Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MJ website Hall of Shame

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

MJ website Hall of Shame

Just been looking on various MJ websites. Anyone else notice how bad they are in general?

Hideous.

Anyone else seen any worth a look at?

Two from the Hastings area to get you started

http://www.klubjive.co.uk/

Lovely use of Yellow, Red and grey that manages to give you a headache as soon as the screen pops up. Add scrolling Text and 'Comical' moving clip art and you are sure of a migrane before you even find out where the classes are held.

www. HotshotsDanceLeroc.co.uk

No one told the owner that hotshots also dance Ceroc, Salsa and now (apparently) WCS!!!

Use of every colour going in the text, A picture gallarey that has uncompressed pictures yet you cant expand them to see detail. Links with some boarders others without and a page that does not fit on the screen!!

Re: MJ website Hall of Shame

Ceroc London - particularly the diary - has one of the most hideous websites I've ever seen (sorry folks!). It's enough to give you a migraine just looking at it, and it always takes some concentration to figure out what is actually on.

Personally, I like clean and simple websites - design that's easy on the eye.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Ceroc London - particularly the diary - has one of the most hideous websites I've ever seen (sorry folks!). It's enough to give you a migraine just looking at it, and it always takes some concentration to figure out what is actually on.

oooooooo thats horrible. how many times do you need to know the diary is 2007? Is it just me or does the escape animation not only slow down your browser but also have a hypnotic effect?

Another case of using as many colours as poss?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Everyone does. Except for some of the people "designing" the sites, who often seem to have the Information Architecture skills of a 5-year-old. Actually, that's a bit harsh on 5-year-olds.

It's been said before, but for an organisation that prides itself on standardisation, Ceroc seems pretty poor at providing standardisation for franchisee websites. At the least, you'd expect to see some consistency in navigation and colour schemes.

It's an obvious area where Ceroc could have a real competitive advantage, but they seem content to let all their sites look like different types of junk.

Although the ceroc.com site itself is pretty abysmal, you need three clickthroughs to get anywhere

As for good examples - in my view both the Utopia site and the Jive Nation site are pretty good.

Neither are perfect - the Utopia site has a pointless "click here to enter" page, and the JN site is too busy - but they're at least consistent and have relatively easy navigation.

I guess one can only assume that Ceroc HQ doesn't seem to think the Web is very important. Hell, it's probably a fad, it'll die away in a years' time anyway.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Question.. what's the point of getting to the home page of a website, then being asked to 'click here' to enter?

sometimes they also have Sub sections, where you click on a link and your presented with yet another page with 'click here' to enter again?

there must be a reason for it, I just can't think of one
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Question.. what's the point of getting to the home page of a website, then being asked to 'click here' to enter?

sometimes they also have Sub sections, where you click on a link and your presented with yet another page with 'click here' to enter again?

there must be a reason for it, I just can't think of one

Yes, bad design!

Onkar

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    oooooooo thats horrible. how many times do you need to know the diary is 2007? Is it just me or does the escape animation not only slow down your browser but also have a hypnotic effect?

Another case of using as many colours as poss?
    And on a black background too - suspect if you made that white or a pale colour, it wouldn't look half as bad.

The other problem with that website is out-of-date and often inaccurate information. They recently changed the Clapham Grand to Jongleurs on a Monday night, and apart from a weird set of links, it said that it launched at Jongleurs on Monday 4th June, but when you looked further down, it said that classes were on Wednesdays, and taught by George Rundle... when infact they are taught by Ruth I think that's been changed now - I e-mailed them to clarify (and was told that the Wednesday night was moving too).

And it's not the first time it's happened either.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

To balance, One that seem to have got it right(ish)

GingerJive

GingerJive

That is an excellent site, clear, concise, entertaining, informative and easy to use

GingerJive
    No!!!

Web sites that make any sound without me asking for it first and then don't provide an obvious way to shut it up should be nuked from high orbit. (It's the only way to be sure.)
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    No!!!

Web sites that make any sound without me asking for it first and then don't provide an obvious way to shut it up should be nuked from high orbit. (It's the only way to be sure.)

I agree. At work with sound off so didn't notice. Visually it looks OK though.

Any other really bad ones?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    It's been said before, but for an organisation that prides itself on standardisation, Ceroc seems pretty poor at providing standardisation for franchisee websites. At the least, you'd expect to see some consistency in navigation and colour schemes.
    Yup, the ceroc.css stylesheet and logo pack. That would be a good (though not great) start.

Although the ceroc.com site itself is pretty abysmal, you need three clickthroughs to get anywhere
    More importantly they've got links to (the US Ceroc for example) that are dead on their front page. That's a great way to stop potential customers!

Neither are perfect - the Utopia site has a pointless "click here to enter" page
    Yes and the Home button takes you back to that splash (rather than a second index).

They sometimes put disclaimers on those front pages, some computer game sites (and others I'm sure) state you've got to be old enough to be aware of the fact that WWII: The World War II Shooter Part 19 might contain pictures of virtual soldiers being shot and youn' uns shouldn't click here in some very flimsy attempt to not be sued by angry parents. I suppose language selection (though that should be able to be done automatically). It smacks of poor design though.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm struggliing to think of a good reason myself - there's no "disclaimer" or other "I accept" function. Perhaps it's a warning? Abandon hope, all ye who enter here?

But as I said, ceroc.com has (effectively) two "click to enter" pages, which is clearly Evil.

Any other really bad ones?
    There's a thread about this:
    http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/l...-websites.html

Pretty much all franchisee sites are poor-to-abysmal. The only decent ones are the directory ones - modernjive.com, jivoholic, lyndaslist, etc. - because they have a clear purpose.

In theory it gives you a page where you can put up a big advert and pretty much nothing else except "Click here" . Useful for getting across information to people eg the next weekender.

In practice............... I particularly like the websites that cunningly hide the "click here" so you have to spend ages moving the cursor randomly round the screen to get in

Although to be fair to website designers it's often the client's fault. I know a guy who's private website is sooooooo easy to navigate and gets wound up when a client wants everything in pink and green, with Flash, oh and what about.........

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here's a perfect example of what I'm talking about

There's no over 18 warning, I don't have to agree to any terms etc. and it doesn't say 'WARNING, enter at you peril!

Utopia Dance - Home
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

The problem with "front door" pages on web sites is that when you search for the web site via Google, you tend to find a more useful page that's behind the front door. Or if you bookmark the site, you'll bookmark a more useful page.

Thus any useful purpose the front door page has is lost.

Although they look nice, like the cover of a book. In use, they just annoy people.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Thus any useful purpose the front door page has is lost.
    Lets make this clear - there is NO useful purpose to a "front door" page. Its like buying a newspaper that has nothing on the front page except for the title and "Please turn the page for the news" in bold. Totally daft.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Lets make this clear - there is NO useful purpose to a "front door" page. Its like buying a newspaper that has nothing on the front page except for the title and "Please turn the page for the news" in bold. Totally daft.
    Well, there are some reasonable uses mentioned above – like a content warning, or to put particularly important notices – but as I said, people tend to skip the front page, making it a lot less useful...

The Jive Aces site is really good - music at the start, but you can turn if off straight away if you want to.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Thread Information