Thread: Alternative weekenders?

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Alternative weekenders?

I've heard quite a few people I know are going on a fitness weekender to Camber this weekend, my sister's gym mates are all going and a few forumites too..

My next-door neighbours go to Chess weekenders at Camber (I bet they're a bundle of laughs )

I know there's Rockabilly, Line-dance and Soul weekenders too!

So, who goes on 'alternative' weekenders, what are they and what are they like compared to an MJ weekender?

Talking to a certain forumite, who shall remain nameless. He said the 'fitness people' are total adrenaline junkies, they work hard but they party hard too ... apparently the after party party's are totally wild. Quote, I saw more goings on in one weekend, in one chalet, than i've seen in my entire life time.. and I lived in Sydney for 2 years!!!! (that bad then )

My only experiences of any other weekenders was when I was 15 and 16 (YES, I know, that's terrible )...

I went on the very first ever SOUL weekenders, at Caister in Norfolk... My friend and I lied to our parents about everything and amazingly got away with it .. I told my parents we were staying with her grandparents in their Caravan and mum even dropped us off at the coach station! (good old mum )

How we survived, i'll never know!

The DJ line up was Robbie Vincent, Chris Hill, Greg Edwards, Chris Brown, Jeff Young, Tom Holland and Froggy to name but a few.

When we arrived at the camp on 20th April 1979 (I still have my diary which I wrote in religiously that year.. but I can't remember the what the codes stand for anymore ) It was freezing, I mean sub zero and if you think the chalets at Camber are bad, they're sheer luxury compared!!!

I also remember inside the venues being like a sauna.. we would cool off outside the venue for a little while and literally watching the steam coming off us, like race horses after running the grand national!

The music was awesome.... the all new Earth Wind and Fire, Billy Paul, Al Hudson, Mcfadden and Whitehead and new street funk, were played so loud that it hurt your chest (which was good!) It was so exciting!

By the end of the weekend, everyone who attended were affectionately renamed by Chris Hill, THE FAMILY!

'Ain't no stopping us now' became our anthem!

The one major downside for me was, THE WATER FIGHTS, it was impossible to get from your chalet to the venue without getting soaked and I literally ran out of clothes and I remember crying with the cold!

Sorry, went on a bit there.. re-living some fond memories!
    Last edited by Lory; 15th-June-2007 at 01:03 PM.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Re: Alternative weekenders!

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    (edited)
    The DJ line up was Robbie Vincent, Chris Hill, Greg Edwards, Chris Brown, Jeff Young, Tom Holland and Froggy to name but a few.

The music was awesome.... the all new Earth Wind and Fire, Billy Paul, Al Hudson, Mcfadden and Whitehead and new street funk, were played so loud that it hurt your chest (which was good!) It was so exciting!

'Ain't no stopping us now' became our anthem!
    MASSIVE RESPEK.
    Big shout out to to Lory.
    1 luv, Mike.

I didn't know you were a soul girl Lory.

I've been to 2 Prestatyn Soul weekenders, years ago. Loved it.

Lately I've been on a Warner Break weekend (jump, jive and Boogie). Very different from your Camber or your Southport.

Nice hotels, no kids, great food, indoor pool, spa and beauty salon, 3 live bands every night and lessons during the day (MJ, rock & Roll, Lindy, Salsa).

The only down side to Warners is that the customers are average age about 50, even so..those old codgers can swing their pants....!

This sounds great, see there are a few and all cost less then dancing

e.g

-----------------------

Fitness Fiesta
    5th-7th October 2007
    Camber Sands,
    East Sussex.

With prices starting at less than £50.00 per person you can enjoy a whole weekend of fitness and fun with the U.K.’s top presenters and instructors who will entertain and motivate you plus self-catering accommodation and evening entertainment all included in the price.

