female prices, to discourage women / encourage men.

So if you had (say) 60 women and 40 men, and normally charged £5 entry, you could charge the women £6 and the men £4. Same amount of revenue, but in theory that'd encourage parity of numbers - at which point you could return the pricing to equal.

(Same sort of thing that nightclubs do with "Ladies' nights", but in reverse)

Of course, such a scheme would be both impractical and vastly disruptive, you'd probably find yourself with 0 men and 0 women in short order if you tried that...

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    On the other hand is it fair for ladies who do the class and do the work to educate the leads to have to share the results
    Point taken, but we are not supposed to back lead. However, yes they do put up with a lot and deserve plenty of dances.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post

Of course, such a scheme would be both impractical and vastly disruptive, you'd probably find yourself with 0 men and 0 women in short order if you tried that...
    You men would get the shock of your lives if there was a distinct lack of women.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    If a "fair" system is one where gender-balancing is the goal, then one solution would be to create a differential between male / female prices, to discourage women / encourage men.

So if you had (say) 60 women and 40 men, and normally charged £5 entry, you could charge the women £6 and the men £4. Same amount of revenue, but in theory that'd encourage parity of numbers - at which point you could return the pricing to equal.

(Same sort of thing that nightclubs do with "Ladies' nights", but in reverse)

Ill never forget the time when Windsor re –opened (it had gone to Slough for a few months) and it was FREE

Must have been 100 women over

Be very careful re dropping the prices for women should there be men over

On subject yes freestyle only should be cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    (Yeah, that info was for TB). If you dance in London you can buy Admit Ones - I bought 100 for £550 a few months ago. so that's £5.50 for a night out which is inexpensive.
    This seems a very expensive outlay at first sight, but you could club together with some friends and really buy in bulk. Maybe you could sell some at less than the door prices to other friends to help offset your costs a little more

Of course you could always look around for a venue that isn't as expensive in the first place

(Yeah, that info was for TB). If you dance in London you can buy Admit Ones - I bought 100 for £550 a few months ago.
    How long ago was that? Does anyone know the actual cost of 100 Central London Admit ones at present? I seem to remember that it was more than that - £600?

(until the next hike, of course. Not that i am complaining about the price for a FULL evening, it is still very good value, but the freestyle only - nah).

Point taken, but we are not supposed to back lead. However, yes they do put up with a lot and deserve plenty of dances.
    A good follower who actually follows is a hundred times more useful to a beginner leader than one who back leads.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    Should the women be educating the leads in class?

Guess this depends on how you are terming educating. I was watching a class the other night and there was this guy who was quite honestly appalling. They were doing a simple first move variation. This guy couldn't even do the first part of the first move (the bit before this is where it changes!). As the women got to him all but one were 'helping him out'. Only one women went exactly where she was led - that was very interesting and entertaining to watch.

Who helped him the most? Who educated him?

Quote Originally Posted by Twirlie Bird View Post
    Should the women be educating the leads in class?

Guess this depends on how you are terming educating.
    True. Not very strictly - mostly acting as an essential component in the lead learning.

I was watching a class the other night and there was this guy who was quite honestly appalling. They were doing a simple first move variation. This guy couldn't even do the first part of the first move (the bit before this is where it changes!). As the women got to him all but one were 'helping him out'. Only one women went exactly where she was led - that was very interesting and entertaining to watch.

I'd say it probably depends on him* who helped him most, but as a whole the ladies of the class are educating him. Some ladies may individually not be helping, but as a whole he is likely to be learning even if very slowly - which wouldn't happen without the ladies.

* For me sometimes backleading is helpful, if more often unhelpful.

If he did not know what figure or move that he was supposed to lead, then the back leader helped him to understand what he had to achieve - knowing the objective is the first part of the learning. If he knew and was in the process of learning to lead, then the backleader gave him misleading feedback on his ability to lead by himself - doing what you have to do well, is the second part.

