Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holiday suggestions?

Re: Holiday suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    My ex keeps going on about Malaysia.... But claims I'd have to take at least 3 weeks to really enjoy it all (jungles, mountains, cities etc). He's a huge fan of Borneo, where he's been a few times because of his work, and has had the opportunity to travel around independently. The only thing putting me off trekking in the jungle is the leeches! He's got some gross photos of his legs covered in leeches, and have showed me plenty of leech bite marks. Yuk!

But yes, Malaysia is tempting. If we can do it on our budget?

Malaysia is fantastic. Try a stop at Sandakan region of Sabah in Malaysia Borneo for some fantastic wildlife. Orangutans are good, the trip to turtle island to see the turtles is fantastic if you like wildlife.

Malaysian food is fantastic. I love Singapore too if you are doing a multi stop adventure. Great for shopping too and loads to see and do and experience.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    I was having a conversation with the children only yesterday about our plans for he future. I plan in about 10 years to sell my house and by a nice 2 bed flat and travel,

I have some fab holiday clubbing in Ibiza

I assume travel plans will be around Southport 2017 ?

If you want alternative do what i did go on a 18-30 to Benidorm and try to get to Peacock Island on a lio. (3 miles out). spend 6hrs out at sea dont get there and miss the pirates night that your mates went on that evening. ps best if you nick the lio and cant find the hotel when you get back to the beach as your a mile up shore,good thing to sober up over

Quote Originally Posted by Spiky Steve View Post

Malaysia is fantastic. Try a stop at Sandakan region of Sabah in Malaysia Borneo for some fantastic wildlife. Orangutans are good, the trip to turtle island to see the turtles is fantastic if you like wildlife.

Malaysian food is fantastic. I love Singapore too if you are doing a multi stop adventure. Great for shopping too and loads to see and do and experience.

Steve
    I’ve done Malaysia and Singapore to as well as Panang (Island off Malaysia)

Warm friendly people and not (I hear as haven’t been) as touristy as Thailand

The evening markets there are great

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    I assume travel plans will be around Southport 2017 ?

If you want alternative do what i did go on a 18-30 to Benidorm and try to get to Peacock Island on a lio. (3 miles out). spend 6hrs out at sea dont get there and miss the pirates night that your mates went on that evening. ps best if you nick the lio and cant find the hotel when you get back to the beach as your a mile up shore,good thing to sober up over
    but tell me S38 did you meet Sticky Vicky

Surley thats a good reason to stay sober

but tell me S38 did you meet Sticky Vicky

Surley thats a good reason to stay sober
    I'm still having counselling for that .....she got me to feel her light bulb to prove it was real. The show was so bad i have seen it 4 times now.

Couple of possibilities spring to my mind in europe;

1. A two or even three centre holiday in Spain - the most obvious places are probably Madrid, Barcelona and Saville. I've not yet been to the latter but can definitely recommend Madrid and Barcelona for culture, food and having a generally fab time. The cafe / street culture has a real buzz about it.

2. Something I did last year was to stay in Bavaria right by the Alps on the Italian border (fab scenary, very peaceful), then take a train to Munich and stop there for a night or two (the art galleries are fab if that is of interest and the cakes in Bavaria are ). The next bit of the holiday was the cunning part - taking the train from Munich to Venice right through the Alps, 700 miles, takes most of the day but the views are superb and it only cost about £25 booked in advance on line. Biggest travel bargain of all time. There is something very special about arriving in Venice by train. Finished off the holiday with a few days in Venice before flying home. If you haven't been to Venice you really must. I was a bit sceptical before I went but it really is quite magical, even in August.

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicklet View Post
    EBD????
    sooo looking forward to seeing if anyone gets that...
    Absolutely! That's the reason I had my first holiday there!!!!! I was a member of FOCS for ages and am quoted in one of their books!!

I have been lucky enough to have lots of different holiday, safari in kenya was very memorable, but probably my trips around Europe have the most memorable, going up St Bernard's pass in Swaziland was wonderful,and seeing those little St Bernard's puppies and I particularly enjoyed Rome.
    I can vouch for Rome, in fact Italy was great, always intended to return.
    Disclaimer trip was in 1980.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    I hear the Cornwall / Penzance area is very popular around September...
    I can definately vouch for Cornwall, especially Penzance/St.Ives area. Been 3 times this century to various bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Leader View Post
    The next bit of the holiday was the cunning part - taking the train from Munich to Venice right through the Alps, 700 miles, takes most of the day but the views are superb and it only cost about £25 booked in advance on line. Biggest travel bargain of all time. There is something very special about arriving in Venice by train. Finished off the holiday with a few days in Venice before flying home. If you haven't been to Venice you really must. I was a bit sceptical before I went but it really is quite magical, even in August.
    Oh yes, Venice is wonderful.

