View Poll Results: Should I cut my hair?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Cutting your hair won't make a difference to him.

8 66.67%
  • No! Cutting your hair is the new relationship kiss of death!

4 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I cut it??

Should I cut it??

I want to cut my hair short, quite short. It is currently long (mid length down my back).

However, there is this cute guy - he's a dancer - (*huge shock - NOT!*) and I had heard somewhere at some point in my life that you shouldn't make major changes to your hair when first getting to know a person. Especially if you've only just met them.

I'm interested.. what are people's thoughts on this? Should I do it? Should I wait? I know it probably shouldn't make a difference, but does it?

Re: Should I cut it??

Have you seen "Sliding Doors"? All I have to say is I never expected the Spanish Inquisition . . .

Mrs Pretzelmeister

Hmmm, that depends. Has he expressed an interest in the length of your hair? I was in a similar situation some years ago - I took it into my head I wanted to go from long & midbrown to short & blonde - but had just met a lovely new man who said something along the lines of 'but I like your hair long' (very gently and not at all dictatorial, I must add). So I let it stay long for a while so he had time to play with it before it got chopped short... but then I decided a) I didn't like the exorbitant price of a hairdresser good enough to be trusted with a fairly radical cut & colour and b) I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of having to keep a short hairstyle short (cut every 6 weeks etc). So I ended up not getting it done, and being quite happy with that decision on my own account.

If he hasn't said anything about it, I don't see why you shouldn't go for it. If he likes you, he'll like you either way (which the abovementioned young man also said to me at the time!). And really, if he can't see past the hair, his opinion isn't worth worrying about, new acquaintance or not!

Conclusion: have your hair the way you want it. Happy snipping!

Commercial Operator

Do not cut your hair. Guys like girls with girlie hair. Short hair is not girlie, it is scary. If you want to frighten your target guy, cut your hair. Otherwise, stay feminine and keep your hair long

I agree with Mr McGregor keep your hair long especially if you have good strong hair. Maybe get a few layers in so you could style it in many different ways or even put a few natural looking lights through.

I remember going from very blonde (for 20 years) to very dark and had a mixed opinion from everyone. Some still say they prefered me blonde!

things will either work out of not with the guy - regardless of what you do to you hair so just do what you want

Quote Originally Posted by Yliander View Post
    things will either work out of not with the guy - regardless of what you do to you hair so just do what you want
    Noooo!!! Don't do it!!!

Seriously, I'd say there's a couple of choices. Personally, I like long hair, some guys will like it short.

If this guy is attracted by the long hair, then don't cut it, until you've got to know each other a bit .... then do what you want!!! [... because he'll then be liking you more emotionally, and the physical won't be quite so important]

Conversely ( ... and it'll be a guess ...) if he likes shorter hair, then cut it short .... leave it a bit (until physical appearances aren't quite so important) then grow it... if you want!!

.... If nothing happens with this new potential for a while .... cut it how yo want!!

... final disclaimer ... confidence is a massive ingredient to confidence. If you're definitely going to feel significantly better about yourself with shorter hair (or any different look for that matter) ... then do it anyway!!

... hope that's all clear!!! lol

Ian

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Do what you want - don't make a decision based on some possible potential guy. If he's interested, he won't be put off by cutting your hair. If he's not, he's not.

If you want to cut your hair, then cut it.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Do what you want - don't make a decision based on some possible potential guy. If he's interested, he won't be put off by cutting your hair. If he's not, he's not.

If you want to cut your hair, then cut it.

The important thing is that you feel good about how you look - and that's a very attractive quality in anyone (in moderation, anyway ) Be you.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Do not cut your hair. Guys like girls with girlie hair. Short hair is not girlie, it is scary. If you want to frighten your target guy, cut your hair. Otherwise, stay feminine and keep your hair long

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd say, if your having to ask us, then your not 100% sure and if as a coinsidence it all goes tits up with this guy, you'll be forever blaming the hair-cut

On a practical note - have you checked the direction of your hairgrowth at the nape of your neck? And all over your head for that matter, there's nothing worse that having a short haircut if it doesn't lay right.. long hair covers up all these issues and actually can be much less work in the long run!

If your hair's very fine and lacking body, you'll be constantly having to apply products to keep it from going too flat (not an issue with long hair) if your hair's course and straight, it might take some skill to stop it looking like a bog-brush. Also, when long hair looks a bit past its best, you always have the option of tying it up.

And the last consideration is, you'll have to budget for getting it cut far more regularly to maintain the shape.. When your hair's 8" long and it grows half an inch, it hardly makes any difference but half an inch when your hair is only 1 1/2 inches long makes all the difference in the world!

Good luck and if you do go ahead, can we see some 'before and after' pics please!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Do not cut your hair. Guys like girls with girlie hair. Short hair is not girlie, it is scary.
    Some guys. By no means all. To my way of thinking, it's not the length - it's how well the style suits you, and how you carry it off. And to add another purely male perspective, yes - short hair can be incredibly attractive. It can even be 'girlie', if that's what floats your boat

I would love to have long hair, but my hair is too fine and just goes straggly if I try and grow it. I now keep mine long at the front and shaved short at the back (sort of Victoria Beckham...and, yes, that is where the similarity ends)

What's the worse that can happen? If you don't like it, it will grow back. At least you can say you tried something different.

I notice a lot of men are saying don't do it. Just ignore that. The ones saying it are old farts who have no idea about style.

If you do get it done, please put a pic on the forum so we can see what it looks like.

The correct answer any time a woman asks if she should get her hair cut is "yes".
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yliander View Post
    things will either work out or not with the guy - regardless of what you do to your hair so just do what you want

The solution would be to ask what he thinks of short hair, as you're thinking of getting it cut. If he likes you, he is hardly going to demand you keep your hair long Getting your partner involved in your personal life is surely a sign of a relationship that may actually go somewhere

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

on a personal note, i generally find short hair much more attractive than long, so don't assume anyone prefers one or the other

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    The solution would be to ask what he thinks of short hair, as you're thinking of getting it cut.
    Actually, that's quite a cunning "introduction" ploy - a female chat-up line, basically.

Sneaky.

Well if you've ever seen me i have very short black spikey hair...and i love it...long hair just isnt me....when i was younger i had naturally blonde hair to the back of my knees....then i told my mum i wanted it cut shock horror she said ok!I had it cut and over the years it got darker and darker but hey ho! If you want to make the step to short hair definately make sure it is the right cut for you face shape....but do it for you and nobody else!! If you dont like it then it will grow back

So go for it!!!!

sigh.. I remember the days when i had long hair. But I got it cut so I didn't look like gadget any more..

I'm a fan of women with long hair (except when I get it caught in my shirt sleeve buttons when doing returns) Call me old fashioned but long hair and a nice long dress is much more sexy that short hair and short skirts etc.

women flow, women are graceful.. and with long flowing locks even more so !!

IMHO .. of course

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    Call me old fashioned
    You're old fashioned

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    but long hair and a nice long dress is much more sexy that short hair and short skirts etc.
    What about short hair and a long dress?

Thread Information