Quote Originally Posted by Raul View Post
    If he did not know what figure or move that he was supposed to lead, then the back leader helped him to understand what he had to achieve - knowing the objective is the first part of the learning. If he knew and was in the process of learning to lead, then the backleader gave him misleading feedback on his ability to lead by himself - doing what you have to do well, is the second part.
    The leader has to know what he/she is trying to lead before they have any chance of leading it. A class can be very intimidating and confusing for a first timer. If you have lost the plot then a partner just standing there looking at you can be a terminal experience. I have seen newcomers leave the floor and be gone by the end of the lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    The leader has to know what he/she is trying to lead before they have any chance of leading it. A class can be very intimidating and confusing for a first timer. If you have lost the plot then a partner just standing there looking at you can be a terminal experience. I have seen newcomers leave the floor and be gone by the end of the lesson.
    I agree to some extent, though in this case if the move was a "first move variation", then this wasn't a beginner's class.

When I am learning a move, I'll usually first do it by getting the shape right, and only then will I properly lead it. I suppose I expect my follower to do similar, stepping through and then when I am leading, following my lead.

While some amount of back-lead might be helpful if I am having trouble getting the shape right, I'd prefer none at all compared to any when I'm actually trying to lead.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    The leader has to know what he/she is trying to lead before they have any chance of leading it.
    Again.

If I get someone in class who is struggling, and I know what is going on (beginners or intermediates), I'll let him lead me first, and see how much, if anything, he gets. If it's nothing at all, then I'll ASK if he wants me to walk him through it. If he does, then I'll do so, then ask him to lead me - it's the only way he'll remember it. But as others are saying, my efforts will give him the "shape" of the move, allow him to feel where he's supposed to be going.

Of course all this depends on how long the teacher gives each couple to go through the move and how many times with each partner. Sometimes you simply don't get the chance, and I think that this can disrupt the learning process as well. Having one run through of something complex with one partner isn't enough.

One thing I've noticed in intermediates about myself of late though, is that the leads seem more able... or is it just that I'm getting easier to lead

Maybe a sliding scale based on looks, gender, age and dance ability?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Are you trying to put Ceroc out of business?!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Think you'd qualify to get in free Martin?

On another thead, name and praise, there is a link for Bristol, Chippenham, Wooton Bassett and Swindon Ceroc - £7 to go in, then £3 at 10pm.
    Close at 11pm, so that's £3 an hour, a fairer charge than £7 an hour in London.
    Also students pay only £4.50 for the whole night.
    Last edited by Astro; 20th-June-2007 at 05:21 PM.

Think you'd qualify to get in free Martin?

On another thead, name and praise, there is a link for Bristol and Swindon - £8 to go in, then £3 at 10pm.
    Close at 11pm, so that's £3 an hour, a fairer charge than £7 an hour in London.
    On my recommendation, I would pay $100 for one evening!!!

Fortunately no-one listens to me

Below are a few ways to get discount Ceroc dancing in your area. Most operators have something similar.
    Roving Members Card
    Saver Card
    Introductory Discount Scheme
    I will have to look more carefully into these sorts of schemes in the local area, although there are some independants who charge considerably less for considerably more. Unfortuanately the schemes you link to are no use to me, as like many midlanders, I am unable to dance at Ceroc Midland venues

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    Unfortuanately the schemes you link to are no use to me, as like many midlanders, I am unable to dance at Ceroc Midland venues
    Why? What about Nantwich? It's only £6 for the whole evening plus you get in free if you sign up a new member. Or, if you win the free raffle you get in free the following week.

Why? What about Nantwich? It's only £6 for the whole evening plus you get in free if you sign up a new member. Or, if you win the free raffle you get in free the following week.
    Yup ... first prize is one weeks admission, second prize is months admission Just ask StokieBloke if he would actualy want to go to Nantwich ... or whether they would have to pay him!

Thread Information