What about a trip on the Orient Express to Venice Little Monkey and Little Yellow Fish?
    I think you continue on to Istanbul then Russia/Siberia.

I have been lucky enough to have lots of different holiday, safari in kenya was very memorable, but probably my trips around Europe have the most memorable, going up St Bernard's pass in Swaziland was wonderful,and seeing those little St Bernard's puppies and I particularly enjoyed Rome.

I was having a conversation with the children only yesterday about our plans for he future. I plan in about 10 years to sell my house and by a nice 2 bed flat and travel, one of my first destinations will be China and the terracotta army, but in-between the big journey, I want to visit a lot of world war two, prominent locations, like the concentration camps, I have visited the bunkers at Dunkirk, even though your not supposed to.

LM I don't supposes these destination 'will do it for you'

I have some fab holiday clubbing in Ibiza

I totally agree on going to see Auchwitz concentration camp. It will be emotional but i think its important that everyone knows what happened all those years ago I am feeling rather priveledged though that i get to visit Normandy in yr 11. This will also be emotional!

1 year maybe i will get my girls together and wel go to Ibiza

I would also love to visit Bankok

Oh and ITALY

Ice cream, shops, dancing and sexy italians (what more could a girl wish for?)

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Mac View Post
    Oh and ITALY

Ahem!! We need to talk young lady!!

Oh and ITALY

Not to mention pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Not to mention pizza.
    oh yes yummy pizza, and opera! and hot chocolates and cauppacinos!

dear god why didnt i think off all them in the first place? hehehe x

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Ahem!! We need to talk young lady!!
    oops looks like im in the doghouse again!!

sorry daddy x

(but u did have a gd fathers day didnt u? )

oh yes yummy pizza, and opera! and hot chocolates and cauppacinos!

dear god why didnt i think off all them in the first place? hehehe x
    ......and Pasta

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    ......and Pasta
    Yes pasta would be yummy! But i had that last night!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    Have thought of Cuba........
    Definitely go to Cuba, now, while Castro is still around, while it is still unique, and before it changes for ever.

Music, dancing, timewarp culture, Carribean beaches, very few Americans; something for everyone (except for gourmets - the food isnt great). PM me for some recommendations of places in Cuba to visit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
    Definitely go to Cuba, now, while Castro is still around, while it is still unique, and before it changes for ever.
    Is Castro a tourist attraction then?

Maybe there's a market there - "come see your favourite commie dictator" tours... I wonder if Kim Jong-il would be up for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
    Music, dancing, timewarp culture, Carribean beaches, very few Americans; something for everyone (except for gourmets - the food isnt great). PM me for some recommendations of places in Cuba to visit.
    If you don't know how to salsa, I wouldn't go to Cuba, as a dancer, because it's likely to be quite frustrating seeing all these people dancing and not being able to join in.

Plus, there's the whole "commie dictatorship" thing, which personally makes me feel a little iffy on the morality side of things...

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Is Castro a tourist attraction then?
    No, but when Castro goes, he will either be replaced by someone down the Chavez end of the spectrum, and the communism will get tougher, or he will be replaced by a "friend of the US", in which case Havana will become Miami and be overrun by Texans. Castro is not the attraction - the unique culture preserved while Castro lives, is the attraction.

If you don't know how to salsa, I wouldn't go to Cuba, as a dancer, because it's likely to be quite frustrating seeing all these people dancing and not being able to join in.
    Fair point

Plus, there's the whole "commie dictatorship" thing, which personally makes me feel a little iffy on the morality side of things...
    Hmmm - if you DO go to Cuba, visit the Museum of the Revolution, and see it from their point of view, rather than the USA pov. There's two sides to every story.

An Eclectic Toaster

If it's a grand each, you could get yourself on a cruise ship for a fortnight. We went on a Med cruise late last year which was great - like having 7 mini-breaks all rolled together into a fortnight, and you can do the "lying about sunning yourself" bit on the days at sea between destinations. Only downside was that the average age on our boat was about 60, as it was a late season cruise. Conversely, apparently during the mid-season the ship was overrun with kids. But that was our boat, I'm sure there are some which aim for a different crowd.

I was in Croatia and Slovenia last week and would highly recommend it. We stayed in the cute little town of Rovinj, which has more going for it than just cheap dentistry(!). Loads to do in Croatia - Venice, Dubrovnik, Split, and natural wonders like the Plitvice lakes all within range of the Istrian resorts - but plenty of scope for just chillin' if that's what you want to do.

Thread Information