4 18.18%
  • 151-160

4 18.18%
  • Really clever

7 31.82%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's your IQ?

Re: What's your IQ?

What I find quite amusing is that I understand (i.e. I can't remember where I read this) but RJ Sternberg, who in the late eighties, was one of the top men in IQ research had a relatively low IQ but through application became one of the academics in this field.

I can't remember who postulated this but there is a theory that creativity/musicianship is correlated to IQ up to a reading of 120. Beyond that it doesn't matter whether you have a really high IQ or not as a determinant of success in the musical field (and presumably other fields as well....may be not physics!).

I tend to think of IQ as being a kind of Craig Johnstone. Basic speed of symbol retention and manipulation. But it is only one factor of the ability to achieve a successful outcome over time. Another factor could be skill, built up over time (experience) and another could motivation. Thus

Achievement = IQ X Skill/ Experience X Motivation

Hence the difference between Kenny Dalglish and Craig Johnstone. THe latter had a great engine, loads of energy and some skill. The former had tons of skill but less of an engine but overall was a better player.

Just thinking aloud.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ste
    I can't remember who postulated this but there is a theory that creativity/musicianship is correlated to IQ up to a reading of 120. Beyond that it doesn't matter whether you have a really high IQ or not as a determinant of success in the musical field (and presumably other fields as well....may be not physics!).

I read that although Einstein had a fairly ordinary IQ, over time he was indeed a genius. IQ tests how quickly you can do mental tests so someone with a lower IQ may still be smarter than someone with a very high one.

Theres also the fact that continual practice will improve your score, but this will make you smarter mentally too so its not something to be dismissed as 'cheating'- the brain needs to be trained like anything else.

I found that, in life, being nice to people stands you in much better stead than anything you might 'be' - what goes around, comes around

but...what i want to know is, what would woodfaces IQ drop to if there was a spelling and grammer section in the test ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    grammer)
    Or even spelling...!

If you believe in evolution the optimum IQ for a human being is close to 100.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    If you believe in evolution the optimum IQ for a human being is close to 100.
    This reminds me of something I heard on the radio the other day "if we evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?"

If I was really clever I'd know the answer to this one.

I think DF is right about the time limits on IQ tests. I've always been good at these tests because I'm fairly quick witted. I can usually answer all the questions in the time alotted. But I wouldn't answer any differently if I had more time. Maybe somebody, who takes more time to answer and couldn't complete the paper in the time given, would give more correct answers. So who would be the cleverer of the two? IMHO it would be the person who gave the most correct answers - because most things in the real life outside the examination room do not have to be completed in 2 hours or 30 mins or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    This reminds me of something I heard on the radio the other day "if we evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?"

If I was really clever I'd know the answer to this one.
    because we didn't evolve from the monkeys like we have today. We all evolved down separate branches from the same root. we both have a common ancestor .. we evolved opposable thumbs, they didn't we learned to walk upright.. they didn't.

It's a bit like asking "Why are all cats not tigers?"

or even worse... "Which came first the chicken or the egg?"

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    because we didn't evolve from the monkeys like we have today. We all evolved down separate branches from the same root. we both have a common ancestor .. we evolved opposable thumbs, they didn't we learned to walk upright.. they didn't.

I think it's also interesting to wonder why agragrian societies, industrialisation etc took so long to happen? Anatomically modern humans have been around for thousands of years - and were presumably (on average) as intelligent as we are today. So why did it take us so long to develop technological societies?

Commercial Operator

And there was me thinking we'd come from a crashed space-ship.

p.s. I did know this stuff as I did my degree in Biology, but I don't know it any more. I have a vague recollection that I once knew it - hazy recollections of darkened lecture theatres, trying to stay awake, it all seems like it happened to somebody else. Will I ever be that clever again

Ooh, I've got this one!

It depends on if you're a creationist or evolutionist.

Creationism: Chicken - God created creatures, not the fertilized egg
    Evolution: Egg - The egg that was hatched from the pre-chicken chicken that was mutated in to the current day chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    I've got a reasonably good IQ but this gets more than compensated by a clinically poor memory and a pathlogical need to open mouth before engaging brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    snip.... However, I do take exception to the automatic assumption that 'High IQ = Low Commonsense' though. Thats just too glib.

I have never taken the IQ test but would be low down in the ratings, methinks, my son took it aged about 13 and got into Mensa and although it does not mean much as a parent I was so proud of him

Thread Information