Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hows your been?

Re: Hows your been?

I'm on the TPS, but I still get calls from companies doing "surveys". I just say "nope, not interested, thanks" and hang up. I am polite, but I don't allow myself to be held on the phone for a moment longer. For the calls which just start silent, I hang up immediately.

I also hang up on mobile phone companies claiming to be Orange (my actual network provider) when in fact they are not – they are resellers trying to get commission.

I almost hung up on a computer that phoned my last week. I thought it was going to be yet another foreign "you have won a prize" rip-off, but it turned out to be by credit card company checking the validity of a transaction!
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Agree that a polite 'no thanks' and hang up is probably the best method. It gets rid of them.

But it really, really annoys me that they call in the first place. They are extremely intrusive and if I think too much about it I get very angry. How dare some company phone my private number and try to sell me something? I especially feel for people who are waiting on a crucial call from a hospital, or have just been bereaved and who get these calls.

TPS has worked for me, but hope I don't start to get the international calls now if TPS doesn't apply for them.

I have just registered with PTS so lets see what happens.

Kind of feel sorry for the people that do these jobs as they must get so much abuse each day.

Quote Originally Posted by Missy D View Post
    I know somewhere on here there is a thread about nuisance calls from Asian call centres but I cant find it.

I am so fed up with calls that go something like this:-

ring! ring! I pick up the phone and there is a few seconds silence followed by "good evening Miss Adams and hows your been" (or is it hows my bin).
    You have my sympathy! I posted a lot about this when Lory had a similar problem - here - I've had a lot of problems too.

There is nothing you or BT or other UK phone companies can do. I do highly recommend that you get caller ID and annonymous calling barred though - it stopped a lot of my calls, and I can see which ones are international.

However, one thing to add to my previous advice, particularly regarding the answering machine getting full - I recently got a new phone (a Panasonic cordless digital with answering machine) and although it still registers that there has been a call, it doesn't record a message, not even a blank one. So I don't have that problem, or the disappointment of thinking that there is a nice message from a friend on the phone.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Missy D View Post
    I have just registered with PTS so lets see what happens.

Kind of feel sorry for the people that do these jobs as they must get so much abuse each day.

Sensible comment!

They probably do not have the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    There is nothing you or BT or other UK phone companies can do. I do highly recommend that you get caller ID and annonymous calling barred though - it stopped a lot of my calls, and I can see which ones are international.
    I resent the fact that I would have to pay £1 a month for caller ID – that's a lot of money for a phone company to push a button once.

Anonymous call barring sounds good, and the fact that it would block all calls from my work makes it sound even better. Wish I had thought of it before!

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    However, one thing to add to my previous advice, particularly regarding the answering machine getting full - I recently got a new phone (a Panasonic cordless digital with answering machine) and although it still registers that there has been a call, it doesn't record a message, not even a blank one. So I don't have that problem, or the disappointment of thinking that there is a nice message from a friend on the phone.
    I have a digital cordless answering machine, but I turned it off as I was sick of getting blank calls. I figure if anyone needs to get in touch with me they'll either call my mobile, or call back when I'm home.

Quote Originally Posted by Raul View Post
    Until you get hit on the dance floor by some guys who want your number !

Watch out Nebula, they could be selling your number to some dodgy companies!
    I think I can differ where the man is interested or where he just wants my number for nefarious purposes. If I met you in person, would I trust you if you were to ask my number? Hmmmm..............

Registered User SeriouslyAddicted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    I resent the fact that I would have to pay £1 a month for caller ID – that's a lot of money for a phone company to push a button once.
    Not sure you do have to pay if you are with BT. The standard package automatically gives you one of their services - the 1471 option is standard. I simply opted out of the 1471 thing and picked caller ID instead. Was a few years back now though so may have changed but might be worth asking.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriouslyAddicted View Post
    Not sure you do have to pay if you are with BT. [...]
    I'm with Virgin Media – there are mixed blessings, but free caller ID isn't one of them.

Thread Information