Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holiday suggestions?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Holiday suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
    No, but when Castro goes, he will either be replaced by someone down the Chavez end of the spectrum, and the communism will get tougher, or he will be replaced by a "friend of the US", in which case Havana will become Miami and be overrun by Texans. Castro is not the attraction - the unique culture preserved while Castro lives, is the attraction.
    Ah, that'll be the commie dictatorship then...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
    Hmmm - if you DO go to Cuba, visit the Museum of the Revolution, and see it from their point of view, rather than the USA pov. There's two sides to every story.
    Hardly surprising - a museum called "Museum of the Revolution" probably won't give an objective account

Also, I've seen Godfather II, you know

Yes, Cuba was viciously exploited by the USA up until the revolution. Yes, Castro was and is popular. Yes, the Cuban government achieved many things in terms of education and healthcare, albeit mostly because of massive subsidies from the USSR. Yes, the USA's current policy to Cuba is both counter-productive and dumb.

But, it's still a Marxist-Leninist dictatorship, it still has highly-active "Committees for the Defense of the Revolution" (informers, basically), it doesn't allow elections or free speech, it uses torture, imprisonment, and harassment to suppress opposition... It's basically like Spain 35 years ago; nice place to visit, but you wouldn't really want to live there.

Hmmm, I think I may have gone slightly off-topic...

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    It's basically like Spain 35 years ago; nice place to visit, but you wouldn't really want to live there.
    No, I agree, I wouldn't live there. However in the context of this post, it is a nice place to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    If it's a grand each, you could get yourself on a cruise ship for a fortnight.

I was in Croatia and Slovenia last week and would highly recommend it. We stayed in the cute little town of Rovinj, which has more going for it than just cheap dentistry(!). Loads to do in Croatia - Venice, Dubrovnik, Split, and natural wonders like the Plitvice lakes all within range of the Istrian resorts - but plenty of scope for just chillin' if that's what you want to do.
    Cruise ship, Spain, Italy etc doesn't really tempt me much. Yes, I'd like to go to Spain, Italy etc one day, but mostly I'd like to avoid the biggest tourist traps, and go somewhere slightly 'different'.

Funnily enough, LYF and I have been discussing places like Croatia, Slovenia, Montenegro etc lately, and I went and got some brochures yesterday. Looks absolutely fantastic! You can get some pretty good deals, too, and get multi-centre holidays combining two countries in one holiday. Alternatively we could do it more on a shoestring, get a flight out, stay in hostels/guesthouses, and just travel around a couple of countries, spending a few days in each place.

Tempting...

This might help then Hostelling International - Youth Hostelling for the World

Cheers
    Whitetiger

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518 View Post
    This might help then Hostelling International - Youth Hostelling for the World

Cheers
    Whitetiger
    Youth Hostelling with Chris Eubank?

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTomato View Post
    Youth Hostelling with Chris Eubank?
    Eh where did you get that from? I just did a search for them, and linked to the front page...I just thought it might be useful info for this thread

I really ought not to put my research skills to use when I'm skiving on the forum - It spoils the effect of doing part of my job when I am "supposed" to be skiving in here....Ah well such is life

Whitetiger

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518 View Post
    Eh where did you get that from? I just did a search for them, and linked to the front page...I just thought it might be useful info for this thread

You should go to this web site immediately, as there'll be something you're bound to like...

I've done trips with them to Italy and Spain, and really enjoyed myself. Most of their trips avoid the big tourist traps, but let you experience a slice of the culture of the place you visit.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    You should go to this web site immediately, as there'll be something you're bound to like...

I've done trips with them to Italy and Spain, and really enjoyed myself. Most of their trips avoid the big tourist traps, but let you experience a slice of the culture of the place you visit.
    That does look good, and I have looked at their tours before. But the prices are a bit steep. There's another travel company that offers 1 week in Croatia (huge choice of destinations) plus one week in either Slovenia or Montenegro, flights, hotels, transfers, breakfast etc included for less than £600.....

Or we could fly ou to Slovenia (about £40 one way from London), stay in hostels (from £7-£12 pp/pn), then travel through Slovenia and Croatia using public transport, then fly home from Croatia. Not yet decided what we're going to go for, but are getting together for some planning and discussing options on Saturday.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Glad I found this thread! I'm having the same problem. Want to go on holiday with the family in August. We just cannot decide where to go!! Have looked at everything from Jersey to Canada! I can't lay on a beach for a week,(boring) need to keep the kids amused (12 and 15year old boys) Any help out there?

Reviving this thread...

I'm currently looking for a sunny holiday, not too busy and not too worried about touristy things (in fact, like to avoid them) going early September. Not hotel based either.

For years I've been going to France as my other half's parents lived there but now they've moved back to the UK and we've lost our holiday home

Top of the list at the moment is Gozo (one of the Maltese islands)

Has anyone been there?
    Has anyone been to Malta?
    Any other suggestions?

San Francisco!!!!!

It's beautiful, there is soooo much to see and do and SF has the best food places!!! It's cheap with the exchange rate. There are tonnes of museums and art galleries to see, as well as touristy sights like the golden gate bridge, alcatraz, coit tower, trams, haight st, parks, beaches etc. Also, if you rent a car there are the most gorgeous coastal drives and beaches...

