Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holiday suggestions?

Holiday suggestions?

Right, if you had a budget of £1000, and wanted to go on a holiday, where would you go?

Little Yellow Fishy and myself are looking for a holiday in sept/oct, for 14 days (+). Open to any suggestions, but don't just want to go and lie on the beach for two weeks. Beach and clubbing in Ibiza sounds like some sort of nightmare to me... Some kind of activities/touring would be good. Wildlife/safari, nature, culture..... All things we'd like.

Thailand is not an option. We were thinking of Sri Lanka (can get a 7 day tour + 7 days beach for under £1000, all inclusive!), but after reading reports of civil war and terrorist bombings, I don't think so.... Kenya/Tanzania is also tempting, but might just stretch our budget....

Have thought of Cuba........

Oh gods, so many places to choose from, and with only £1000 and limited time, where to go?????

Confused Little Monkey

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

Re: Holiday suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    Right, if you had a budget of £1000, and wanted to go on a holiday, where would you go?

Little Yellow Fishy and myself are looking for a holiday in sept/oct, for 14 days (+). Open to any suggestions, but don't just want to go and lie on the beach for two weeks. Beach and clubbing in Ibiza sounds like some sort of nightmare to me... Some kind of activities/touring would be good. Wildlife/safari, nature, culture..... All things we'd like.

Thailand is not an option. We were thinking of Sri Lanka (can get a 7 day tour + 7 days beach for under £1000, all inclusive!), but after reading reports of civil war and terrorist bombings, I don't think so.... Kenya/Tanzania is also tempting, but might just stretch our budget....

Oh gods, so many places to choose from, and with only £1000 and limited time, where to go?????

Confused Little Monkey
    Mainland Spain? I love Seville and Barcelona....

Australias fab but I don't think your budget will go that far...

I've had four fabulous walking/sightseeing holidays in Austria... the Tyrol is spectacular and almost better in the summer than the winter... try Pertisau or Jenbach for small town cute...

Norway? Fabulous in the summer - mountains, hiking... but expensive for beer!!

One of the best holidays I had was in Yorkshire......selfcatering cottage near Middleham... it was FABULOUS!! Great food... Wensleydale was lovely...so was the cheese!!

just a few suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Mezzosoprano View Post
    Norway? Fabulous in the summer - mountains, hiking... but expensive for beer!!
    Er.... I go there every year, 'cus that's where I'm from!

Have thought of Spain, Greece, Cyprus etc.... But want to avoid the biggest tourist resorts. My brother keeps saying I should go to Crete, he's totally in love with the place!

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

Er.... I go there every year, 'cus that's where I'm from!

Have thought of Spain, Greece, Cyprus etc.... But want to avoid the biggest tourist resorts. My brother keeps saying I should go to Crete, he's totally in love with the place!
    Sorry LM - Didn't know you were Norwegian...I'm passionate about it 'cos my Auntie married Uncle Bjorn and I used to go lots as a kid....

Crete is nice - how about Turkey? relatively cheap and very different culturally but within striking distance without it being a pain in the bottom to get to (literally!)

Try Malaysia, Catherine. I've been three times..............Penang to recharge the batteries and eat well and then KL for the hustle bussle of city life....lots of familiar Western big names but also friendly native haunts.....Chinatown and the night markets are greatly entertaining and the shopping just fab.

You can also check out the forrests of Borneo or for someone like you used to the colder climate try the Cameron Highlands......obviously I've never been there

Travelmood have some excellent deals just now

Good luck XX

Sorry LM - Didn't know you were Norwegian...I'm passionate about it 'cos my Auntie married Uncle Bjorn and I used to go lots as a kid....

Crete is nice - how about Turkey? relatively cheap and very different culturally but within striking distance without it being a pain in the bottom to get to (literally!)
    Norway is lovely (if I may say so myself), but I'm definitely wanting to explore slightly more far flung places and slightly warmer climes. Although Norwegian summers are IMHO second to none.... My brother's been complaining for the past two weeks that it's too hot! And he went swimming in a nearby lake the other day, and it was over 22C in the water....

Anyhoo - I've been to Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Russia, Belarus, Poland, Germany, France, couple of places in the US........ Oh, and Ireland, Scotland, Wales and Englandshire, of course! The only 'warm' place I've been to is Morocco.... So definitely would like to go somewhere other than northern or eastern Europe!

Hmmmm..... Turkey? Could be good. Need to run ideas by LYF.

New Zealand has...um....me

We also have plenty of sheep ('cause we know you'll be missing yours) and a couple of mountains. There are even some non-colonial natives

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Pants View Post
    Try Malaysia, Catherine.
    My ex keeps going on about Malaysia.... But claims I'd have to take at least 3 weeks to really enjoy it all (jungles, mountains, cities etc). He's a huge fan of Borneo, where he's been a few times because of his work, and has had the opportunity to travel around independently. The only thing putting me off trekking in the jungle is the leeches! He's got some gross photos of his legs covered in leeches, and have showed me plenty of leech bite marks. Yuk!