The choice of classes is so large that you can plan your weekend programme to suite your own fitness level. There’s something for everyone from beginners to fitness enthusiasts so you can make your weekend as challenging or relaxing as you wish.
    -----------------------------------

im there next time

Re: Alternative weekenders?

Have been to 2 Rhythmriot weekenders at Camber (www.rhythmriot.com) and am hoping to do my 3rd this year (am trying to convince Captain Fantastic and Rebecca to join me for that one )

It's a 40's-50's weekend so at first I was a bit concerned abut fitting in dancewise and in general, but they're FAB. Minnie M got me into them as they're her favourite weekender

No workshops but lots of old style live bands until the wee early hours, vintage shopping, vintage car cruise, car boot sale and lots and lots of dancing! People tend to dress the part (even during the day) which really helps the atmosphere.

It attracts a large French crowd from over the pond, and most of them are fabulous dancers that can deal with MJ style followers so that's a huge bonus Made some great contracts with a few of them so in retrun they introduced me to some excellent venues in Paris (see Paris dancing thread)

Roll on November!

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchginger View Post
    Have been to 2 Rhythmriot weekenders at Camber (www.rhythmriot.com) and am hoping to do my 3rd this year (am trying to convince Captain Fantastic and Rebecca to join me for that one )

It's a 40's-50's weekend so at first I was a bit concerned abut fitting in dancewise and in general, but they're FAB. Minnie M got me into them as they're her favourite weekender

No workshops but lots of old style live bands until the wee early hours, vintage shopping, vintage car cruise, car boot sale and lots and lots of dancing! People tend to dress the part (even during the day) which really helps the atmosphere.

It attracts a large French crowd from over the pond, and most of them are fabulous dancers that can deal with MJ style followers so that's a huge bonus Made some great contracts with a few of them so in retrun they introduced me to some excellent venues in Paris (see Paris dancing thread)

Roll on November!

I love it - so nice to be able to listen and dance to great music and not think about classes.

BTW it is a haven for DJs as there are National & International CD stalls with an amazing selection of CDs and Vinyl

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

People tend to dress the part (even during the day) which really helps the atmosphere.
    You've just reminded me...

At Breeze last October, we shared the venue with a couple of other weekenders, one was Line dance and the other was some Battle reinactment society)

As we approached the camp, we were suddenly confronted with loads of men walking down the street, wearing full Southern American gear, large hats, boots with spurs and some were even carrying riffles... this was in the middle of the afternoon!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    BTW it is a haven for DJs as there are National & International CD stalls with an amazing selection of CDs and Vinyl
    Keep going Minnie........you'll get me there yet .........

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I went on the very first ever SOUL weekenders, at Caister in Norfolk... My friend and I lied to our parents about everything and amazingly got away with it .. I told my parents we were staying with her grandparents in their Caravan and mum even dropped us off at the coach station! (good old mum )
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I didn't know you were a soul girl Lory.
    I've been to 2 Prestatyn Soul weekenders, years ago. Loved it.
    I love that music style!
    I just wish I was old enough to have been around at the time
    (Gav runs and hides)

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon View Post
    Keep going Minnie........you'll get me there yet .........
    Come DD you know you want to I can just see Irene dressed in that sexy 40's gear (stocking & suspenders and figure hugging suits)

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

purplehyacinth

IVFDF!!!! http://www.ivfdf.org/

Every kind of dancing you can think of (ok a fair number of them are folk dances but good fun nevertheless) and then some!

Have been to 2 Rhythmriot weekenders at Camber (Rhythm Riot!) and am hoping to do my 3rd this year (am trying to convince Captain Fantastic and Rebecca to join me for that one )
    I'm gutted at not being able to make it (sorry DG )

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Have been to 2 Rhythmriot weekenders at Camber (Rhythm Riot!) and am hoping to do my 3rd this year (am trying to convince Captain Fantastic and Rebecca to join me for that one )

Roll on November!
    I might be going too. My dad runs a vintage clothes business and quite often has a stall at these things.

Thread Information