Fantastic nightlife, great bars and clubs, great shopping, friendly happy people! There is always fun, quirky stuff going on. Such a vibrant city!

I love love love SF and used to live there (and left my heart there) so if anyone does decide to go I can recommend loads of great places to go visit (and eat, I know soooo many good food places!)!

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    Glad I found this thread! I'm having the same problem. Want to go on holiday with the family in August. We just cannot decide where to go!! Have looked at everything from Jersey to Canada! I can't lay on a beach for a week,(boring) need to keep the kids amused (12 and 15year old boys) Any help out there?
    As I got no help on here last year We decided to do a Mediterranean cruise. It was a boat that catered for families, as a lot of cruises don't let under 18's on. I'd highly recommend it, the only downside was the 24 hour access to the all inclusive buffets! I never thought I would enjoy a cruise, as I thought I would get bored, but it had plenty of on board entertainment and we stopped somewhere different most days.
    This year I'm going for a complete change. We are going to stay in the centre of Wales, in a log cabin with nothing but hills and sheep to entertain ourselves (and the dog) with. No shopping, no internet, no dancing just lots of walking. Please pray for good weather for me.

Quote Originally Posted by HelenB View Post
    Top of the list at the moment is Gozo (one of the Maltese islands)

Has anyone been there?
    Has anyone been to Malta?
    Any other suggestions?

Been to Malta (with a day trip to Gozo) a few years back at the New Year.

It was very quiet when I was there – just full of old folks saving money by going on holiday for the season. I imagine in summer it's very touristy, though Gozo probably less-so.

Gozo is a bit more up-market than Malta, but it's not Capri, or anything like that.

Malta is really small, but Gozo is tiny, so if you're into sight-seeing, you'd be better on Malta if you don't want to exhaust all the options after the third day.

Would like to go back sometime...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

a cabin in Wales with only sheep to entertain you, well, have fun.

sounds nice and peaceful actually. We had a week in a cousins holiday house in Melrose, which was nice. May go to Canada later on but not sure, maybe EuroDisney is a better bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    This year I'm going for a complete change. We are going to stay in the centre of Wales, in a log cabin with nothing but hills and sheep to entertain ourselves (and the dog) with. No shopping, no internet, no dancing just lots of walking. Please pray for good weather for me.
    When my children were small we stayed in a log cabin in North Wales on a few occassions, they loved it, and plenty to see and do around the Snowdonia National Park, the beaches are lovely too. Hope you have a great time.

Although still got summer hols ahead ,I am now hatching an idea for a winter weekend staying in a log cabin, in the Lake District. The idea of spending time with good friends, enjoying a lovely autumnal day out walking and returning to a log fire and big pan of stew,wine, music and dance should help to break up the winter blues. Nothing like looking ahead
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Quote Originally Posted by Chicklet View Post

And my wildcard is Libya...still hardly any caucasian visitors but lots to see and the people are delighted that you came to their country.
    I grew up in Libya and yes it's a stunning place, lots to see (it's not ALL desert and sand dunes). Does tend to be a bit on the hot side over summer but at least it's dry heat.

Thinking about it, I like most of North Africa (been to Libya, Egypt, Tunisia and Morocco so far). PM me if you want any more details.

One that's on my list is Costa Rica because my Gran lived there for a while and always said it was the most gorgeous place on earth (and she's travelled lots). Not too expensive once you get there either...

I'm sure you'll have a fab holiday (why aren't you just coming down to France for Sea Sun Swing - forget the exotic non-dancing stuff )

FunkyAngel

One other thing I forgot:

I did South Africa on the cheap a few years back and had an amazing time. We stayed in a little B&B run by an artist who was involved in stocking some of the local parks with game and knew most of the elephants and rhinos by name - he insisted on taking us round places and introducing us to where the locals ate - I was amazed at how cheap it is if you stay off the tourist track. Beautiful country in terms of landscape - I found some aspects of the culture and the segregation (well after the end of apartheid) uncomfortable though. I'm sure I still have the details for the B&B...

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Been to Malta (with a day trip to Gozo) a few years back at the New Year.

It was very quiet when I was there – just full of old folks saving money by going on holiday for the season. I imagine in summer it's very touristy, though Gozo probably less-so.

Gozo is a bit more up-market than Malta, but it's not Capri, or anything like that.

Malta is really small, but Gozo is tiny, so if you're into sight-seeing, you'd be better on Malta if you don't want to exhaust all the options after the third day.

Would like to go back sometime...
    Thanks Old folks? Sounds like me

I've booked some flights now to Malta, so I have to do is decide on which farmhouse to rent on Gozo - all with pools (and not that expensive either)

I'm looking forward to a week lazing by the pool, on the beach, snorkelling, diving, walking, and generally not doing too much with a bit of sightseeing thrown in for good measure...

And then the weekend after I get back it's Southport

Mr Darcy and I decided that NYC was a little outside of our budget this year so I have booked us on a 7 night cruise of the Med in mid/late september.

Hopefully we'll enjoy it - I'm a little apprehensive about it

Anyone got more details about cruising - what to remember, ignore, do, not do etc etc? Thanks

Thread Information