But yes, Malaysia is tempting. If we can do it on our budget?

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Monkey View Post

We also have plenty of sheep ('cause we know you'll be missing yours) and a couple of mountains. There are even some non-colonial natives
    Aaaaw! I'd love to come and visit!

Right.... Need to discuss with LYF!

PS - only a couple of mountains?

I went to Turkey for 15 days on that sort of budget last year - and can highly recommend it - a beautiful country full of amazing contrasts

I went in late october - just on the end of the season - so everything was open but not nasty full of tourists. The tour was a good mix doing things and relaxing on beaches, organised time and time to wander as you wished - the age range was from around 20 to 70.

I can PM you details of the tour company if you want.

. The only thing putting me off ......... is the leeches!
    Better those than the ones sucking the life out of you.

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Monkey View Post
    And...um...me. But only for another 3.5 weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    And...um...me. But only for another 3.5 weeks!
    So you should be safe if you head down here around late July Little Monkey

Penang to recharge the batteries and eat well
    Can I suggest London for this... In Englandshire we can recharge batteries by using a socket in the wall, a recharging kit and what us clever people like to refer to as 'electricity'

for the hustle bussle of city life....
    Oooh, what about London

lots of familiar Western big names but also friendly native haunts.....
    You could try London for this

Chinatown and the night markets are greatly entertaining and the shopping just fab.
    Have you thought of London?

Last year I went to Luxor - Egypt and stayed at the Sofitel Karnac hotel on the Nile. It was the best holiday that me and my teenage daughter had been on so far. I managed to get it for £290 each full board. There are no beaches but we had the most beautful landscape gardens and 3 pools on site. We watched all the little fishing boats down the Nile and every evening sat on the terrace and watched the sunset into the Valley of the Kings. I could go on and on. Planning to go back to Egypt this summer.

Oh one more thing we went the end of July to beginning of August yes it is very hot but you get used to it. That seems to be the cheap time.

Blog Entries

Completely agree Malaysia is wonderful, so many contrasts, a lovely laid back atmosphere and everyday "stuff" is really cheap. I can recommend the train if you want to dart about a bit...First Class Aircon from KL to Singapore (about 7 hrs) cost £8 last year....(the three nights at Raffles were a wee bit more ). Be prepared for the fact that it will CHUCK IT DOWN with rain out of the blue at random intervals.

Everyone who can should do a Nile Cruise at least once, I think folks often go thinking they'll do a couple of the trips and then end up on them all because the history is so fascinating.

And if you're feeling a bit more adventurous - Jordan is amazing - Roman towns, Petra, Dead Sea, Wadi Ruum etc check out Voyages Jules Verne journeys throughout the World for the discerning traveller for their tours, well within your budget.

And my wildcard is Libya...still hardly any caucasian visitors but lots to see and the people are delighted that you came to their country.

Now I must run to catch my flight to Oslo!

Blog Entries

I've had four fabulous walking/sightseeing holidays in Austria... the Tyrol is spectacular and almost better in the summer than the winter... try Pertisau or Jenbach for small town cute...
    EBD????
    sooo looking forward to seeing if anyone gets that...

I hear the Cornwall / Penzance area is very popular around September...

on second thoughts.. no I want to keep it just for Twirly and Myself !!

I have been lucky enough to have lots of different holiday, safari in kenya was very memorable, but probably my trips around Europe have the most memorable, going up St Bernard's pass in Swaziland was wonderful,and seeing those little St Bernard's puppies and I particularly enjoyed Rome.

I was having a conversation with the children only yesterday about our plans for he future. I plan in about 10 years to sell my house and by a nice 2 bed flat and travel, one of my first destinations will be China and the terracotta army, but in-between the big journey, I want to visit a lot of world war two, prominent locations, like the concentration camps, I have visited the bunkers at Dunkirk, even though your not supposed to.

LM I don't supposes these destination 'will do it for you'

I have some fab holiday clubbing in Ibiza

Confused Little Monkey

Went to Kenya and did Safari on the cheap , don’t recommend doing a safari on the cheap (ie a less well known game reserve). Less animals there

But you have beach scuba etc then various tours

Got a lot of hassle in Kenya

How about Mexico , some where with within 200 miles of cacun or even in Cancun and then a week on beach there and then of to Chicken Itza (and the ruins etc) with a 3 /4 day tour. That’s nice

Egypt say Cairo then red sea

A cruise in the med then 7 days somewhere , that was nice

Loads of options, want me to post the pics

ps i assume your talking £999

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

How about Mallorca (for one of your weeks) in October with Jive Addiction?

Thread Information